Major bummer!! Gunsmith closing!

LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior MemberPosts: 8,337 Senior Member
I had my local guy Hatfield refresh one of my carbines, and he told me today that he’s closing his doors at the end of the year.  

<darthvader>NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!</darthvader>

There’s a couple of minor things I need him to do before then, but afterwards I’ll have to find someone else more-or-less local...
“A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,847 Senior Member
    That is a sad thing to see.
    Many have told me there just isn't enough money in it to make a steady living .
    Once the good ones are gone then there will only be hacks left that will over charge & do bad work. The ones that take pride in there work are getting to be few & far between.

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    He’s not hurting for business or money; in fact, one of the reasons he’s closing is to write a series of books for a college program.  Just moving on to a new chapter.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,750 Senior Member
    Is this the guy in Virginia that you pointed us to with the Springfield 1873?  If so, you are losing a good one.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Yeah, my guy in Manassas.  Says he may come back in a year or two for limited custom stuff, but yeah, he’s good.

NRA Endowment Member
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,766 Senior Member
    It’s only a matter of. A couple years before our local smith called it quits. The Craftsmen are leaving us and we get stuck with the parts mashers. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Yup, a "gunsmith" these days is a kid who puts together an AR15 or beds a plastic stock.  And that's about it
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,018 Senior Member
    That sux Larry :(
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 963 Senior Member
    There are very few people that want to pay us what we are worth. You tell them a price and all of a sudden they turn into a tire kicker looking at a used car. You can either pay for a good job or a YouTube job and the result WILL show.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,930 Senior Member
    I don't think mine is oing anywhere for awhile but he's very slow. Hes a damn good gun smith but gun smithing is only his side line. His bread and butter is oil field machine work.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,492 Senior Member
    Lost ours a couple years ago so he could work on nothing but rifle stocks.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,578 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    I don't think mine is oing anywhere for awhile but he's very slow. Hes a damn good gun smith but gun smithing is only his side line. His bread and butter is oil field machine work.
    Very true, I started smithing in 1960, at first it was mainly repairs, as i started doing more advanced work the cost for tooling got to be very expensive, buying lathes, mills, tig welders, etc, add to that the cost of running all that tooling, insurance, heating and ac etc. Had it not been for my main job, working at the airlines i would not have been able to afford all my toys.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,212 Senior Member
    There's a lot of guys out there that call themselves "gunsmiths" because they can put together an AR or install a rail in pre-drilled holes...but shy away from drilling a couple of holes in a receiver...you know...basic gunsmith stuff...It took my last gunsmith in Kansas took near three months to install a tang sight on my 1895 Marlin...not because he was slow but because he was busy...and I didn't have problem one with it...
     It's a dying art...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"