Got My Wolf Back From The Taxidermist......

CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior MemberPosts: 9,819 Senior Member
...5 years after I dropped it off, and had to call the cops, and had to have my mom pick it up.

So, MN had a wolf season for 2 years before some bunnyhuggers convinced a judge the MN DNR did not know what they were talking about and had the seasons shut down and they have not re-opened. I drew a tag the first year and as luck would have it there was a fresh clearcut from some logging and a doe popped out at a run and I was thinking a buck was dogging her but the wolf was instead, dropped him at around 100 yds with a Savage 116 in .300 Win Mag low in the chest through the lungs, 2 neat holes with a 180 gr Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. We were supposed to present the whole wolf for registration at a DNR office so tissue samples and a tooth could be taken for research. The offices were not open until Monday and I shot the wolf Saturday PM, so on the pole he went.
Well, it was quite warm and the wolf was bloating by Sunday and I finally got ahold of the taxidermist and he said dump the guts or the hide would be spoiled, so after the gas escaped and I sent 3 teenage boys gagging from the shed, I got the guts dumped. Get to the DNR office the next day and do my duty, got a little grief from the biologist for gutting it, but I argued wanton waste was a worse offense, he agreed. Dropped him off at the taxidermist after that and watched him skin the head, discussed options and price and went with a rug and a bleached skull. Few months later I got a nice letter from the DNR saying I shot a 62#, sans guts, male that was a healthy 3 1/2 year old.
 Lots of phone calls and stalling and BS later, I got tired thinking he either somehow wrecked the hide or sold it, I had put 1/2 of the $ down, so I called the DNR to see how to handle it, sent my documentation to them and they let me know it was out of their hands, green hides are under their jurisdiction, tanned hides are just personal property, so off to the local PD I went. They have had similar problems with this taxidermist, he assured them he was working on it. When they responded to me they talked to him, the officer told me he had not actually seen the rug or the skull. Few more phone calls and months go by, I told the officer either get some proof the hide and the skull exists or I want to sign a theft by swindle complaint. Seems to be getting some action, but, 3 more months go by, and I call the PD again and get another officer, he is way less patient than the other cop, so now we are getting somewhere and I finally get the rug dropped off at my mom's so she can inspect it since I am 4 hours away, and the deal gets done.

One for the chicks and Minnesotashooter, could not find my Bert Reynolds moustache

I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,490 Senior Member
    edited July 14 #2
    The flippin' DNR shouldn't make policy they can't administrate.

Worth the wait?
    He looks happy in that first pic🐾
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,819 Senior Member
    Seeing how we can't shoot any for the foreseeable future, yeah it is worth the wait, have to find enough wall space, he is over 4' from the tip of the front paw to the tip of the front paw
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Missed a picture.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,490 Senior Member
    There's a scene in a movie where a fictional Crazy Horse uses a wolf skin like yours combined with wolf howls to sneek up behind another fictional character named Whistling Jack Kyleene played by Clint Walker. The movie's called White Buffalo and stars Charles Bronson.

Just in case you might need it for more than a rug😁
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,183 Senior Member
    Damn, that was long wait. I would have been pissed too. It turned out nice though. The view to my right in my office...
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,459 Senior Member
    Wow!  I’d forgotten you got a wolf. That’s pretty cool. Sucks about the Jack-Hole screwing your around. 

Glad it finally came to fruition. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,171 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Seeing how we can't shoot any for the foreseeable future, yeah it is worth the wait, have to find enough wall space, he is over 4' from the tip of the front paw to the tip of the front paw
    I have a spare 4' of wall space that could serve as a holding area...just sayin. Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,880 Senior Member
    Beautiful pelt!  That is an excellent hunt you cashed in on.  That said, I got annoyed just reading your post about the guy who worked on it.  There's just no excuse for that.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,710 Senior Member
    While it was a PIA to chase after the guy the end result is outstanding!.....  you sexy beast 😁
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    There's a scene in a movie where a fictional Crazy Horse uses a wolf skin like yours combined with wolf howls to sneek up behind another fictional character named Whistling Jack Kyleene played by Clint Walker. The movie's called White Buffalo and stars Charles Bronson.

There's an idea, might have to visit some of the kids in the neighborhood one night when they are camping in the backyard. I have seen that movie, it has been awhile though.
    Damn, that was long wait. I would have been pissed too. It turned out nice though. The view to my right in my office...
    That's the way to do it, my buddies had enough of bear hunting by the time I got time to go with them, unfortunately. I was past pissed, I was thinking about getting my down payment back, and then some the taxidermist had sold it, and seeing about putting the money towards a hunt or some lefty long guns for the kids, worked out either way.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,994 Senior Member
    Was there any reason given of why the guy kept it? Wasn’t he waiting on the other half of the payment?
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    edited July 14 #14
    Zee said:
    Wow!  I’d forgotten you got a wolf. That’s pretty cool. Sucks about the Jack-Hole screwing your around. 

