Picked Up a New One (Glock 17 Gen 5)

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,346 Senior Member
edited July 11 in General Firearms #1
I mentioned on another thread that I was finally caving to my Glock Gen 5 itch, and the gun finally came in this week:

Glock 17 Gen 5. Everything is pretty standard on it. IMO the upgrades over Gen 4 are noticeable, especially the lack of finger grooves and lighter trigger. With that said, it's still a somewhat spongy Glock trigger. It's definitely noticeably better than my Gen 4 G19, but pails in comparison to any single action trigger. The finish is also noticeably "slicker" than the Gen 4, but durability will be seen in the long run. I also prefer the smooth G17 trigger over the ridged trigger on my G19, and will probably be ordering a smooth trigger to throw into my G19 at some point in the near future.

My only upgrade was a set of Trijicon HD-XR night sights, to compliment the standard HDs on my G19:

It's definitely still a Glock, but I've come to greatly appreciate Glocks for what they are as a capable and readily available HD/Match/EDC handgun. The huge aftermarket doesn't hurt either. I have no further modifications planned for this one at this time, as my money is probably better spent on practice ammo.
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,256 Senior Member
    Congratulations on the new gun.  I like the sights, they should serve you well.
    I would give you a "you suck", but it being a Glock and all..... B)
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 17,955 Senior Member
    I have yet to shoot a gen 5, but congratulations in any event.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,207 Senior Member
    You need to take it to Eli for him to work on with his soldering iron :rotflmao:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,346 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    You need to take it to Eli for him to work on with his soldering iron :rotflmao:
    Only if it comes with a big sexy hug afterwards.

I'm sorely tempted to send it off to Wilson Combat for their "starburst" stipple job, but the money is better spent on training. My G19, however, WILL get sent to Lead Baron Customs at some point in the next 6 months.
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,098 Senior Member
    Glock = Good
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,454 Senior Member
    Solid choice.  Congrats.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,623 Senior Member
    Congrats on a new pistol.

How does it shoot? Any improvement over Gen #4 you have?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 28,117 Senior Member
    Always a solid choice. 👍👍
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,272 Senior Member
    Heh, Wambli endorsing Glocks, whats next, Zorba asking Wambli for cell phone purchasing advice:)?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,226 Senior Member
    If it's still a Glock... why'd you buy it?

It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,222 Senior Member
    I like Glocks, but let's be realistic. Their attraction is their functionality, not their beauty or elegance. Anybody who likes good tools should freely admit that a Glock (all Glocks, actually) is a proven self-defense tool that has stood the test of time for reliability, accuracy, and simplicity. I think of them like I used to think of Craftsman tools - they accomplish the same thing as a Snap-On tool, but are cheaper and less beautiful. The only reason that I don't own several Glocks  is that other manufacturers have copied their best traits and designed their own versions that are cheaper and more comfortable in my hand.

If I'm buying a Glock, I don't really care what generation it is, because they all work just fine, and they all feel like holding a piece of a 2x4 in my hand, despite the fact that I can shoot the one I own as well as I can shoot anything else that I own.
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Heh, Wambli endorsing Glocks, whats next, Zorba asking Wambli for cell phone purchasing advice:)?
    You never even noticed when you crossed over into this parallel universe?  Zorba actually wears pants here... 
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Zorba actually wears pants here... 
    Let's not get carried away... ;)

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba said:
    Zorba actually wears pants here... 
    Let's not get carried away... ;)
    Shhhhhh, I had him for about a second!!! 😁
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,272 Senior Member
    I am so confused.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    I am so confused.
    That's OK, you'll feel better after the surgery and the hormone therapy kicks in. >:)

Surgeries and clothing choices aside, I hit the range yesterday and blew a quick 100rds through the gun. It functioned flawlessly, which I would expect from a brand new pistol using standard 115r FMJ ammo. I fired 3 quick full mags at 10 yards as fast as I could reacquire the front sights and managed to keep them all in about a 6" circle. Then I took a fresh target out to 25 yards for some slow fire. the 1st four shots were in the bull (roughly 4" tall oval)! However, after that I screwed up and pulled a shot about 6" to the left. another 30 or so rounds and the group was about 8", definitely a shooter induced limitation and not the gun.

Overall i find it easier to shoot than my G19. I think this is a result of the lack of finger grooves and slightly different angle of the "hump" on the back. I will probably leave this gun stock for  awhile and shoot the snot out of it.
    I like your plan.  The 17 is just about the last Gkock that holds an interest for me and I think I will go fondle one at some point...
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,259 Senior Member
    So do you think the new barrel is an improvement?  Congrats on the buy.  I kind of want the 19X myself but not anytime soon I'm afraid.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    BAMAAK said:
    So do you think the new barrel is an improvement?  Congrats on the buy.  I kind of want the 19X myself but not anytime soon I'm afraid.
    I don't shoot well enough to get near the supposed accuracy standards of the Gen 4 (4" at 25yds) nor the Gen 5 (4" at 50yds), so I can't say for certain. At some point I'd like to bench both of them and see if I can reap the benefits of the supposedly more accurate barrel.

The 19X is a big yawn for me honestly. What I want Glock to release is a Gen 5 G34 that doesn't feature the MOS system.