Need help

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 9,806 Senior Member
In light of all the posts on guns available and guns wanted, I have to say...I'm kicking the habit.  I can't think of a single gun I want.  I hope this passes, but I seem to be losing interests in fine guns.  I've just about bought my limit.  I hope I don't turn instead to alcohol consumption and honky-tonking.
Not too many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 28,117 Senior Member
    Nothing wrong with alcohol consumption and honky-tonking at all.  Anyway, I have felt like that a few times and it has passed.  In a few weeks your brain will come up with something you "need" or you will see a good deal somewhere you can't pass up, and it's off the wagon again.  Trust me...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,474 Senior Member
    One of the guys at the range today was a gunsmith. He had a Winchester 100 that he's been tinkering with for sometime trying to get it to stay running. A sometimes failing of that model. It did show the fine fit and finish of its genre. One would make a good project for idol hands😁
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,806 Senior Member
    Not my hands...I've got a rusty thumb when it comes to firearms restoration..  And I don't like the 100...I had one in .308 about 45 years ago.  I've got a Winchester .22 auto (the one that loads through the stock) that needs restoring; shoots great, and my brother had a new one back in the 1950s, which I might take to the gunsmith for refinishing, but then...why?  It's not collectible. 
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    That pretty custom made caplock might need a flintlock sibling👀
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 39,174 Senior Member
    I’m with you. There’s been nothing recently that’s tripped my trigger. Especially handgun wise. At least not enough to drop the cash. 
    Zero factory rifles interest me. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,400 Senior Member
    I recently browsed through the two biggest gun stores in the state of Michigan......found absolutely nothing that increased my pulse rate...,
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,098 Senior Member
    I am more in to shooting than collecting more guns these days. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,806 Senior Member
    That pretty custom made caplock might need a flintlock sibling👀
    I spent my cash on an even prettier FL other than the one I posted. I've got three caps: a .32, a .36 Underhammer, and a GPR in .50 caliber.  I bought the .32 and the .50 about 20 years ago, and they shoot good.  I spent a lot of money on my last FL .50, a TVM, and got all the extras on it....  wooden patch box, swamped barrel, etc.  Now I'm spent out/tired out.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,504 Senior Member
    I really like the idea of the GP 100 in 10mm; but, like you I cannot get around to buying another.
    This message has been deleted
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 17,955 Senior Member
    I still have a few on my want list, mostly WW II service pistols as those are my main interest. I'd love an original "Liberator" FP-45, but may "make do" with one of the replicas that are far better/safer/cheaper anyway.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba said:
    I still have a few on my want list, likesmostly WW II service pistols as those are my main interest. I'd love an original "Liberator" FP-45, but may "make do" with one of the replicas that are far better/safer/cheaper anyway.
     You can parachute it to yourself with a drone.

What could go wrong?😯
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 24,173 Senior Member
    I have one of those CHEAP Cobray single shot pistols in .45 Colt/.410. Should have brought it to the Shoot this year. It would have probably weaned you on wanting a Liberator .45ACP. Ergonomics and recoil are horrible.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,449 Senior Member
    I have a few, very few, wants.  Needs are long gone.  A Garand, and an M1A , more 1911s.  Kimbers, a TRP.   Finish a couple builds.  I still need a 454 Bisley
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,742 Senior Member
    Outside of my Unicorn gun, I find it more interesting to stumble into things anymore. I'm absolutely done with factory guns though, and have been for a while. Something about finding that gem on the used rack, or making something new out of an old war horse. 

Have you tried dabbling in old, rare, hard to find or just obscure calibers that make you kick yourself later for getting in to?
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,600 Senior Member
    A timely thread Gene.
    Bh and I were on patrol in the hunting blocks yesterday and when we stopped to brew a fresh coffee the talk turned to guns ( as it inevitably does Lol).

We each discussed what our next purchase would be for about 45 mins ...............and neither of us could come up with anything that quickened the blood. We both agreed that we dont get enough time to shoot the ones we have, let alone something new.
    I am actually thinking of 'thinning the herd' ( a la Wambli) and putting the bulk of the money to better use like alcohol wimmen and gambling ...............and wasting the rest on necessities like food and clothing.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,623 Senior Member
    edited July 9 #17
    One turn off is the crazy prices they are asking these days.

