First trip out with the new .45! .45 Colt that is.

JeeperJeeper Senior MemberPosts: 2,952 Senior Member
I have had a convertible (.45 Colt/.45 ACP) Ruger Blackhawk in blued finish for quite a while and absolutely love it, but have been wanting one in stainless steel with the same short barrel length of 4.62 in.  Well, thanks to Lipsey's one finally became available, with (simulated) ivory grips no less <3 !  So after watching GB for a while, I managed to snag one for ~$50 less than the usual going price (don't ask, its still painful :# ).  

This was my first trip to the range since last year (I know, I know, shame on me  :/ ) so I was a little worried if I'd be up to the task of managing adequately consistent groups to properly adjust the sights for the +P+ loads (300 grain XTP's @ ~1300 fps) I like to shoot out of my .45 Colts.

Turns out no worries!  Gotta hand a huge thanks to my buddy for bringing his screwdrivers to the range (since I forgot  :s) though.  After warming up a bit with .45 ACP, and getting the sights horizontally adjusted, it was on to the main course!

Skipping straight to the end, after a couple adjustments, heres the final group at 25 yds.  ~2 5/8" with one called flyer off to the left (first shot).  Under 1.75" for the remaining 4 shots!  All off a rest of course.

My prescription has changed.  My sights are no longer super clear anymore... Slightly fuzzy.   :(. Still adequate though.

Just before leaving, I put one target up for one cylinder of offhand shooting before we got kicked out (hour was up already... how does that happen?).  Results below... Offhand at ~8yds.

Can't wait to drag it back out to the range for a lot more practice with .45acp!
Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Looks good and good shootin too!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,664 Senior Member
    Looks great and good shooting also.  Wish I had gotten the convertible myself.  The gun just balances in your hand
    Good find!!!
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,802 Senior Member
    Mine is still in the box waiting for me to build the bullet trap .......it's a sad thing.
    Was all the shots 45 ACP  ?

• JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Old Ron, no, the first target shown above was using hot .45 Colt loads (300 grain XTP @ ~1300fps).  I went through ~15 rounds to get it dialed in.
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    What's the trigger pull like?  I put a Wolff kit in my Blackhawk. Medium weight. My New Vaquero is pretty good like it is, but I bought a kit for it two, yet to put it in.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,601 Senior Member
    Wow! That's a beauty. Flat top frame! Nice!
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,248 Senior Member
    Jeeper said:

Just before leaving, I put one target up for one cylinder of offhand shooting before we got kicked out (hour was up already... how does that happen?).  Results below... Offhand at ~8yds.
    Nice shootin!  My wife and I went to the range this afternoon for some long overdue practice with our carry guns.  How long overdue?  Long enough that I am not going to post pics of the targets.  :D   I shot two-handed from a rest, two handed without a rest and then one handed without a rest.  One handed without a rest actually yielded the best results. confused shrug smiley
     You mentioning getting kicked out after an hour makes me glad we belong to a members only outdoor range.  Only limit is daylight and how much ammo you brought.....but I still look forward to the day I have enough property to have my own range.

edited July 2018 #9
    Big Chief said:
    What's the trigger pull like?  I put a Wolff kit in my Blackhawk. Medium weight. My New Vaquero is pretty good like it is, but I bought a kit for it two, yet to put it in.

The trigger has a little take-up, and a little overtravel, but has a very smooth release.  Since it will be a hunting and plinking toy, I likely won't mess with it much except to maybe polish it up a little.  I have plenty of other choices better suited to maximize accuracy and target practice (older S&W's mostly).  I am REALLY hoping to eventually get a hog with this one.

The range limits us to an hour at a time when there is a line (~45 minute wait today) but you can re-list for another hour after you get out if you want... I just didn't have time for that today.  Gotta love the range though... All air conditioned, with a lounge with free coffee, sodas, hot chocolate, and comfy chairs to watch the shooting lanes through the (bulletproof) glass.  It's always entertaining to watch other shooters.

Luis
    I had that gun in blue and I sold it to replace it with a stainless, but somehow that has not happened yet.  You just reminded me that I need to get on that...

Oh and YOU SUCK!!!!!!! 🤬
    Yeah... I don't do that anymore.  Once sold a prized .44 (a MINT old 6" S&W 29), and didn't get to replace it for several years.  Basically, I don't let anything go until I have a better replacement in hand that I am SURE I like better.

Luis
    Jeeper said:

The range limits us to an hour at a time when there is a line (~45 minute wait today) but you can re-list for another hour after you get out if you want... I just didn't have time for that today.  Gotta love the range though... All air conditioned, with a lounge with free coffee, sodas, hot chocolate, and comfy chairs to watch the shooting lanes through the (bulletproof) glass.  It's always entertaining to watch other shooters.

Luis
    Well, there are advantages and disadvantages......my wife and I were the only ones on the pistol range this afternoon, so there was no wait........but no air conditioning or lounge, or coffee, free or otherwise, or sodas or hot chocolate.  Chairs, yes....comfy, no.  But it was a nice day, only mid '90's with a mere 100% humidity.....gee, maybe that's why we had the place to ourselves.  :D
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,853 Senior Member
    Jeeper said:

Luis
    Well, there are advantages and disadvantages......my wife and I were the only ones on the pistol range this afternoon, so there was no wait........but no air conditioning or lounge, or coffee, free or otherwise, or sodas or hot chocolate.  Chairs, yes....comfy, no.  But it was a nice day, only mid '90's with a mere 100% humidity.....gee, maybe that's why we had the place to ourselves.  :D
    I'm 70 years old and been shooting since I was like 7years old and I've never shot in the AC. It has always been 20-30 degrees, 40-50 degrees or 95-100 degrees and I had no control over it. Just get tough, do it, enjoy it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Snake, I did that for many years, but now that I have the option of an air conditioned range, I'm taking it!  LOL
    I used to go to an indoor range, but as often as I wanted to go shooting, that got real expensive real fast.  Now for $120 a year for me and $60 a year for my wife I have unlimited range time.
    Now if i could just figure out how to get free ammo.............
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Looks like a shooter
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.