Cat - It’s what’s for dinner.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 19,445 Senior Member
Got another Bobcat last night. Been getting another one  on camera so, figured with the full moon I’d go out and try to nab him. 

Took three different stands. But, he finally. Amie in. Was looking out front, thinking whatever came in would come from that direction. At the last minute, I turned around and looked behind me. He was standing at 150 yrds next to the brush at the edge of the two-track. I had just enough time (standing in the back of the Mule), to spin around, sit down, and balance the bipod on the edge of the tailgate. He took a few steps across the two track, turned around and was heading into the brush when I caught him at the back of the ribs/lungs just below the spine with a 64gr Speer GD from my 20” AR-15. At the shot, he dropped. But, I saw him get up and disappear into the brush. 

Driving over to the spot he dropped, I saw him about 3 feet away. Just inside the brush. Dead.  

A smaller Tom, he only weighed 15lbs. 

I’ve never eaten a cat before. So............this will be a first. 

Going to go season and marinate him this afternoon. Cook him on the grill tomorrow for dinner. Any suggestions?

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,055 Senior Member
    Nice! Hopefully taking a few of those out as you have will help the quail population. 

As as far as how to prepare it, got me there. Never had cat before. But I hear there’s several ways to skin one....
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,174 Senior Member
    Seasonings? Something Asian would be a good bet.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,445 Senior Member
    Ha!
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,068 Senior Member
    I would like to have some good cat recipes. This is all I found - you might adapt it.

Kitten Almond Ding

Meat from 2 whole kittens (about 2 lbs.)
    1 egg white
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. cornstarch
    1 tsp. soy sauce
    Dash of white pepper
    2 med. carrots
    2 tbsp. oyster sauce or 1 tbsp. dark soy sauce
    1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. cornstarch
    1/4 tsp. water
    Vegetable oil
    2 tbsp. vegetable oil
    1/4 c. diced onion
    1 tsp. finely chopped garlic
    1 tsp. finely chopped gingerroot
    1 c. diced celery
    1/2 c. diced canned water chestnuts
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 d. diced bamboo shoots
    1 can (4 oz.) button mushrooms, drained
    1/2 c. kitten broth made from boiled kitten meat
    1 c. frozen peas
    1/2 c. roasted whole almonds
    2 tbsp. chopped green onions (with tops)

Remove bones, entrails and skin from kittens. Cut kittens into 1/4 inch pieces. Mix egg white, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cornstarch, the soy sauce and white pepper in glass or plastic bowl. Stir in kitten meat. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes. Cut carrots into 1/2 inch pieces. Place carrots in boiling water. Cover and cook 1 minute. Immediately rinse under running cold water. Drain. Mix oyster sauce, 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch and the water. Heat vegetable oil (1 inch) in wok to 325 degrees. Add kitten meat. Fry, turning frequently, until kitten meat turns brown. Remove from wok to strainer. Wash and dry wok thoroughly. Heat wok until 1 or 2 drops of water bubble and skitter when sprinkled in wok. Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Rotate wok to coat side. Add onion, garlic and gingerroot. Stir-fry until garlic is light brown. Add celery, water chestnuts and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir-fry 1 minute. Add bamboo shoots and mushrooms; stir-fry 1 minute. Stir in carrots, kitten meat and kitten broth. Heat to boiling; cover and stir until thickened, about 20 seconds. Stir in peas. Garnish with almonds and green onions. 6 servings.

Microwave Reheat Directions: Prepare Kitten Almond Ding as directed except—omit peas, almonds and green onions; cover and refrigerate no longer than 24 hours. Just before serving, prepare peas, almonds and green onions. Cover kitten mixture tightly and microwave on microproof platter or bowl on high (100%) power 5 minutes; stir in peas. Cover and microwave until hot, about 5 minutes longer. Garnish with almonds and green onions.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member

"Filet Meow"

I've read that the oldtime mountain men preferred cougar over just about any other wild game.  Don't know if the bobcat is in the same ballpark or not, flavor-wise 

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,968 Senior Member
    Wash it first. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,969 Senior Member
    From the folks I know who have eaten bobcats, they tell me to treat it like veal...youngish cat like that should be pretty tender...I would tale the loins and make cutlets...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,463 Senior Member
    Serve with catsup?🐯
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,217 Senior Member
    edited July 29 #10
    As someone who has recently eaten bobcat, do not over cook it. I thought cooking it well done would be "safer". It only makes it tough. It does have the taste and texture of pork. 
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
    edited July 30 #11
    Cat is in the brine until tomorrow morning. Then, I’ll cover with home made rib rub until I slow cook it on the grill tomorrow afternoon. 

cpj said:
    Wash it first. 
    I see what you did there. 
    Zee said:
    Cat is in the brine until tomorrow morning. Then, I’ll cover with home made rib rub until I slow cook it on the grill tomorrow afternoon. 
    Great idea! I'll hafta try it when the season opens in November. Yes, bobcats have a regulated season up here. 

