Another Bobcat!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 19,332 Senior Member
I’m not much of a varmint hunter. But, I understand the need to protect investments. 

My my friend has been having problems with yotes and bobcats preying on his deer and quail. So, we set out to deal with the problem. We got one yote but have been unable to get the second yote, bobcat, and fox I’ve been getting on my game cams. 

We shot at the big dog yote twice a couple weeks ago but didn’t connect. Had him on camera again yesterday so I went out again tonight. 

Didn’t see the yote. But, I got the cat I’ve had on camera. 

Used a built AR-15 in .223 Remington w/ 64gr GD Factory ammo and a FoxPro Electronic Jackrabbit Caller. 

He snuck in from my left and and I could see him in the brush with the thermal.  Not with NV. He snuck around through the brush without presenting a shot. Stopped down wind of the caller and sat for a bit. Still couldn’t find him in the scope even though I knew where her was. 

Not liking the situation, he started moving back the way he came. Finally, at the edge of the brush, I lit him up with an IR flashlight. His eyes glowed!!  Knowing he was quartering towards me and to the left, I aimed an inch below his eye and let fly!  Down he went. Stone cold dead @ 112yrds. 

A round through his head. 

He weighted 20lbs. 

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,609 Senior Member
    What are the rules for Bobcat in Texas? They considered a varmint (no closed season) or furbearer?
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,653 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:
    What are the rules for Bobcat in Texas? They considered a varmint (no closed season) or furbearer?
    Here they are a furbearer, unless they are eating your livestock, pets, chickens, etc. Then they become worm food. (Legally) 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,261 Senior Member
    If you get one in the winter the hide will be nicer.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,873 Senior Member
    You sure have some pretty bobcats down your way...nice shooting!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,332 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:
    Varmint
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,044 Senior Member
    Nice looking kitty!
    Jayhawker said:
    You sure have some pretty bobcats down your way...nice shooting!
    This one is rather lean due to the hot summer months. But, the quail population is down and the fawns are dropping. 

I’ve been catching him on camera for several months. 
    Not really interested in hides. Just saving the quail and fawns. 
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,032 Senior Member
    nice looking cat
    I have a need for speed
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,691 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Not really interested in hides. Just saving the quail and fawns. 
    That hide should make a nice pair of underwear.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Would make for a soft loin cloth. 
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,255 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Would make for a soft merkin. 

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Zee said:

Sheesh, thanks a lot, learned something today.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Zee said:

Wikipedia for the win. 
    Zee
    cpj said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Zee said:

Wikipedia for the win. 
    Pop ups when browsing the internet should be interesting for awhile....... 
    Do I dare?
    Zee said:
    Do I dare?
    Expand your horizon. 

Zee
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,295 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Do I dare?
    I double dog dare you :wink:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Wow. That’s about as dumb as a toupee!
    Zee said:
    Wow. That’s about as dumb as a toupee!
    I kinda like the pink with a head lamp as shown on Wikipedia. 
    But then at this point, well, I’m not picky. 
    Zee
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,120 Senior Member
    Honest question...I've seen only two bobcats in my life. One laid down in a food plot by my deer stand, and was obviously a young one. I watched it for quite a while. The other flashed across on old logging road around dusk while I was walking back to camp after a squirrel hunt. It was a lot bigger than the other mentioned cat. Your cats look a whole lot bigger than either. How damn big can they get? Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,120 Senior Member
    I really need to know, because I almost shot a pile of laundry last year. Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    I think next time the folks at a restaraunt ask for a name....I’m gonna be Richard Merkin. 
    Zee
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,295 Senior Member
    I really need to know, because I almost shot a pile of laundry last year. Mike
    Mike, size (and color) varies by region.

The one I saw while hunting with TimC back in '10 was almost grey, along with a couple of mounted ones I saw in the area.
    The ones around here are Tawny brown

Big cat Rescue dot org says they stand 21" tall, 30-50" long and weigh between 13-30 pounds
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

They can get pretty decent in size around here. A lot taller than what I’ve seen in the east and not as heavy as I’ve seen up north. But, definitely y’all and lanky. 

Though, the one before this was a monster. 
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,817 Senior Member
    That’s a beautiful cat.  Can’t fathom pretty the winter coat would be.  When I hunted Georgia with woodsrunner a couple of years ago, I found out that bobcats are varmints there, too.  Year round shooting permissible.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun said:
    That’s a beautiful cat.  Can’t fathom pretty the winter coat would be.  When I hunted Georgia with woodsrunner a couple of years ago, I found out that bobcats are varmints there, too.  Year round shooting permissible.
    I hear the ones in Georgia are so dumb that they just sit there and let you shoot them. 😉
    Zee
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,817 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Six-Gun said:
    I hear the ones in Georgia are so dumb that they just sit there and let you shoot them. 😉
    Indeed.  They are even dumber in a foothold trap!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,873 Senior Member
    Honest question...I've seen only two bobcats in my life. One laid down in a food plot by my deer stand, and was obviously a young one. I watched it for quite a while. The other flashed across on old logging road around dusk while I was walking back to camp after a squirrel hunt. It was a lot bigger than the other mentioned cat. Your cats look a whole lot bigger than either. How damn big can they get? Mike
    Last I checked there was a 54 pound bobcat taken in Maine....45 and 50 pound bobcats have been taken in Northern Michigan....the biggest I have seen personally was a 34 pound cat my cousin shot in Kansas...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Zee said:
    Do I dare?
    It's your fault I googled Donkey Punch awhile back.