Teaching Firearm Safety to Public School 6th Graders is a Horrible Idea

sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior MemberPosts: 1,608 Senior Member

The gun grabbers say their anti gun laws are for the safety of the children. BS! The required instructors would likely be trained and certified by the #1 "terrorist organization" in the USA. The National Rifle Association! The HORROR!!!

https://www.koin.com/news/oregon/initiative-would-require-6th-graders-study-firearms-safety/1300667992

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,599 Senior Member
    Let the hand wringing commence!

Nice picture of a NAA .22LR revolver!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,601 Senior Member
    If just one life can be saved.

Hoplophobia crises averted?

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,802 Senior Member
    To me it is the parents job. Teaching to groups of none gun kids may make them think they can handle anything after a few lessons. Without long term exposure to guns bad things can come of short introductions. Gun hating people will go nuts having there kids instructed about guns.It should be the parents allowing or not allowing this in school. I learned at 1/2 that age but it was at home with actual shooting & a lot of supervision. Introducing guns to a possibly sick mind can not turn out well.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    They had something on the news about a high tech fire extinguisher sized pepper spray device for schools that can spray 25 ft and sets off an alarm to 911 and its location .............fer only $25,000 a copy!

Anything but a gun, I reckon.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,694 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    To me it is the parents job. Teaching to groups of none gun kids may make them think they can handle janything after a few lessons. Without long term exposure to guns bad things can come of short introductions. Gun hating people will go nuts having there kids instructed about guns.It should be the parents allowing or not allowing this in school. I learned at 1/2 that age but it was at home with actual shooting & a lot of supervision. Introducing guns to a possibly sick mind can not turn out well.
    I've gotta agree with this. There are many life issues that need to be dealt with at home and firearms safety is one of them.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,729 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    To me it is the parents job. Teaching to groups of none gun kids may make them think they can handle janything after a few lessons. Without long term exposure to guns bad things can come of short introductions. Gun hating people will go nuts having there kids instructed about guns.It should be the parents allowing or not allowing this in school. I learned at 1/2 that age but it was at home with actual shooting & a lot of supervision. Introducing guns to a possibly sick mind can not turn out well.
    I've gotta agree with this. There are many life issues that need to be dealt with at home and firearms safety is one of them.
    We keep outsourcing important parenting jobs to the Government, and wonder why kids are ending up all screwy.  

Do it at home.  
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,664 Senior Member
    Yup, handle it at home, or sign your kid up for a class. 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,853 Senior Member
    edited July 2018 #9
    Old Ron said:
    To me it is the parents job. Teaching to groups of none gun kids may make them think they can handle anything after a few lessons. Without long term exposure to guns bad things can come of short introductions. Gun hating people will go nuts having there kids instructed about guns.It should be the parents allowing or not allowing this in school. I learned at 1/2 that age but it was at home with actual shooting & a lot of supervision. Introducing guns to a possibly sick mind can not turn out well.
    To me it's both. It's like fertilzing your garden. You put Chicken Poop, Horse Poop, Cow  Poop, Sheep Poop on it for the long haul, but for a quick shot in the arm get you some good ol' Ammonium Nitrate. So the home is for the long haul. The classes only last a short while but it's exposure to professional grade instruction. If you're serious about teaching your kids how to not only enjoy firearms, but to be safe with them, they need both forms of training.

