Is this cool or what?

2»

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    edited July 2018 #32
    tennmike said:
    If I were going to build a reset target it would have NO electrical/air power reset. It would be a simple mechanical reset. Something similar to this:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/380169/caldwell-resetting-target-system-pistol-up-to-45-acp-steel

BUT, the target mechanism would be protected by 1 1/2" thick A500 steel, minimum, and ONLY the target rounds would be visible. Some shooters have the ability to destroy an anvil with a 2 pound rubber mallet.  :D  The target rounds would be 1" thick A500 for the same reason. Easy  to build, not too difficult to set up, and basically 'bulletproof'. If you wanted to save a little coin, the target rounds could be made from 1/2-3/4" CRS and be easy bolt on replacement.
    made. You reset it with a rope.
    That's a good price if it was worth a crap.
    The one we have at the range is very heavy duty. Not real portable but it's durable.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    If I were going to build a reset target it would have NO electrical/air power reset. It would be a simple mechanical reset. Something similar to this:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/380169/caldwell-resetting-target-system-pistol-up-to-45-acp-steel

BUT, the target mechanism would be protected by 1 1/2" thick A500 steel, minimum, and ONLY the target rounds would be visible. Some shooters have the ability to destroy an anvil with a 2 pound rubber mallet.  :D  The target rounds would be 1" thick A500 for the same reason. Easy to build, not too difficult to set up, and basically 'bulletproof'. If you wanted to save a little coin, the target rounds could be made from 1/2-3/4" CRS and be easy bolt on replacement.

We have one similar at our range but it's home made and reset with a rope.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,274 Senior Member
    The problem with plate racks is spatter tears up the unhardened parts over time.  No real way to avoid it unless you make heavy duty enough its immovable w/o a tractor.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,496 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    tennmike said:

BUT, the target mechanism would be protected by 1 1/2" thick A500 steel, minimum, and ONLY the target rounds would be visible. Some shooters have the ability to destroy an anvil with a 2 pound rubber mallet.  :D  The target rounds would be 1" thick A500 for the same reason. Easy to build, not too difficult to set up, and basically 'bulletproof'. If you wanted to save a little coin, the target rounds could be made from 1/2-3/4" CRS and be easy bolt on replacement.

That's what I was thinking of when I suggested the 12v reset with a remote, nobody can shoot the rope and you just push a button.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,496 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    tennmike said:

That's what I was thinking of when I suggested the 12v reset with a remote, nobody can shoot the rope and you just push a button.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,794 Senior Member
    I hope Mike is taking note here so he can have it for the next shoot !  lol
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,037 Senior Member
    BAMAAK said:
    a rope is cheaper
    WE HAVE A WINNER!

Compressors, pistons, electronic controls, which only run perfectly until you host your first big match. . .  I vote "or what"
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,551 Senior Member

Same outfit makes this, rope reset version. I especially like the forward target at ground level! POP-HIIIISSSSSSSSSSS

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,095 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    I hope Mike is taking note here so he can have it for the next shoot !  lol
    You've got me confused with some other Mike around here. And I ain't sayin', just sayin'.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

Ten 6" round x 5/8" thick round targets for around $250-$300. Steel to make a SUBSTANTIAL frame that can take the punishment of high speed bullets would be around $500 minimum; 1" thick CRS ain't cheap! Welding all that mess up, AND buying a trailer with a 1,000 lb lift boom to haul it and set it up.........Shocked scream animated emoticon

I am NOT you huckleberry on this one! :D
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,444 Senior Member
    I brought my silhouette target and it survived just fine. It is made out of ar500 and it only got one mark on it. If it is close it is only safe with pistol rounds and they won't hurt it. I would bring my dueling tree but it won't fit in the trunk. A certain person thought I might have over built my stand   but it was on hand and free. 
  • deewelchdeewelch Posts: 5 New Member
    zorba said:

This one is cool!
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,921 Senior Member
    zorba said:

Same outfit makes this, rope reset version. I especially like the forward target at ground level! POP-HIIIISSSSSSSSSSS

Those tires wouldn't survive 5 minutes at the shoot. :D
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,551 Senior Member
    Those tires wouldn't survive 5 seconds at the shoot. :D
    FIFY!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba said:
    Those tires wouldn't survive 5 seconds at the shoot. :D
    FIFY!
    Your estimate is closer to the truth. There IS a fix for that, though.
    Use one of these in front of the tire with the concave facing the shooting position. Ricochets coming back at the errant shooter will cure them of targeting the tire. :D

https://www.shoupparts.com/858-Disc-Blade

The frame and trailer tongue would still get shot to doll rags, though.