400 Whelen - platform base?

MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberPosts: 4,753 Senior Member
So my barrel is finished,  and it's time to send the action.  

What I'm stuck on is -

1903 w/receiver sight only, which would require a barrel band front sight
-or-
Win 70 Classic which I could just run with a scope and/opens. 

Max reliable range is probably 250-300 max. Iffin I went scope it'll be a low power, maybe 1-4. 

A Springfield is classic,  and what the good Colonel used, but the M70 is practical and longer magazine

What say you?
Wambli Ska wrote: »
Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 28,191 Senior Member
    Model 70 and 1.75-6 Leupold for a scope.  But neither is a bad choice.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,753 Senior Member
    That also solves the problem of "fixing" a spare M70 and relieving it of its offensive 6.8mm barrel
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Seems like a win-win to me...  that would be a classic do all big game setup.  From elk to bear, from touching distance to as far as you’d care to launch a .40 at a big critter.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Seems like a win-win to me...  that would be a classic do all big game setup.  From elk to bear, from touching distance to as far as you’d care to launch a .40 at a big critter.
    Small hiccup. I bought a new stock off fleabay. It came of a Rifles, Inc Strata. I got it for a LOT less than it is worth. Strata stocks are made in house, and those rifles are in the nice used Mazda price range.  I have tennis shoes that weigh more than this stock! I put several different M70's in it and most would need some glass taken out (which I did) to get it to fit before re-glassing. However, that dang 270 action fit in almost perfect, and the weight of that combo is amazing, didn't have a scale, but it was closer to my Marlin 60's than my MPI stocked M70's. 

I guess I could still use that 270 for the 400 and just keep fiddling away to make my misfit M70 action fit (7mm rem I bought from a friend, I had the bolt fluted, and will be swapping it to my other M70 to be re-chambered to 270 Wby here shortly) and figure out what to do with said action (now with a .473 bolt) later. 
    The value of the 1903 is sentimental only, because its been tapped for the peep. But never tapped for scope mounts. Guess I could just as well have it tapped, or run it with the peeps. Also have been looking at relfex sights. I could leave the front bridge alone, and just tap the rear to have that set up. Starting to find favor with big bore shooters 
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,241 Senior Member
    My .35 Whelen is on a 1909 Oberndorf/Argentine action. The Classic 1909 Argentine. 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    My .35 Whelen is on a 1909 Oberndorf/Argentine action. The Classic 1909 Argentine. 
    I hate you
    I have a Belgian FN and a Husky, but missed out on 3 1909 auctions.  
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,388 Senior Member
    That also solves the problem of "fixing" a spare M70 and relieving it of its offensive 6.8mm barrel
    Blasphemy! I tell you!

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 566 Senior Member
    I vote M70 with a Leupold 1.5-4x20.

My .35 Whelen is is on a 1908 Brazilian Mauser.  Would like a 1909, but they are getting pricy.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,241 Senior Member
    There's a brazillion of those floating around. 

It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,272 Senior Member
    M70 gets my vote
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Well M70 has been delivered to Iowa! At the last second I ended up sending my CRF 25-06 M70. Reason I went with this gun was I lost an eBay auction for a Win factory Featherweight laminate stock that had the magnum barrel channel. It would have been perfect!! Wasn't paying attention at the end and my email notification of being outbid showed up late. That 25-06 came with a factory sporter laminate stock, and the action had already been bedded (not the barrel) and I figure heck, that'll do for an all weather dangerous game gun just fine. It'll be a little heavy but I guess when launching 300-400 gr bullets over 2000 fps, a little weight may not be a bad idea  :#

I'm watching a few auctions on Leupold 1.5's and VX-Hogs, but I also recently purchased a VX-1 2-7x33 on clearance from BPS. As well, I just won an auction for a Zeiss 2-7x33 Terra. I have the VX-1 on the 375 right now and it really lightened up the weight, but I may change that out when the Zeiss arrives. 

But thanks everyone for pushing me over the fence on using the M70. I had the 1903 boxed up and ready to tape and ship, but your clearer heads prevailed!

Oh man I can’t wait to see this one!  I’m almost an excited as you 😁
    Oh man I can’t wait to see this one!  I’m almost an excited as you 😁
    Cause you're living vicariously through my builds lol. 

It'll be a little pricey to shoot component wise, but fun! I've found a new addiction to old and forgotten/obscure rounds. Its fun! Although I still have that 1903 not doing anything...and a new brass company just started making 40 Newton brass....I've also got a couple .375" barrels. I mean, if I have a 400 Whelen, soon a 35 Whelen, maybe I cover the gap with a 375 Whelen!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,388 Senior Member
    You got it all, Whelen, and Willie and the Boys!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,378 Senior Member
    Can't go wrong with a Model 70
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    bellcat said:
    Can't go wrong with a Model 70
    that is why I have 11 of em