Question about ATN Digital/NV scopes

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,844 Senior Member
ATN X-Sight II Day/Night Vision 3-14x scopes ?????

Anybody own/used one?

Hogs appear to be over-running where I hunt (3 wallows and 10-12 piles of scat in one 1/2 acre field)

Wife's cousin (Landowner) lives out of state and will be calling Dept of F&G for a predation permit for me to do what I can to them.

Predation permits allow baiting and night hunting. Since hogs are more active at night, ordered 2 of the  one's listed  (Wife wants to hunt them too)

It will probably be easier to get her back up to speed on running an AR, then getting a rail for her Ruger, PLUS, she's not that fast running a bolt, so 2x  ARs should allow a few more to get shot.

Never used a NV or digital scope of any type before. Picked this one because I am familiar with the ATN brand, and it seems to be well respected.

EDU-Ma-Cate me please, and... did I just made a $1k mistake???

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,430 Senior Member
    edited July 2018 #2
    No idea, but the reviews I just scanned through are overwhelmingly positive. 1 thing I did gleam from them is that you should either use a good rechargeable or lithium batteries.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Like said above, the reviews look good!  Let us know after you use them!  I've looked at them a number of tines but haven't given it a green light yet.
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,844 Senior Member
    Thanks guys.

One's probably going on the 16" 300BO upper for her, and the other will go on my "hunting" 223 upper, so I can use my can
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    A friend of mine in FL has one, and I've shot the rifle at night with it. It works pretty darned good, too! He uses it to hunt hogs at night.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

Thanks Mike

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,726 Senior Member
    I have the version 1, and i have nothing but positive things to say about it.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    edited July 2018 #8
    I have the version 1, and i have nothing but positive things to say about it.

THANK you!

I was pretty sure you had some sort of NV. Glad to hear it's the earlier version of this one

edited July 2018 #9
    The only thing that bothers me is them only being "rated" for 308.

I'm guessing the 50 Beowulf is "off-limits" for them, since its recoil is on par with a 12ga slug

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Does your Beowulf have a really efficient brake on it? I don't remember since it's been a while since I've seen it. A really good brake makes a big difference in scope longevity.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    I have one on one of my ARs. I like it. Mine is the second gen. I got a great deal on it right before they released the 3rd gens. I think I did a basic range report on mine st one point. The IR illuminator that comes with them isn’t very good for much passed 75 yards or so. For longer range, get a better illuminator. The battery life also isn’t very good. I got mine with the external power supply kit. Bought 2 extra cell phone charger packs at Walgreens on sale. Plenty to run the scope for a long while. If you have good moonlight you might not even need the IR light on. 

Down sides, it’s very heavy. I think mine weighs around 5 pounds by itself. Also, they are HD, but only on the lowest setting. As you zoom in, they get a little pixelated. And with the brake I have on my AR, it temporarily blinds the scope every time I fire. 

I hope you didnt pay $1000 for a gen 2. I paid less than $500 for mine from optics planet, with the external power supply kit. I also bought an ATN rangefinder. It pairs with the scope via Bluetooth. Click the rangefinder, scope automatically receives the range. When you have your ballistic info saved on the scope, it automatically adjusts your poa for the distance ranged. Mine has proven to be accurate out to 300 yards. The gen 3s haven the option of mounting the range finder on the scope and it does the same thing. 

Doing a quick search, I guess I didn’t post a range report on it like I thought. Just a post when I bought it. Paid $479 with the external power supply kit. 
    Jay said:
    I hope you didnt pay $1000 for a gen 2. I paid less than $500 for mine from optics planet, with the external power supply kit.
    No, I paid nearly $1k for 2 of them

$469.99x2
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/atn-x-sight-ii-day-night-riflescopes.html

edited July 2018 #14
    BTW, will I need a riser for my ARs or are they a proper height without one???

And since I forgot to say so earlier...

THANK YOU!!!

My suppressor should eliminate the blinding on my 223, I haven't gotten around to filing for a stamp to build my 30 cal can yet.

TennMike, there's NO muzzle device on my 'wulf, so it's "full bore" recoil, similar to a light 12ga shooting sabot slugs

knitepoet said:
    Jay said:
    I hope you didnt pay $1000 for a gen 2. I paid less than $500 for mine from optics planet, with the external power supply kit.
    No, I paid nearly $1k for 2 of them

$469.99x2
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/atn-x-sight-ii-day-night-riflescopes.html

Oh ok. Didn’t notice where you said two of them. That makes sense. 👍
    knitepoet said:
    BTW, will I need a riser for my ARs or are they a proper height without one???

And since I forgot to say so earlier...

THANK YOU!!!

No riser needed. The mount base that comes on them attaches directly to the rail and is already the correct height. Unless someone wanted it higher, but it would be way too high for me on a riser. 👍
    Get the power cable and some 20,000 milli amp hour charger packs. I haven’t run mine long on just the batteries, but reports I’ve seen say only 1-2 hour is run time on 4 AA batteries. Lithium batteries last a bit longer. 
    Thanks, I saw where they said ~2 hours on lithium batteries.
    I figure 1 battery pack so one of us can monitor the field, then the other can power on just for the shooting