GP100 44 special Holster project

Elk creekElk creek Senior MemberPosts: 5,751 Senior Member

Stay tuned!
Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I don't think that will hold the gun very good.

Nice .44 Spl.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,751 Senior Member
    Let me be the first one to tell you that you SUCK!
    Thanks! I’ve had this one in mind for a fun holster. 
    Big Chief said:
    I don't think that will hold the gun very good.

Nice .44 Spl.
    🤣😂
    Probably not. Luckily I have some leather laying around that I will cut up from that pattern.  
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,627 Senior Member
    Yeah. That’s a .44 Spl I’d own. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    I like the looks of that .44 Spl and if I didn't already own 2 S&W model 624s in .44 Spl I'd surely be lookin hard at one.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Big Chief said:
    I like the looks of that .44 Spl and if I didn't already own 2 S&W model 624s in .44 Spl I'd surely be lookin hard at one.
    Why should that stop you? I have a Flattop and a 3” GP in the special.....just do it, you know you want to😈
    Zee said:
    Yeah. That’s a .44 Spl I’d own. 
    That’s what I said when I saw it too....
    Heck, strong as the GP-100s are a reloader could sure pump up the loads up to +P+ Spl loads or low end .44 Magnums ones without worry.

I haven't seen much about reloading specifically for the GP-100, though. Then again, you want a Magnum, buy one, but still the anemic factory loads leave a lot to be desired in most cases.  
    Big Chief said:
    Heck, strong as the GP-100s are a reloader could sure pump up the loads up to +P+ Spl loads or low end .44 Magnums ones without worry.

I haven't seen much about reloading specifically for the GP-100, though. Then again, you want a Magnum, buy one, but still the anemic factory loads leave a lot to be desired in most cases.  
    I’m running Skeeter’s loads through them and there is no problems.... I have a 180 grain jacketed load too. Well and about a dozen other loads I’ve shot through them. 
    Was Skeeter's load 7.5 grains Unique.............?

edited July 2018 #12
    Big Chief said:
    Was Skeeter's load 7.5 grains Unique.............?

That’s the one. With a 240 Keith bullet. 
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    Think that will hold up in the rain?
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,672 Senior Member
    Looking forward to seeing your progress.  Thats a great gun, deserving of some good leather
    Progress pictures if you can
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    NN said:
    Think that will hold up in the rain?
    Sure! That’s what waterproofing is for. 

Diver43 said:
    Looking forward to seeing your progress.  Thats a great gun, deserving of some good leather
    Progress pictures if you can
    Thanks! Will do. 
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Yea I'd buy that! Does it come in stainless?
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Yea I'd buy that! Does it come in stainless?
    Not yet. The 3” is the only stainless 44special DA they make, as far as I know. 
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,803 Senior Member
    Do you have a machine to do the stitching ? The bullet loops has to be a pain.
    Old Ron said:
    Do you have a machine to do the stitching ? The bullet loops has to be a pain.
    No, I do not have a machine. I switch it all by hand. I have a little gizmo that looks like a mini spur rowl that will evenly space the stitches then I get the awl and punch my hole. One at a time! Yes, cartridge loops are a pain in the butt!
    Wow that's a lot of work all around. I would be finding a used leather sewing machine.
    As I get older I find ways to do things faster because I don't have the time to do real slow projects. That said I do so many projects that it can take a year to get one done. 
    But there are several in different stages of completion ready to go. Mixing in the one day projects I usually get a lot done in a year. You have a really good talent there Elk !

Thanks, Ron! I have looked into machines and an old used one runs 1200 and up. That’s for a manual not a motorized setup. 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,072 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    Wow that's a lot of work all around. I would be finding a used leather sewing machine.
    As I get older I find ways to do things faster because I don't have the time to do real slow projects. That said I do so many projects that it can take a year to get one done. 
    But there are several in different stages of completion ready to go. Mixing in the one day projects I usually get a lot done in a year. You have a really good talent there Elk !

" Faster" isn't necessarily better...well done hand stitching looks much better....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,607 Senior Member
    edited July 2018 #24
    Elk creek said:
    Thanks, Ron! I have looked into machines and an old used one runs 1200 and up. That’s for a manual not a motorized setup. 
    I’ve been looking for years for a used one for a reasonable price and it’s basically impossible.  Been tempted to just buy something new but just can’t justify blowing $1500 on one when I’ll have super limited time to use it.
    Pretty much. A 100 year old Singer 29 will run you $800 - if you're lucky. You might find a basket case somewhere and restore it - a guy on one of the sewing machine forums did that with a 19th century Hugo Wertheim "shoe patcher". Classic barn find, a pile of rusty metal ended up looking brand new. He had to machine a couple or three new parts for it too.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,607 Senior Member
    edited July 2018 #25
    If you have the patience for it. I hate hand stitching of any kind, and would rather spend 10 minutes setting up the machine to do a 15 second stitch than do it by hand! My wife's the other way around, she like hand stitching, but will only use a machine reluctantly.

BUT - sometimes there's no avoiding it. In that case, form a committee of one, elect yourself chairman, and appoint someone else to do it!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    We could all send patterns to elk & he could pump them out in a couple days.
    ( or I could be mistaken there )

Old Ron said:
    We could all send patterns to elk & he could pump them out in a couple days.
    ( or I could be mistaken there )

Ha! I’m slow, very slow. You can’t afford me either. If I hire I usually outprice  my self out out of the game so It is  still fun and not work. There are some things that are done just for the love and not money.  I do it as a labor of love. I love creating great holsters. That said I’ve made some flops too. 

cpj said:
    Hand stitch with the two needle method for me. Machines are way expensive, and would take doing it professionally to justify the cost. 

Oh, and THANK YOU for not using the 4 prong lacing punch to make your holes like a lot of guys (lazy ass and or ignorant) do. Annoys me to no end. #stitchingnazi
    The “devils pitch fork” has NO place of a good leatherworkers bench. Thank one I have is currently at the bottom of a dry box with the single hole prong. Never used never will!
    That my friend is nice work!

The devils in the details! 
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 938 Senior Member
    Damn good looking!