Election meddling; the U.S. hands are hardly clean

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 25,715 Senior Member
The U.S. has been meddling in foreign elections for a LONG time. This article outlines a few, but there are many more, and some a lot closer to home (Cuba). Read the whole article to see how we've been diddling in that election meddling thing. Getting all self righteous over Russia doing it to us is so hypocritical that it's actually funny watching the Liberal heads exploding in outrage.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-us-intervention-foreign-elections-20161213-story.html#

Update: President Obama on Thursday slapped Russia with new penalties for meddling in the U.S. presidential election, kicking out dozens of suspected spies and imposing banking restrictions on five people and four organizations the administration says were involved.

The CIA has accused Russia of interfering in the 2016 presidential election by hacking into Democratic and Republican computer networks and selectively releasing  emails. But critics might point out the U.S. has done similar things.

The U.S. has a long history of attempting to influence presidential elections in other countries – it's done so as many as 81 times between 1946 and 2000, according to a database amassed by political scientist Dov Levin of Carnegie Mellon University.

That number doesn't include military coups and regime change efforts following the election of candidates the U.S. didn't like, notably those in Iran, Guatemala and Chile. Nor does it include general assistance with the electoral process, such as election monitoring.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,228 Senior Member
    Is this why we're not renegotiating from a position of strength anymore?
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 845 Senior Member
    How many regimes have we had a hand in overthrowing?  How many puppets have we installed and later removed?  We have no room to complain about meddling.  Some people just can grasp the fact that we have repeatedly done what they are so upset about happening here.  From what I have seen reported on the extent of the meddling, its been far less that what we have done to others in the past.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    I believe all sovereign nations do it to some extent. So what! Both Democrat and Republican administrations have done this. It's not the American way, it's the human way.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,563 Senior Member
    They do it. We do it. And we both deny it. Nothing to see here. Please move along. In addition to flight training in1978 we had to endure military intelligence training classes at United States Army Intelligence Center And School USAICAS (Ft Huachuca, AZ). One thing I found interesting was that there were at least twice as many spies operating in the USA from an ally as from the USSR. Any guesses? Israel! I can't really blame them as they are surrounded on 3 sides by hostiles with their back to the sea. They need any tech advantage they can invent or steal.   
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,976 Senior Member
    Yep, we/they all do it. Obammy tried to thwart an election in Israel, knew about Russian meddling before the 2016 election, but didn't say/do squat because he thought Pantsuit had it in the bag.

Funny many Dems were AWOL during the Cold War.  During the Obammy and Romney debate Bat Ears said the Cold War was long gone and he among others like Biden ridiculed the very idy that Russia was still a threat.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,624 Senior Member
    It doesn't matter what we do to them. It only matters what they do to us.