Not impressed

bellcatbellcat Senior MemberPosts: 1,441 Senior Member
with my new Lee priming tool. I broke the handle on older one and they sold me their new one for half price.  Clunky and not smooth, hopefully it will break in.
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Replies

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,321 Senior Member
    I’ve never used one. I love my RCBS. Never had a problem with it. Only down side is, it will only use RCBS shell holders. Other brands don’t fit. But, at least it uses regular shell holders and doesn’t require special holders that can’t be used for anything else. 
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,662 Senior Member
    I've got 2 of the older LEEs, I had to open the top of one up slightly do that 50 beowulf cases would fit. Luckily, a sanding drum on a dremel tool is a perfect fit.

So I keep that one set up dedicated to large primers and the other one dedicated to small
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,353 Senior Member
    Only had lees. Never broke one. But anything can break. 

It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,980 Senior Member
    I have an RCBS hand held one I like, have plenty Lees some I bought and some I inherited. I broke one years ago, handle snapped in two. They all work and have improvements made to them over the years.

My RCBS is a Universial one, no shell holders needed, has jaws.

I need to find the Lg primer seater rod for it though or buy one to convert it.

I use the one on the turret press that swings and you click a primer into the cup on the ram an older version of the Safety Prime.

I usually prime rifle cases by hand.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,321 Senior Member
    I had the universal RCBS hand primer before. It broke shortly after I started using it. The pin that held one end of the spring on broke, which then made the jaws not work. I also had a problem with it not holding 45 colt and 454 Casull cases while I primed them. It would seat the primer part of the way, then lose its grip on the case and spit it out. Then I couldn’t get the case back in it due to the primer sticking out. Since it was still almost new when it broke, I sent it in and traded it for the one that uses shell holders. 
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,368 Senior Member
    I have been using the same Lee since the 80s and it still works but have noticed a little more give in the handle.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,825 Senior Member
    Get one of these and thank me later. 

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,663 Senior Member
    I have one of the older Lee ones, and it does exactly what I need it to do.  The new one looks strange
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    I have an old lee made on the very early 80s that is set up for large primers. The top is cracked and even open in one spot. I lost the small primer parts to it so I bought a new Lee about 5 years back. It stays set up for small primers.  I like Lees fine but I've never used anything else.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,487 Senior Member
    I don't think I've used anything but Lee. I don't think I'd like shaking hands with you, you have too strong of a grip ;)      

I did see three of the older versions of the Lee hand Primer for sale on E Bay for between $5 & $15. I also saw Lee's new bench primer thats looked cool. I have the Auto Prime that attaches to the top of the press and that also worked fine.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,441 Senior Member
    JKP said:
    Get one of these and thank me later. 

I do like  the look of the RCBS bench primer!
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,441 Senior Member
    Freezer said:
    I don't think I've used anything but Lee. I don't think I'd like shaking hands with you, you have too strong of a grip ;)      

I did see three of the older versions of the Lee hand Primer for sale on E Bay for between $5 & $15. I also saw Lee's new bench primer thats looked cool. I have the Auto Prime that attaches to the top of the press and that also worked fine

That is funny! I shoulda looked at EBay 
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,101 Senior Member
    S happens.

when i got my lee, i forgot  :D to lube the cam and it wore out.  I just ordered a replaces and while i was at it ordered replacement to rebuild the whole thing.  Not many parts so it was worth it.

also over time some friends gave me theirs when they upgraded so i have several and are setup to run Large or Small primers.

i havent need to upgrade or buy a new version so im just keeping my old ones.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,043 Senior Member
    I have two, one for large and one for small primers.  That was all I used until I bought a RCBS capper.  It's quicker, a lot quicker and I won't go back.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06