100 yards with a 44 special

Elk creekElk creek Senior MemberPosts: 5,725 Senior Member
had a fun day at the range today. I took the 45-70 guide gun out to try some loads. That’s another story. Also took the 5” GP100 44 special of the holster thread..... well 25 yard groupThen for giggles I shot a 50 yard group. Center of the target as point of aim.... 
Fun times!
Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,727 Senior Member
    That's 'minute of thorax' groups! :) Good shootin'!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Nice. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,410 Senior Member
    edited July 2018 #4
    So was it a 100 yrds or 50? Looks good to me either way, but that would be super impressive for 100.

"Then for giggles I shot a 50 yard group. Center of the target as point of aim.... "
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,889 Senior Member
    edited July 2018 #5
    Nice----next time shoot at the bottom of the 8 ring.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,725 Senior Member
    Ok I can’t get the video to load! I went 5 for 5 on a 12” steel plate at 100 yards. 
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,410 Senior Member
    Was just wondering. The title said 100 yrds, but the last pic was at 50. Can't wait for the 100 yrd video.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,657 Senior Member
    Elk creek said:
    Ok I can’t get the video to load! I went 5 for 5 on a 12” steel plate at 100 yards. 
    You'll have to upload it somewhere else (youtube for example) then post a link to it
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,441 Senior Member
    That's good shooting!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,978 Senior Member
    The .44 Special is what gun scribes used to call an inherently accurate cartridge. You do your part and the .44 Spl will do the rest.

Good shootin! 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Elk, check your IMs please
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,525 Senior Member
    Looks good and shoots good.  I will PM you the address to send that gun when you are finished with it. B)
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,232 Senior Member
    I wish I could shoot that good!
    edited July 2018 #14

Video deleted and a better quality uploaded

edited July 2018 #15
    Thanks knitepoet! Well that video quality sucks! It’s much better on my phone. I’ll send you the video again usin email...
    I wish I could shoot that good!
    Practice practice practice! Dry fire!
    Thanks guys it’s a ton of fun!
    Here's the better quality video

Diver43 said:
    Looks good and shoots good.  I will PM you the address to send that gun when you are finished with it. B)
    I might be pretty old..... that gun may be wore out too, but go ahead and send it anyway🤣
    Thanks for uploading that Knitepoet! Thanks for the chat. I’d better get dinner working....
    My pleasure

That little fuzzy dark spot in the video is a 12” steel plate. Turn the sound up! “Ting” and you can hear the report roll up the draw! Love it. 
    It’s been a while since I’ve shot my handguns at distance.  You’ve motivated me to get them on to the rifle range and get some funny looks from folks that think I shouldn’t be there 🤣
    That’s normal though right? I mean really how many guys show up with ascots and  matching lime green argyle socks!
    That’s me! 
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    44 special speed and weights I imagine that was a little like firing a mortar.  One of my fond memories was sitting in a corn field hunting ground hogs and shooting at 200 yard targets with a .380 AMT Backup.  Defineately like firing a mortar.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS said:
    44 special speed and weights I imagine that was a little like firing a mortar.  One of my fond memories was sitting in a corn field hunting ground hogs and shooting at 200 yard targets with a .380 AMT Backup.  Defineately like firing a mortar.

D
    With the loads I was using it was surprisingly easy POI was the dark dot in the center of the plate. I was using Skeeters load. 7.5gr of Unique with a 240 gr cast SWC.