Orlando widow loses $270,000 to Match.com catfish mystery man

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,623 Senior Member

Orlando widow loses $270,000 to Match.com catfish mystery man who used a former Bosnian ambassador's photo to lure her in

• Diane Standish, 65, thought she fell in love with German CEO Darnell Michael
  • But 'Michael' had used the photos of Flamur Gashi, who is married with 3 kids
  • Standish gave him money after he promised to come to Orlando and marry her
  • Investigators tracked Michael's email to South Africa and phone to Bakersfield

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,623 Senior Member
    Geesh.......how vulnerable can they get. Lonely widow. How can anyone fall 'in love' online anyway.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,781 Senior Member
    There's a dumbass born every minute.
    I HAVE HATED COMMUNISTS EVEN BEFORE THEY CHANGED
    THEIR NAME TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 17,955 Senior Member
    California/Florida both in this one!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Reminds me of that Cable/Spectrum TV commercial where the Mummy is at a BBQ and they are discussing the $99 dollar service calls from Dish Networks.

He says he is a vulnerable kinda guy......'They said step into the box and we will let you out in a few minutes..........5000 years later'
    Dang, is there Mail (Male) order Grooms from Russia/wherever..........she could have bought one a ticket, flew him to Orlando and checked him out for a few grand....................

Sad thing is her late husband probably worked his ass off to make sure she would be taken care of........and she falls for this.

Maybe trust funds or some kinda oversight/trust fund with incremental pay outs would be a good idy when a large sum of money is involved for some women and men too.

But then again, who knows how they will act as widows/widowers.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,207 Senior Member
    edited July 10 #7
    Another sucker caught by a nigerian 419 scam.

:yawn:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet said:
    Another sucker caught by a nigerian 419 scam.

:yawn:
    Naw, it was 'True Internet Love'...........I didn't know Nigerians had a German accent...............maybe they pick it up in Bakersfield.........
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,091 Senior Member
    Is this stuff even news anymore?  Seems like I'm hearing about this every other day... who knew there were that many gullible people?  
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,610 Senior Member
    Can you imagine how she feels now? God help her. 
    Big Chief said:
    Naw, it was 'True Internet Love'...........I didn't know Nigerians had a German accent...............maybe they pick it up in Bakersfield.........
    BC, they're called nigerian 419 scams because they seem to have originated in nigeria many years ago and 419 references the nigerian legal code
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

horselips said:
    Can you imagine how she feels now? God help her. 
    Poor