It's going to be interesting at work for a while.

2»

Replies

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,031 Senior Member
    The only thing I'll say is, if you think you're too old..., you're not. If you make a change in jobs, you will still have everything you had when you quit the last one, just a new address to report to work. Every change I've made has been a step up, not a step back. My last job change occurred at 62!
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,254 Senior Member
    The only thing I'll say is, if you think you're too old..., you're not. If you make a change in jobs, you will still have everything you had when you quit the last one, just a new address to report to work. Every change I've made has been a step up, not a step back. My last job change occurred at 62!
    I agree.  I shed jobs every 3 years to move up in the food chain.  It has worked out great and I still have a few future versions of me to be explored...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,999 Senior Member
    Every journey begins with a single step, Grasshopper.

Be yourself, do your best, and let the chips fall where they may. They won't fire you for being the same guy you have always been, and you may even be much better than you think.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,092 Senior Member

I wish I had some really great advice Mike, but everything that I could say has already been said.  You're in my thoughts and prayers, and I know you'll make the best of the situation.

It's who you are.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,965 Senior Member
    I have found that being honest about ones abilities is easy, especially when the task is new. It is damn easy to say can’t. 

I am stubborn though, I tell the boss man I haven’t figured this out YET. I also tell the boss man “I am not the world’s best electrician, but I am the best one you have.” 

Turning good stock into scrap metal is part of learning. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,614 Senior Member
    Mike, ya got put on the spot, and that's a fact. But you DID learn a new skill, machining, and you learned pretty quick. You'll probably have to do some stuff outside your comfort level, make some mistakes and some scrap, and LEARN each time. You'll be slower than the guys with 40 years experience, but if you take your time and think a few steps ahead then you can and will be surprised at what you can do.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,608 Senior Member
    edited July 10 #38
    At least your mentors tried to teach you. Job I have now, the two guys that are supposed to train me are basically worthless. One works 60 hours a week, but doesn't leave his chair for 6 hours..... when I complain, the Boss says, "Well, he's retiring soon." According to other coworkers, he's been 'retiring' for the past 5 years..  When I ask him a question he says, "Just go ans look. Figure it out. That's how I learned." I believe it, because when he does come out to do something, he doesn't know shcitt.

The other guy is a decent worker and knows a bit, but he comes from some inbred Hickville mountain in NC and doesn't speak a type of English that can be understood....... it's a cross between....................

and

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
2»