All feeders and game cameras are up and running

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 1,324 Senior Member
I typically only run three feeders during the summer.  I filled all seven feeders today with corn as well as one bag of Antler Max mixed into each feeder.  All feeders got brand new batteries as the old ones were so old and charged so many times they'd only hold a charge for a week or so.  I had to replace four game cameras for various reason though all eleven game cameras got new batteries as well.  BTW Sam's club is the place to get AA batteries.  You get 48 for $19.95. Also if you're looking for game cameras eBay is the place to get them.  I got a 4-pack of Primos 10 mega pixels game cameras for $195.00.  These cameras are the easiest to set up, take great pictures day/night and last for years.  $49 a game camera is a steal!

I haven't filled the two protein feeders as this will come next week.  I have hog panels around the protein feeders to keep the cows and hogs out.  I have to bring the push weedwacker down to cut all the grass and weeds that has grown in the pen area.  If not when the wind blows the grass moves and I get a gazillion pictures from the game cameras of grass blowing in the wind!  Currently the ground is hard as concrete with the summer long drought.  I plan to create a 75 to 100'  foot run  about 30' wide off of the protein feeders pens with T-post and three stands of barb wire to plant turnips, clover and peas.  These will come up this fall if we can get some rain.  The problem is with my food plots the cows each new the green shoots as soon as they come out of the ground.  Hopefully this will create a good area to help hold the deer come deer season!

Deer season is just around the corner and I'm almost ready!  One new box blind to put up and some simple maintenance on the other stands!
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,407 Senior Member
    Man I miss my summer routine at the ranch...  glad you are having fun prepping for hunting season my friend!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,324 Senior Member
    Man I miss my summer routine at the ranch...  glad you are having fun prepping for hunting season my friend!
    My wife would tell you I find it therapeutic, I would agree! 
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,574 Senior Member
    I was just talking to a buddy about doing some poking around and setting a camera. I’ll be hunting public land, and would like to set up my camera. But I’d hate to lose it. Although where I’d place it would be pretty well out of the way of where people would be snooping around. I’ve found an EXCELLENT spot no one would hunt because “it’s too close to be highway”. Fair enough, just don’t tell the deer who cross said highway....
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    Oh I used to love my summer chores.  I'd set out on Saturday mornings to check on my tree stands and do maintenance, replace seats, tie-downs etc, clear my shooting lanes and trails and I'd always have a handgun and rifle with me because coyotes are stupid...  Clean up my range, reset posted signs and so on.  it was a great way to kill a summer weekend day.  Most of the time I'd do it on horseback, sometimes my daughter would come with me and we'd get lost in the woods for hours.  GOD I miss those days...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,541 Senior Member
    Oh I used to love my summer chores.  I'd set out on Saturday mornings to check on my tree stands and do maintenance, replace seats, tie-downs etc, clear my shooting lanes and trails and I'd always have a handgun and rifle with me because coyotes are stupid...  Clean up my range, reset posted signs and so on.  it was a great way to kill a summer weekend day.  Most of the time I'd do it on horseback, sometimes my daughter would come with me and we'd get lost in the woods for hours.  GOD I miss those days...
    Seems to be a recurring problem.............Lol.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,176 Senior Member
    edited July 29 #7
    I typically only run three feeders during the summer.  I filled all seven feeders today with corn as well as one bag of Antler Max mixed into each feeder.  All feeders got brand new batteries as the old ones were so old and charged so many times they'd only hold a charge for a week or so.  I had to replace four game cameras for various reason though all eleven game cameras got new batteries as well.  BTW Sam's club is the place to get AA batteries.  You get 48 for $19.95. Also if you're looking for game cameras eBay is the place to get them.  I got a 4-pack of Primos 10 mega pixels game cameras for $195.00.  These cameras are the easiest to set up, take great pictures day/night and last for years.  $49 a game camera is a steal!

I haven't filled the two protein feeders as this will come next week.  I have hog panels around the protein feeders to keep the cows and hogs out.  I have to bring the push weedwacker down to cut all the grass and weeds that has grown in the pen area.  If not when the wind blows the grass moves and I get a gazillion pictures from the game cameras of grass blowing in the wind!  Currently the ground is hard as concrete with the summer long drought.  I plan to create a 75 to 100'  foot run  about 30' wide off of the protein feeders pens with T-post and three stands of barb wire to plant turnips, clover and peas.  These will come up this fall if we can get some rain.  The problem is with my food plots the cows each new the green shoots as soon as they come out of the ground.  Hopefully this will create a good area to help hold the deer come deer season!

Deer season is just around the corner and I'm almost ready!  One new box blind to put up and some simple maintenance on the other stands!
    I have to fence in everything. Where we hunt is fenced in from most of the pasture on the ranch. The dummy that runs the cattle on the ranch used to let the cows in where we hunt in the off season. Now the dummy lets em in during season. I have never planted a food plot but my son in law and I plan on doing it this year, maybe this month. So we'll have to fence it in. we'll have to use hog panels because the hogs will eat it too. If you plant something the hogs will eat it down to the ground. So I guess the cows don't make any difference. You have to fence it in anyway. But the cows being in there is a pain in the butt anyway, because if they're between you and the deer you can't shoot and that has happened more than once.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    orchidman said:
    Seems to be a recurring problem.............Lol.
    Ok, I asked for that one...  :D