› ›

K Frame

earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,261 Senior Member

My first DA revolver. Bought NIB (late 80's)
Toooooo hot at the range today.🌞

Shot some thirty eights loaded with Hornady swaged lead bullets over a pinch of 700X, and some 357's loaded with Winchester bullets and Unique that I assembled some ten years ago. 

I did better with my Ruger SBH last time out with light specials. I think because its a heavier gun. The model 19 is less forgiving of my mediocre marksmanship.

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,262 Senior Member
    Very few guns in this planet are as outright pretty as a Model 19 😍
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,951 Senior Member
    It may be less forgiving, but your marksmanship does not look mediocre. Nice shootin!
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,261 Senior Member
    Thanks guys. Im gonna get better stocks in the future. It deserves them.
    Yes it does.  The Hogue fancy wood ones are gorgeous and fit my hand really well.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,468 Senior Member
    Looks like good shooting to me.
    A nice 19 is one I don't have...yet.
    I do like your 686 also.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,515 Senior Member
    Good shooting.  I have factory grips on mine...not the most efficient, but I seldom shoot them and then only target loads in .38 Special.  I like the way they look.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    It came with the big target stocks. They didn't fit my hands. I bought a set of Eagle rosewoods for it along time ago. They dont fit my hands either. Bad as the goodyears look, they fit like a custom made boot.
    It came with the big target stocks. They didn't fit my hands. I bought a set of Eagle rosewoods for it along time ago. They dont fit my hands either. Bad as the goodyears look, they fit like a custom made boot.
    Yeah those old Pachmayr (Presentation?) grips fit my hand very well too.  
    BTW if you decide to dump the Eagles let me know and I’ll buy them off you.  I had a set I loved and they fit my hand well but foolishly I sent them down the road on a gun I sold one of my friends and I miss them. 
    BTW if you decide to dump the Eagles let me know and I’ll buy them off you.  I had a set I loved and they fit my hand well but foolishly I sent them down the road on a gun I sold one of my friends and I miss them. 
    Heck Ive had those old Eagles forever. If I get a set a new grips I'll let ya know and just send em your way.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,032 Senior Member
    Early I guess you want to dress it up; but, if it were mine and I wanted to shoot it;
    I would leave the grips  that are on it. 
    I have a need for speed
    NN said:
    Early I guess you want to dress it up; but, if it were mine and I wanted to shoot it;
    I would leave the grips  that are on it. 
    Maybe not a bad idea. I noticed Big Chief likes them on some of his. He's gotta pretty good handle on handguning.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,032 Senior Member
    I have a couple on revolvers-------a Blackhawk .357/9mm convertible that came that way.

And that Redhawk .45acp/45 colt that came with that skinny wood grip------it looks nice with the
    wood; but, did not fit my hand------put one of those grips on it and it was like the difference
    between night and day.
    I have a need for speed
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,332 Senior Member
    Good looking gun. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Can't go by BC his hands aren't the same size. Try magna's  and a T grip.
    I have a couple with magnas. Just haven't took the time to get the t-grips yet. 
    The T makes a big difference.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,414 Senior Member
    Nice Horace n Daniel and good shootin too!

I'll use any grip that feels good to me and lets me control the revolver better, only one I want to leave a lasting impression on is a BG (God forbid) if I ever have shoot one who won't get to comment on my grip selection. 

Plus, I want to squeeze all I can from a gun on the range and having a grip that fits me mo better allows me to see what I can do without the gun slipping around in hand or not so fun to shoot with stock grips.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,414 Senior Member
    I left  wooden factory grips on my 686 and a few others, they are just fine. Others needed a change, just depends.

Sometimes both worlds come together and grips that look nice feel good too.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,515 Senior Member
    Tyler T grips are kinda hard to find.  I know they're supposed to be making them again, but I haven't been able to find them.  I've got them on both my short K-frames.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,727 Senior Member
    Nice looking pistol
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    They can be ordered direct. Im distracted with other things to the point I put off almost all gun related stuff except shooting and maintenance lately.
    Gene L said:
    Tyler T grips are kinda hard to find.  I know they're supposed to be making them again, but I haven't been able to find them.  I've got them on both my short K-frames.
    The new company is selling on eBay.

Heck Ive had those old Eagles forever. If I get a set a new grips I'll let ya know and just send em your way.
    👍👍
  • 88Glock88Glock Posts: 4 New Member
    Beautiful gun, love those old Pachmayrs!
    88Glock said:
    Beautiful gun, love those old Pachmayrs!
    Ha, the votes are multiplying 👍👍👍
  • AxeAxe Member Posts: 365 Member
    Almost pass as a twin for my highway patrolman. Older Smith&Wesson revolvers are a gem. Good shooting!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,022 Senior Member
    I love 19s. Never owned one but shot a few. It reminds me of a miniture Model 29, which in my opinion is one of the most Iconic Revolvers ever made.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.