10mm AR15, Yay or Nay, Pros or Cons.

terminator012terminator012 Senior MemberPosts: 3,582 Senior Member
Been doing some googling on the 10mm AR15. Not really finding much. Don't want to build no 2000 dollar AR just a decent budget one. Going to link an old thread. I too would like one that uses Glock mags. Was wondering what BigDans ever found.

http://forums.gunsandammo.com/discussion/17467/want-an-ar15-in-10mm-that-takes-g20-magazines

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,272 Senior Member
    I'd probably go with a MechTech Conversion, over an AR in 10mm

Either based off a 1911 frame, or, if you insist on it taking glock mags, a G20 frame

http://mechtechsys.com/

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,800 Senior Member
    Uberti 1873 Winchester clone in 38-40 WCF:  You get your 10mm carbine and don't have to worry about being the poor schmuck that gets to prove the design.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,735 Senior Member
    I gave up.   I have a Kel Tec Sub 2000 in .40 S&W that takes Glock mags and I am satisfied.  I get 10mm long slide   handgun performance from it.  Another problem is bullet selection and accuracy.  Not much out there that performs well at high end 10mm speeds.  It has been suggested to swage .41 mag bullets down to .40 diameter, but that seems like a lot of work.   If I want high end performance from a .40 caliber, I have been looking into .41 magnum carbines.  
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,542 Senior Member
    Nay
    This message has been deleted
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,582 Senior Member
    I think that is enough nays to ditch the idea for awhile.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 24,285 Senior Member
    I agree with Knitepoet. Get the Mech Tech carbine for the 1911 platform. You will like it, and it WORKS!
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,388 Senior Member
    edited July 11 #8
    Bigslug said:
    Uberti 1873 Winchester clone in 38-40 WCF:  You get your 10mm carbine and don't have to worry about being the poor schmuck that gets to prove the design.

I like that idea. I love those old guns. However, me I like bigger stuff, 38-55.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,388 Senior Member
    edited July 11 #9
    Been doing some googling on the 10mm AR15. Not really finding much. Don't want to build no 2000 dollar AR just a decent budget one. Going to link an old thread. I too would like one that uses Glock mags. Was wondering what BigDans ever found.

http://forums.gunsandammo.com/discussion/17467/want-an-ar15-in-10mm-that-takes-g20-magazines
    Hey Tracy, if you want something big bore AR, check out the Wulf. I fell in love with that when K:P showed me some loaded rounds. I want one! in fact it's the only thing I want in an AR other than .223.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,247 Senior Member
    I've always been susceptible to the tug of a 10mm Carbine, and I agree with tennmike, since he actually has Mec-Tec experience. My clicking finger twitches every time I visit the website. I believe the price has come down on them enough to make them worth trying, plus I already have a G-20.

I also like bigslug's idea of the .38-40 lever gun. The .38-40 is practically the rimmed version of a .40 S&W, with a little bit of extra case capacity, for hand loaders to boost it up to 10mm velocities.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,071 Senior Member
    edited July 13 #11
    i got an AR in 9mm and 45acp.

have the uppers for 10mm and 22LR.  But havent done much to make them go, yet.  

The 10mm will use OA mags.  They are more or less plastic shells with various inserts to shoot various rounds.  i have a Quarter Circle 10 lower that uses glock mags, but they havent been too busy making any uppers in 10mm and i have been waiting for 1+ years for something to become available so i just opted to go OA instead and get an plain jane AR lower.

you may want to check with OA.  I ordered a bunch of stuff when they announced they where going out of business.  But when i talked to them and made my order, it was said someone was looking to buy them at that time.  And this was ~2?+ years ago.

good luck.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    snake284 said:

Hey Tracy, if you want something big bore AR, check out the Wulf. I fell in love with that when K:P showed me some loaded rounds. I want one! in fact it's the only thing I want in an AR other than .223.

Not familiar with Wulf.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,272 Senior Member
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet said:
    Well I know what that is but I'm not building an AR in one. :)