Savage 24 repair

FreezerFreezer Senior MemberPosts: 1,496 Senior Member
I was at the LGS the other day and saw a Savage 24 in a box that I assumed correctly was heading for the junk. I sold one before my move and have regretted it. I inquired about it and the owner said the frame was cracked. This LGS doesn't do much gunsmith work. Is this something that could be welded? If yes this could be a nice tinker project.
I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,940 Senior Member
    Being a break open, I wouldn't think so.

However, I have no actual knowledge, other than a S.W.A.G
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,780 Senior Member
    I think it would depend some on where it was cracked and also what it was chambered in.
    I regret not picking one up that was 410/22 mag.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,073 Senior Member
    Depends on the chambering. if it's a .22/.410 maybe, anything bigger I wouldn't trust it.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,496 Senior Member
    Mine was 410/22 mag with a scope that was red illuminated for hunting squirrels in the dark trees. It looked bad when I bought it for $75 but it cleaned up very well.

I may stop by the LGS today and ask about it.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,909 Senior Member
    I also would think it depends on where it was cracked. If it's not right in the breach area you might could.  Also, Like was said a 410/22 mag is low enough pressure it might not be a big deal.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,180 Senior Member
    edited July 2018 #7
    Like already said, depends on where the crack is located, and the chambering, AND whether or not the crack can be easily accessed for repair.

I have one in .22LR/20 gauge. Good walking around in the woods and fields gun.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,909 Senior Member
    I always wanted one when I was a kid in Seadrift Texas for just such as you mention. Walk around hunting back there then consisted of random shots of quail and rabbits.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I visited the LGS yesterday and looked at the barrel, its a 22LR/20 gauge. She couldn't find the frame or other arts but will look next week. I found a web site where I can get a frame for $50. This might be a fun project for under $125.
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,839 Senior Member
    Is this project camera shy ? I had a few like that but beat them a bit & posted there picture ! lol
    I don't have any of the parts yet, this is the research and planning stage.
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,839 Senior Member
    OK looking forward to the process.......good luck !