Glad it finally came to fruition. 
    I am just glad to be posting some post hunting pics, some folks on here are way ahead of me:)
    CHIRO1989 said:
    I have a spare 4' of wall space that could serve as a holding area...just sayin. Mike
    Your closer to Wyoming and Montana than I am, Jerry could pick you up on the way, let them work things out this year and we will see about next year.
    edited July 14 #16
    Six-Gun said:
    Beautiful pelt!  That is an excellent hunt you cashed in on.  That said, I got annoyed just reading your post about the guy who worked on it.  There's just no excuse for that.
    My mom used to date the guys dad, I have known him for awhile so I cut him a lot more slack than I ever do, time kind of got away from me and I realised it had been 4 1/2 years. Rumor is the taxidermist is hitting the bong pretty hard, there's your motivation killer, at least until the cops start coming by regularly.
    While it was a PIA to chase after the guy the end result is outstanding!.....  you sexy beast 😁
    Yeah, the wife loaded me up on 2 shrimp burritos with all the extras and a pint of Lupulin Breweries "Sexy Hops" and then said lets take those pictures of the wolf, couple of the trolls added their two cents and there you go.
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 683 Senior Member
    I did not request those pictures, just sayin’
    edited July 14 #19
    I did not request those pictures, just sayin’
    I know what you meant:)

I have some "Sexy Beast" here for you, we will see what kind of pictures you post after a couple, it is made with Australian and New Zealand hops, I am blaming it on them, LOL.
    cpj said:
    Was there any reason given of why the guy kept it? Wasn’t he waiting on the other half of the payment?
    Over extended with taxidermy and carpentry and landlording some property, that and the rumor is he is hitting the bong pretty hard.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,599 Senior Member

Oh YUK! I remember that movie. Mainly because about 10 million years ago, we had a subscription to CineMax and they played that stupid thing about 10 times a week going on for months! Heck, it might have even been decent enough, but I've repressed the whole experience and don't remember anything about it now.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,071 Senior Member
    I got rid of all my stuffed ducks about 35 years ago. They were decent mounts, done by an amateur, for free, because he needed some material to practice on and I was shooting beaucoups of mallards and wood ducks.

I just got tired of dusting them, and Mrs. Bisley wouldn't touch them. To me, nothing compares with the images I carry in my little brain of what they looked like in the wild. I would rather have a great photograph or painting depicting them, personally.

Besides, all taxidermists I have met think they are artists, which means they can take as long as they want, and only they can judge the quality of their own work.

I do like the rug, though.
    bisley said:
    I got rid of all my stuffed ducks about 35 years ago. They were decent mounts, done by an amateur, for free, because he needed some material to practice on and I was shooting beaucoups of mallards and wood ducks.

I just got tired of dusting them, and Mrs. Bisley wouldn't touch them. To me, nothing compares with the images I carry in my little brain of what they looked like in the wild. I would rather have a great photograph or painting depicting them, personally.

Besides, all taxidermists I have met think they are artists, which means they can take as long as they want, and only they can judge the quality of their own work.

I do like the rug, though.
    I don't have too many things from the taxidermist, my first pheasant, my first big deer, and now my wolf. My dad had a few nice, more uncommon ducks mounted, his coolest is a hooded merganser drake, you can get too much, andthere is better stuff to spend money on, like hunting.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,880 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Six-Gun said:
    My mom used to date the guys dad, I have known him for awhile so I cut him a lot more slack than I ever do, time kind of got away from me and I realised it had been 4 1/2 years. Rumor is the taxidermist is hitting the bong pretty hard, there's your motivation killer, at least until the cops start coming by regularly.
    Seems that the rumors of the wacky weed altering ones perception of time may have also played a part in his tardiness.  Glad the cops snapped him out of it.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,138 Senior Member
    That's beautiful, Scott.  Congratulations!
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,571 Senior Member
    Nice <3
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

That's beautiful, Scott.  Congratulations!
    Thank you, looking for a range report from you and Dan this fall on opportunity to hunt wolf where you two are headed
    knitepoet said:
    Nice <3
    Thanks hey.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,569 Senior Member
    Glad you finally have your wolf back Scott.
    What a neat trophy not easily obtained or kept by the sounds.
    I agree very neat hunt you crashed in on
    edited July 14 #30
    Weatherby said:
    Glad you finally have your wolf back Scott.
    What a neat trophy not easily obtained or kept by the sounds.
    I agree very neat hunt you crashed in on
    Well, I could have obtained about a dozen more the past 3 years if that judge had not interfered, I see more wolves than deer these days, I keep looking locally for a Savage Striker in .223 so the holes in the hide will remain small, might have been interesting if I would have hit the shoulder with the .300 WM, sounds like the DNR is making some progress towards hunting them again 
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,994 Senior Member
    Savage striker in any short action = bolt head and barrel change to be a .223. I’ve got the tools to lend, and can walk you through it. You’ll just have to pose on your rug in a banana hammock. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee