The Exhaustion of American Liberalism (by Shelby Steele)

2»

Replies

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,259 Senior Member
    Love lib buzzwords.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,978 Senior Member
    I base/formulate my opinions on things like this I have seen/felt/lived through, not an academic textbook ideal/presentation on how things should be in a perfect world.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,727 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    Ditto Diver43.............experienced much of that myself and some different.
    Experienced the same thing in the military, too, and after I got out.
    Nuke power was a case study in that 'unequal' work for equal pay thing. Females with no upper body strength were ALWAYS having to be helped do the job. And if they DIDN'T want to do a particular job, they'd flutter the eyelashes and sweet talk their way out of doing it. When I finally decided to retire, there were a couple of new females that were put on my crew about a year before. They couldn't do most any of the physically demanding work. If I was working the turbine building and they were in the Auxiliary building, I ended up spending half of the shift doing THEIR job, turning valves and clearance hanging to take equipment out for maintenance. And they ALWAYS seemed to skate out on the diesel generator runs; I'd get pulled off MY job to do that, no matter what job I had at the time. It required rolling the diesel generator set (two 16 cylinder Bruce GM diesels) over two revolutions, by hand, with an 8 foot long jacking bar. They had enough weight to do it(took 100 lbs at the end of the bar), they just didn't WANT TO! When I and 5 more GUYS turned in our two week notices the same week, it caused a panic. We were the go-to GUYS for some petty sensitive testing procedures and no one else was qualified! :D
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,549 Senior Member
    I expect that most white men who were trying to carve out a career for themselves in the 1970's, or maybe even the '80's and '90's, can relate experiences in which opportunities were lost to them as a result of Affirmative Action. I've heard plenty mention it, but very few (if any) who used it as an excuse to give up. Most just re-charted their career path, or just re-doubled their own efforts and piled up their 'credentials' for the time when somebody would recognize their good work, and reward them for it with better opportunities.

On the other hand, it is only natural that minority men (or females) who have endured discrimination will sneer at this, and consider this remedy to be just a small dose of their own medicine, for whites. In a very general sense, they aren't wrong, but in a more detailed sense, it becomes a case of one generation being punished for the sins of a previous generation. Most of the individuals who have complained about discrimination against whites are not the same individuals who discriminated against minorities. This is the problem with politicians using theoretical ideas against real problems, and then trying to create the statistics to prove them out, with quotas. Of course, in order to have any credibility, they must deny the existence of.quotas, which only leaves 'magic' as the method used to level the playing field, that supposedly didn't harm anyone.

For those white men who experienced it, there is no doubt in their minds that racial discrimination against whites was used to level the playing fields for minorities and women, and it was just as wrong to them as the original discrimination was to the minorities who missed opportunities. But, to the lawmakers, it was justice.

If Affirmative Action had actually solved the problem, it would be easier to swallow for the white working class. But it didn't work, if we are to believe the political groups who actually created it, because they now claim that minority oppression is still horrible. All it did was create more resentment, by punishing people who were not guilty, and by failing to fix the problem. It was just another 'great' idea that didn't work, and had unexpected consequences that should have been rooted out before it was implemented.
    edited July 2018 #36
    Another disaster was forced busing. Sure it may have given some a chance to attend a better school..............at the expense of children who we oft sent to ghetto like schools and a big up yours to parents busted their butts to live in a nicer neighborhood or any place their children could go to a nearby school.

Plus the influx of children from other areas often didn't work out so well for them or the ones already there either.  

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    In a perfect world all schools would have offered and have the same quality of education/teachers/budget.............but that ain't how it works. 
2»