Also Ron, it should be treated like an elective. Even send a form home for parents to give the school permission to teach their kids about firearms. As for the sick mind their minds are in the formative stage at this point. Teach em a little history about firearms and maybe they won't just think of them as instruments of death.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    It ain't gonna happen.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Curiosity killed the cat. Kills a lot of kids, too, and not just with firearms. I think that firearms training should begin at home, but there's a LOT of homes that don't/won't have a firearm in the home. Gotta be a happy medium somewhere in the mess. Kids that don't know firearms safety and pick up a firearm are like a grenade with the pin pulled; all they have to do is 'release the spoon' and bad things happen.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    Firearm safety training needs to start in 1st grade.  Let that sink in.  Kids need to know one firearm safety rule.  If you see a gun, do not touch it and find an adult.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,248 Senior Member
    I agree, firearms training is first and foremost the responsibility of the parents......but reality is that way too many parents do not fulfill their responsibilities in this and many other areas.  I think we should have firearms safety training in schools (just like we used to, before it became politically incorrect to admit to children that guns actually do exist).  Think about how many schools used to have rifle teams.  My children have been trained in firearm safety both by a certified NRA instructor (training I paid for) and by myself.  They get ample opportunity to use firearms at the range and two of them own their own rifles.  They are not curious about guns because they are trained and familiar with them.  This means they have zero inclination to play with them, which is how most children are injured and killed by guns.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,599 Senior Member
    FWIW, we've just started teaching our granddaughter (5 yo) age appropriate safety (Don't touch, get an adult NOW). We keep repeating every couple of weeks...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,853 Senior Member
    bisley said:
    It ain't gonna happen.
    Splain yoself!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,608 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    Old Ron said:
    To me it's both. It's like fertilzing your garden. You put Chicken Poop, Horse Poop, Cow  Poop, Sheep Poop on it for the long haul, but for a quick shot in the arm get you some good ol' Ammonium Nitrate. So the home is for the long haul. The classes only last a short while but it's exposure to professional grade instruction. If you're serious about teaching your kids how to not only enjoy firearms, but to be safe with them, they need both forms of training.

Also Ron, it should be treated like an elective. Even send a form home for parents to give the school permission to teach their kids about firearms. As for the sick mind their minds are in the formative stage at this point. Teach em a little history about firearms and maybe they won't just think of them as instruments of death.

snake284 said:
    Old Ron said:

Most of us "old guys" and many gals where taught firearms safety by our parents. When I successfully completed the NRA hunter safety course in 1965 at the age of 13 it was a refresher course of what my father had taught me. This is 2018. Of course many children are still taught firearms safety by their parents in rural America. Many others are not. This very basic firearms safety training that is aimed at urban kids who have no clue what to do if they find a gun. I'm sure they will be instructed not to touch it. Call 911 if they have a cell phone (it could be valuable evidence in a criminal investigation) or report it to a trusted adult. Anti gun parents would be given the option of their children not participating. The anti gun people like the Lutheran minister and Jewish Rabbi will only consider the children's safety accomplished when the last firearm on earth is torched into pieces and joins the others at the bottom of the Marianas trench. I'm confused by the Rabbi who seems ignorant of the German Jews surrendering their firearms with the rest of the German civilian citizens to the NAZIS who then killed 6 million Jews.       

snake284 said:
    bisley said:
    It ain't gonna happen.
    Splain yoself!
    Oregon, with all of its fine qualities, is majority liberal, I think. I don't believe the state legislature will allow any test program that has any chance of moderating opinions, regarding firearms. It would be the equivalent of having a fact-based, honest debate about gun control, and the liberals have succeeded in preventing that in every part of the country. I don't think such a bill would pass in Texas, much less Oregon.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,386 Senior Member
    With a Brown as governor, not a chance and she was voted in by people that would have a coronary if anyone said the word gun in school.
    bisley said:

snake284 said:
    bisley said:
    It ain't gonna happen.
    Splain yoself!
    Oregon, with all of its fine qualities, is majority liberal, I think. I don't believe the state legislature will allow any test program that has any chance of moderating opinions, regarding firearms. It would be the equivalent of having a fact-based, honest debate about gun control, and the liberals have succeeded in preventing that in every part of the country. I don't think such a bill would pass in Texas, much less Oregon.

You are correct. Unfortunately "majority liberal" is a gross understatement. The only thing positive from this initiative is that the whack job Minister and Rabbi apparently gave their handlers the slip and escaped the liberal loony bin. By incoherently opposing gun safety training for school children they exposed their "for the children's safety" anti gun campaign as (of course) having nothing to do with children's safety. Of course that will be deflected by the liberal media.   

I don't know much about how other states handle things, but I'm pretty sure that in Texas, if a local school board wanted to do it, and the local people were in favor of it, they would just do it. Of course, when the feds got wind of it, I'm quite sure they would swoop in and threaten to cut off federal subsidies.
    rberglof said:
    With a Brown as governor, not a chance and she was voted in by people that would have a coronary if anyone said the word gun in school.
    Surprisingly a conservative Secretary of State was elected in 2016! Now if Lil' sister moonbeam accidentally tripped and fell down the capitol steps... It would also be perfectly ironic. Our pre-Kate brown governor resigned for ethical reasons but is how SoS Kate was not elected to the office of governor.