Ayn Rand
    Zee said:
    cpj said:
    Wash it first. 
    I see what you did there. 
    Yup. Pretty sure it helps, too...
    I would definitely try it after a few beers. 

PS - Would be awesome to make sausage with some of it... 
    Jay said:

Everything is good as sausage. Last year, we made 40 lbs of beaver jalapeno/cheddar smokies and gave some as gifts, to family. 

Everyone thought it was venison. 

Ayn Rand
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,680 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    From the folks I know who have eaten bobcats, they tell me to treat it like veal...youngish cat like that should be pretty tender...I would tale the loins and make cutlets...
    This.  Think veal and DO NOT overcook.  Like chicken, cat has about 30 seconds of perfect between still raw and totally over cooked.  The second the meat is firm it is done.  Meat has a very delicate taste so it will just taste like whatever you season it with.  Reserve a small piece that only has the brining and taste it without seasoning and you’ll see how it really tastes.  It’s darn good eating.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    CaliFFL said:
    Zee said:
    Great idea! I'll hafta try it when the season opens in November. Yes, bobcats have a regulated season up here. 
    Gonna make a mesquite fire and smoke it with indirect heat for about an hour and a half. Then, wrap in foil with some veggies, brown sugar, and a dark beer. Cool for an hour or two longer. 
    Zee said:
    CaliFFL said:
    Zee said:
    Gonna make a mesquite fire and smoke it with indirect heat for about an hour and a half. Then, wrap in foil with some veggies, brown sugar, and a dark beer. Cool for an hour or two longer. 
    Damn, that sounds good. Looking forward to my next cat. 

Ayn Rand
    HEB has pre-diced packs of purple onion, cilantro, and mushrooms in the produce section. 

Gonna get one of those and cover the cat with it before I wrap in foil. 
    HEB...awesome grocery store. I wish they were this far north...

Ayn Rand
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,569 Senior Member
    You guys are making me hungry.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
    Let me know what it is like. I got 5 kittens and a mama cat here at the house....
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,968 Senior Member
    Let me know what it is like. I got 5 kittens and a mama cat here at the house....
    There’s a BUNCH of feral cats roaming around here.  
    I could  make **** sausage. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    Sam Waas is rolling in his grave now.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,470 Senior Member
    edited July 30 #26
    Stir fry.
    Throw it into a wok with all sorts of vegetables,,,,,,,,,a little bit of white wine, a touch of garlic and ginger, ground black pepper and steam it gently.
    Serve it on noodles.

It works for the chinese takeaway place just up the road from me...............

The other alternative is to pan fry it, throw it into a saucepan with some water and curry powder, simmer it for a couple of hours then throw some vegetables into it along with sultana's..........and serve it on rice. Thats what the Indian takeaway place does just down the road.......

I guess you could go Mexican on it and cook it with chili...but I havent had any Mexican food from down the road so I dont know what it would taste like.

Btw, good shooting.

Are you going to make anything with the skin?

The irony of making one with **** fur does not escape me............

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman said:

Are you going to make anything with the skin?

The irony of making one with **** fur does not escape me............

That’s funny. 
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,302 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:
    Jay said:

Everything is good as sausage. Last year, we made 40 lbs of beaver jalapeno/cheddar smokies and gave some as gifts, to family. 

Everyone thought it was venison. 
    Huh.  You could mix Beaver and.... cat together to make a sausage.  I’m sure I could come up with a very offensive name for it
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,302 Senior Member
    BTW, Zee- nice cat!  It takes dedication to go hunting in this weather.  It’s frigging hot
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Brined & Seasoned

BTW, Zee- nice cat!  It takes dedication to go hunting in this weather.  It’s frigging hot
    I was in shorts/t-shirt and flip-flops at 1 AM while hunting. 

Yeah. Stupid hot.