Gun Broker has an early NIB S&W 617 revolver .22 lr they started the bid at over $1500..............that's a grand more than I would pay fer one.

Its just a dang .22 fer crying out loud.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    orchidman said:
    A timely thread Gene.
    Bh and I were on patrol in the hunting blocks yesterday and when we stopped to brew a fresh coffee the talk turned to guns ( as it inevitably does Lol).

We each discussed what our next purchase would be for about 45 mins ...............and neither of us could come up with anything that quickened the blood. We both agreed that we dont get enough time to shoot the ones we have, let alone something new.
    I am actually thinking of 'thinning the herd' ( a la Wambli) and putting the bulk of the money to better use like alcohol wimmen and gambling ...............and wasting the rest on necessities like food and clothing.
    Sooooo, what are the export fees for Winchesters in NZ?  Just curious...  😁
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,132 Senior Member
    If I sent a gun to one of you guys tore down in separate boxes would that be legal to do ?
    Would it be considered gun parts ?

Old Ron said:
    If I sent a gun to one of you guys tore down in separate boxes would that be legal to do ?

NO.  
    The action or receiver (serial numbered part) is a “firearm”. 
    Zee
    That's what Im looking forward to in older age and retirement. Im going to consolidate and shoot what I have.

Ive not had enough time shooting what I have, for what seems like most of my life.
    cpj said:
    Old Ron said:

NO.  
    So if a gunsmith doesn't have a FFL I couldn't send it to him ?
    Or only FFL can send to FFL ?
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,222 Senior Member
    If you aren't seeing guns that you 'need,' you haven't been shooting enough. Start shooting more, and you will be right back where you always were. Getting your butt kicked at the shooting range, by someone who is less experienced, is a great motivator.
    Old Ron said:
    cpj said:
    Old Ron said:

NO.  
    So if a gunsmith doesn't have a FFL I couldn't send it to him ?
    Or only FFL can send to FFL ?
    If a gunsmith doesn’t have an ffl, and doing work for
    money for other people, he’s in violation of federal law. 

But you can send to an FFL, no problems. 
    Zee
    Thanks cpj I was thinking of sending one out to have some work done & didn't know if it would bite me doing so .
    Old Ron said:
    Thanks cpj I was thinking of sending one out to have some work done & didn't know if it would bite me doing so .
    If he is a gun smith he has an FFL and can receive the gun, work on it and return it to you legally.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    A non-FFL smith can work on your gun- - - -IF- - - - -you bring it to him in person and take it home every night.  If it stays in his possession overnight, he must do the "bound book" documentation like any other FFL holder.   At least that's the info I received from ATF the last time I checked into it.  I'm not sure what the rule interpretation might be if you sell him the gun for a modest fee, and then buy it back from him after he's finished working on it, but even that sounds like a first step down a slippery slope!   
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,330 Senior Member
    I’m on the same plateau, especially after the Python and two back-to-back unexpected grails that fell into my lap.

Even if my gunfund *was* in the black, I don’t see anything now I would get. 
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 665 Senior Member
    Teach said:
    A non-FFL smith can work on your gun- - - -IF- - - - -you bring it to him in person and take it home every night.  If it stays in his possession overnight, he must do the "bound book" documentation like any other FFL holder.   At least that's the info I received from ATF the last time I checked into it.  I'm not sure what the rule interpretation might be if you sell him the gun for a modest fee, and then buy it back from him after he's finished working on it, but even that sounds like a first step down a slippery slope!   
    Then he becomes guilty of manufacturing without a type 07. I had considered buying broken guns to repair and resell until my ATF agent told me that’s a no no for the above reason.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,284 Senior Member
    I own several firearms, I'd have go actually count them then go count the ones in the safe that I'm letting my nephew borrow. Truth is, probably only 5 of them will ever see sunlight again. Unless they discover Cape buff in Colorado, I'm pretty well covered, and haven't felt the urge for a new gun in a long, long time. Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    Teach said:
    Then he becomes guilty of manufacturing without a type 07. I had considered buying broken guns to repair and resell until my ATF agent told me that’s a no no for the above reason.
    The second you buy to resell for a profit you have an issue. But you can buy, fix up, enjoy and after you get sick of it sell it to improve your collection and you are good to go.