It's going to be interesting at work for a while.

LinefinderLinefinder ModeratorPosts: 4,120 Senior Member
I consider myself 50% of a machinist, and optimistically, 20% of a toolmaker. I work in a 3 man shop, and the other 2 guys are actual toolmakers. They can make molds or dies with equal aplomb. That pretty much says it all for their skill level. One guy stepped on something at home three months ago and didn't go see the doctor. Half his foot has rotted off and if he comes back at all, it'll be late fall. I get back from 2 weeks vacation and found out the other guy, (my "mentor") turned in his 2 week notice and is going to work for the local utility company for twice the money. I don't have the skill sets to replace either of these guys, and that's going to become quickly obvious, but probably no surprise to the higher ups. Wish me luck. It's gonna get worse before it gets better. Mike
Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
KSU Firefighter

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,691 Senior Member
    Follow your mentor?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,616 Senior Member
    Sounds like you and Br'er Rabbit have something in common. You both got thrown in the briar patch. In a situation like you're in, you're just going to do what you can, and the higher ups are gonna have to do some fast hiring of someone with the skills they lost with one injured, and one going elsewhere. Just hang in there!
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,120 Senior Member
    He, and his wife, mentioned that...a few times at dinner Friday night. But, I'll be 60 in October, and just don't know if I have it in me to start over again.
    KSU Firefighter
    He, and his wife, mentioned that...a few times at dinner Friday night. But, I'll be 60 in October, and just don't know if I have it in me to start over again.
    If you enjoy the work AND the co-workers AND get paid 2X as much as you are now, you are over thinking the starting over thing. 2X the money= a trip to Tennessee  over memorial day weekend.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    tennmike said:
    Sounds like you and Br'er Rabbit have something in common. You both got thrown in the briar patch. In a situation like you're in, you're just going to do what you can, and the higher ups are gonna have to do some fast hiring of someone with the skills they lost with one injured, and one going elsewhere. Just hang in there!
    That's exactly what my older sister told me yesterday. You two make a lot of sense.:)
    KSU Firefighter
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,032 Senior Member
    o:)
    I have a need for speed
    CHIRO1989 said:
    If you enjoy the work AND the co-workers AND get paid 2X as much as you are now, you are over thinking the starting over thing. 2X the money= a trip to Tennessee  over memorial day weekend.
    Okayyy....I just ROLF'ed.
    KSU Firefighter
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,653 Senior Member
    Gotta agree with Mike. And the Doc has a good point to. 
    Best advice I can give? Measure twice, cut once. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,261 Senior Member
    I hope it works out as a betterment of you situation.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,264 Senior Member
    You’ll rise to the occasion, I’m sure of it.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,032 Senior Member
    You’ll rise to the occasion, I’m sure of it.
    He is right

Semper Fi Mack
    I have a need for speed
    cpj said:
    Glad you showed up. I was hoping you would. These guys can grind an ejector pin down to .020, cut a .005 slot through the EXACT middle of it, then put a .004 radius on the end of it. In my best dream.....not happening. Mike
    KSU Firefighter
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,951 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    This... Don't pressure yourself into thinking that circumstances require you to suddenly become something you are not
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,287 Senior Member
    OTOH, you'll learn a LOT in a very short time...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • GilaGila Posts: 164 Member
    Don't sell yourself short Linefinder.  Just step up to the plate and knock it out of the park...
    To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.  Sun Tzŭ
    Thanks, all. I appreciate the advice and well wishes. My only worry, really, is that actual toolmakers are hard to come by in Colorado Springs. We got lucky finding the last two in such a close timeframe. We have machinists out the butt. But, toolmakers....that's another story. They don't grow on trees, and 2-3 Decades is the apprenticeship. Most toolmakers are old.
    KSU Firefighter
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,295 Senior Member
    edited July 8 #18
    2x the money = NO BRAINER.
    The Chiro is correct.

vaya con Dios mi amigo otherwise
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet said:
    The Chiro is correct.

Yeah, they hired him at 2X the money....he's a Toolmaker. I'm half a machinist. Not quite the same skill set. If hiring was based on personality and ability to "get along with peers", he'd never stand a chance against me. But...skills count, and I don't have them compared to him.
    KSU Firefighter
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,295 Senior Member
    Well, I wish you luck at the old place then
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Hmm.. Maybe it's time to start listening. Thank you, Paul.
    KSU Firefighter
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,653 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Glad you showed up. I was hoping you would. These guys can grind an ejector pin down to .020, cut a .005 slot through the EXACT middle of it, then put a .004 radius on the end of it. In my best dream.....not happening. Mike
    I’d LOVE to have access to the equipment that can do it. Because I’d figure it out, or, grow old trying. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    I'm growing old trying.
    KSU Firefighter
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,255 Senior Member
    D you stay, ask for a raise. 
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,414 Senior Member
    Hang in there, I'm confident you will make it. Good employees are hard to find.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,951 Senior Member
    edited July 9 #26
    cpj said:
    cpj said:
    I’d LOVE to have access to the equipment that can do it. Because I’d figure it out, or, grow old trying. 
    That's the attitude to have right there!
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,516 Senior Member
    You'll grow into the position.  And Br'er Fox didn't get thrown in the briar patch, he pretended that was his greatest fear so Br'er Fox would throw him into the briar patch, and then said "Born and bred in the briar patch!"  It was what he wanted.  Maybe you'll flourish in the briar patch...you can't be expected to know any more than you know.  I suppose, unlike Br'er Rabbit you'll have a learning curve.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 417 Member
    cpj said:
    I can’t add anymore than this. He actually beat me to the punchline, word for word with measure twice, cut once. I’m a third generation machinist and the difference between a machinist and tool and die maker is creativity.
    knitepoet said:
    The Chiro is correct.

Yeah, they hired him at 2X the money....he's a Toolmaker. I'm half a machinist. Not quite the same skill set. If hiring was based on personality and ability to "get along with peers", he'd never stand a chance against me. But...skills count, and I don't have them compared to him.
    If your mentor wants you to follow him, that should be investigated. 
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,434 Senior Member
    Cant add very much to this conversation Mike as everyone else seems to have covered it except to say that I hope things turn out well for you.

And I still intend to share a beer with you one day......
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 5,835 Senior Member
    Necessity is a hell of a motivator, and it can also be the best teacher.  In the short term, things will be (as you said) "interesting"... but that isn't always a bad thing.  In the long term, you learn a few things.  Learning is never a bad thing.  Buckle up, is gonna be bumpy, but it should be enjoyable, too.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin