A couple of cartridge questions

RugerFanRugerFan Senior MemberPosts: 1,773 Senior Member
I was just going through my cartridge collection and I have some questions about a couple of them

1. I have a rifle cartridge that has this on the headstamp: 7.65-65.  According to the measurements it evidently is a 7.65-53.  Any ideas why it would be stamped 7.65-65?

2. I bought a few at a gun  show. They came in little zip lock bags. 1 is labeled as: 25-20 Single Shot. The headstamp is just 25-20. Is there such a thing as a 25-20 Single shot?

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,231 Senior Member
    edited July 2018 #2
    I don't have my references here. Im sure Ive come across 25-20 some place. I think there used to be a 25 rimfire too.

Edit
    I think it was a varmint cartridge for repeaters, and was so accurate and popular the single shot target crowd adopted it.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,441 Senior Member
    Is the 7.65 an Argentine?
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,773 Senior Member
    bellcat said:
    I don't know. The other markings, as best as I can make them out are FM"S1"

I didn't Google those markings. All I found when I typed in 7.65-65 was 7.65 Mauser.
    Btw, anyone heard of a 41 S.D.A.? Apparently it's a 41 Short Colt. Forgot I had bought that 1.
    RugerFan said:
    bellcat said:
    I don't know. The other markings, as best as I can make them out are FM"S1"

I didn't Google those markings. All I found when I typed in 7.65-65 was 7.65 Mauser.
    Looks like it might be Argentine. There are scratches on that part of the headstamp that make it hard to read.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,525 Senior Member
    earlyagain said:x
    I don't have my references here. Im sure Ive come across 25-20 some place. I think there used to be a 25 rimfire too.

Edit
    I think it was a varmint cartridge for repeaters, and was so accurate and popular the single shot target crowd adopted it.
    There surely was a .25 rimfire.  Ammo is almost impossible to find and pricey when you do.It was not super popular snd production ceased in 1938 if what I have read is true. A fellow forum member found some a few years ago for me. It was not reliable and took several attempts to make it fire, if it did. I saved most of it with the gun. Maybe one day i will make a display of them and the rifle
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    RugerFan said:
    I was just going through my cartridge collection and I have some questions about a couple of them

1. I have a rifle cartridge that has this on the headstamp: 7.65-65.  According to the measurements it evidently is a 7.65-53.  Any ideas why it would be stamped 7.65-65?

2. I bought a few at a gun  show. They came in little zip lock bags. 1 is labeled as: 25-20 Single Shot. The headstamp is just 25-20. Is there such a thing as a 25-20 Single shot?
    There is a difference between 25-20 Stevens single shot and the the more common 25-20 WCF. 
    The other is likely the 7.65 Argentine mauser the repeat could be year of manufacture.

Sako 
    Diver43 saidThere surely was a .25 rimfire.  Ammo is almost impossible to find and pricey when you do.It was not super popular snd production ceased in 1938 if what I have read is true. A fellow forum member found some a few years ago for me. It was not reliable and took several attempts to make it fire, if it did. I saved most of it with the gun. Maybe one day i will make a display of them and the rifle
    I have two books authored by Elmer Keith. In one or both he mentions a decided preference for the 25 rimfire for small game and laments its passing.
    sakodude said:
    RugerFan said:

There is a difference between 25-20 Stevens single shot and the the more common 25-20 WCF. 
    The other is likely the 7.65 Argentine mauser the repeat could be year of manufacture.

Sako 
    Thanks! I'll look those up and see if I can determine what I have.
    It's a centerfire.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,326 Senior Member
    edited July 2018 #13
    Agree with Sako; most military production of 7.65 Mauser (Or Belgian, or Argentine) had the production year stamped along with the caliber. Users were Argentina, Paraguay, Bolivia and us. (The rest used 7mm Mauser less Ecuador which used 8mm. Mauser)
    THanks for all of the info. According to the dimensions in my Cartridges of the World book(1972 edition) and what I measured with my el cheapo Harbor Freight calipers it is a 25-20 Single Shot. 

I never knew the year was stamped on some ammo.  I'll label it as 7.65 Argentine. 

I did find a .30 Rem case in my collection.  I hadn't planned on displaying any empty cases, but I think I might include this one. 
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,487 Senior Member
    What cartridges do yo have and do you want more?
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    edited July 2018 #16
    I'll see type up a list and see if I can.copy it to the forum. 

I definitely want more. I've been looking for and collecting old or obscure cartridges. It least for this area. I have have the usual .223, 9mm, 30-30, 30-06, etc. But a also have a .44 Henry Rimfire, 40-70 Win, 351 SLR, 32SLR, 41SDA, 38 Long Colt, 38 s&w, 22 rem jet. A few are more common but not around here: .222, 338 Win Mag, 454 Casull. 

I would.love to be able to pick through Weatherby's collection!!!

I have thought about asking folks here to send me some but I figure it's pretty expensive to ship loaded ammo. While I am willing to pay, it'll get expensive quickly. 

I have found an auction site that sells old, obsolete ammo but I haven't started buying on there yet. I'm probably gonna start soon though.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,068 Senior Member
    7 and 8 mm Nambu!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Those would be cool to have!
    Would be much appreciated!!
    Here is a list of what I have.

22 Short, L, LR, WMR                      25acp

38 Spl                                               32 S&W Long

9mm Luger                                       32-20

38 S&W                                             380

32 Colt                                                  41 Long Colt

10mm                                                   351 SLR

32 SLR                                                   44 Russian

45 Colt                                                  44 Mag

357 Mag                                              480 Ruger

454 Casull                                            30 Carbine

455 Webley                                        44 Henry

41 SDA                                                  22 Rem Jet

25-20 Single Shot                             40-70 WCF

222                                                         308 Win

257 Roberts                                       303 Savage

30-06                                                     7.62 Russ

243 Win                                               280 Rem

8mm Mauser                                     30-30 Win

7.65 Argentine                                  35 Rem

260 Rem                                              25-06

45-70                                                     7mm Rem Mag

338 Win Mag                                     375 H&H

223                                                         7mm-08

303 British

And a 30 Rem case. Plus the Burnside cartridge case Old Ron was gracious enough to send me.  I would like to get a bullet to set in the case.

I have a couple of old paper hull 28 gauge.  I thought I had a 10 ga but I can't find it.  I've got a feeling I have a few more cartridges around here somewhere.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,253 Senior Member
    edited July 2018 #21
    The easy fix for a -06 rechambered Argentine Mauser is to reload with .311 bullets.  Just swap the decap-resize pin for a .311 item instead of a .308. 
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    edited July 2018 #22
    This auction site has some neat stuff. 

https://wardscollectibles.com/#featured

The next auction is in August.  I have never purchased anything from them.  Don't know anything about them.

Look in the "Guns and Single Cartridges" category. Right now what is showing is from the previous auction in May.  Some interesting items. And it has the final bid price.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,038 Senior Member
    A 7.65 1909 Argentine is probably the finest of all the military Mausers.  It was as good a finished gun as ever made and they bring a premium if you can find them.

I've got a 7.65 95 rifle, a in-line magazine carbine.  I love the round.

I think I remember 7.62 Match ammo with a date code on it.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    A member was generous enough to send me a Burnside cartridge.  I would like to have a bullet to display with it.  Anybody know where I can get just 1 bullet for a Burnside rifle? The case mouth measures .55 according to my el cheapo calipers.
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,634 Senior Member
    I will look around in my bullets a bit & see if there is anything in there you can use. If they are loaded I will try to pull the bullets  dump the powder & set off the primer then I can send them to you.
    I hate for you to go to that trouble. I found a source for Burnside bullets.  I've emailed them to see if they will sell just one bullet. It;ll be next week, I'm sure, before I get a reply.
    Is this the kind of bullets you are looking for ?
    Left to right
    Norma re special
    WRA Co 30G 1905
    WW Super 338 Win Mag
    no name or stamp
    R-P 338 Win Mag
    R-P 30 - 40 KRAGFA 34

Old Ron said:
    Is this the kind of bullets you are looking for ?
    Left to right
    Norma re special--Don't know what it is but looks interesting!!
    WRA Co 30G 1905-----is this a 30-03????
    WW Super 338 Win Mag---i have a 338 win Mag
    no name or stamp----see #1 above :)
    R-P 338 Win Mag
    R-P 30 - 40 KRAGFA 34---Don't have 1 of these!

I'll certainly take them, Ron. Let me know what the shipping is and I'll send you some $$$$!!!!!!!
    I didn't know that. I thought UPS charged extra for.loaded ammo.
    Real happy you said that Doc I was going to start pulling them today.
    What does  ORM-D mean ? I was tempted to put them in one of those $5 if it fits it ships boxes from the post office.

That just saved me time to look around & see if I have anything else to send him.
    I shoot some NATO 223 & chicom 762x39 steel cases & some fmj 223. He might like in the collection all collections should have military too .....right ?