Winchester 1873, no calibre marking.

2»

Replies

• das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
    That will be good for the OP👍

With the serial number in the 87000 range, it was made sometime around 1881.

I am just giving a helping hand with an evaluation via photographs/internet.

Due to a death it has been inherited by a non-shooter, which can be a bit problematic over here, unless it can be placed under Section 58. (‘Obsolete Calibre’ or inability to prove)

The main drive is to keep it a shooter and prevent it being deactivated.

Over the years there has been some internet contact with a long standing member on here, who was very helpful at times, now been banned.

That is why you have me. :)

cpj said:
    And if you are talking about the Wanker called Shush,

He is not known by that on the British Armed Forces/Shooting sites I know him from.

When I enquired about the Winchester, he told me to register here and ask.

He said "Good lads, very knowledgeable, keep your head down and you are new, don't lose your arse too easily"

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 4,262 Senior Member
    He has encyclopedic knowledge about many interesting firearms. Not to mention a keen eye for spotting wankers.
    Not to mention a keen eye for spotting wankers.
    That is kind of you.

"Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses......."

So welcoming.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,609 Senior Member
    Please get off the victim train.  You're ignoring the good information posted here to dwell on one or two other posts.  This ain't the Statue of Liberty.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    edited August 2018 #37
    Gene L said:
    Please get off the victim train.  You're ignoring the good information posted here to dwell on one or two other posts.  This ain't the Statue of Liberty.

I have not ignored the very good and sensible feedback.

Have you read the post, I do not have the firearm in my hands.

Why the hostile comments?

I do not understand them at all.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,609 Senior Member
    Join the club and welcome, but don't take everything so seriously.  So far, we've only heard negative comments from you, and if you've acknowledged them before your last post, I missed it.  Please explain, or don't if you choose.  You're not a victim.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 4,262 Senior Member
    das68 said:
    Not to mention a keen eye for spotting wankers.
    That is kind of you.

"Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses......."

So welcoming.

Not directected at you. Shush used that discriptive euphemism repeatedly refering to almost anyone and he possesed a dry humor about it. I thought you might get the reference. No offense intended.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,036 Senior Member
    edited August 2018 #40
    cpj said:
    Hmmm. Might not be him. Still a pity ol Shush is gone. 
    I am too, I liked him, even though sometimes I didn't have a clue what the hell he was talking about. But he committed Forumcide. A Mod tried to warn him about something and he was pretty defiant. I couldn't believe it. I think he might have been into the wanker juice a bit to much. When the mod tells you to stand down and you tell him to just do what he needs to do, wow. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was like going out on the interstate and lying down and saying, "Come on 18 wheelers, see if you can hit me!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Up-date;

It is off the dial now, the owner wants to keep it.

Being a non-shooter (no ticket) he has been advised of the best legal methods available to him.

I think it is lost to deactivation, it's a **** shame, a very interesting piece with a story to tell (history) I bet.

Thank you for your help.

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,973 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear the deal went bad.
    I always approach a deal as it isn't over until I have it home safe & sound. Even then you have people with sellers remorse that want to take it back. I have had people try that little number as long as 5 years later. I very nicely say deal is a deal ..... if that doesn't work then I get ugly.
    Sounds like strange laws where you are. But no gun is worth going to jail over.