Thinking about this, any opinions? (good or bad)... Armsor TAC Ultra 45 ACP

2»

Replies

• TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    My dad bought a Rock Island 1911. It did have barrel issues. But they took care of it without pause. He likes the pistol and raves about their customer service.
  • GuntGunt Posts: 33 Member
    Thanks 911
    Brooklyn Johnny
    Delta Co. 1/22Inf. 4th Inf. Div.
    6/67 ~ 6/68

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,353 Senior Member
    edited August 2018 #34
    I don't have that model, but I have an RIA Officer's sized pistol that shoots very well indeed. The middle target is 15 yards standing unsupported one 7 round mag. The bottom target is 15 yards rested, one 7 round mag. The top target is 9mm so disregard. 

Edited... The groups were 7 round magazines...but 5 round groups. 

It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,658 Senior Member
    Hey Dan, you putting a tad too much finger in the trigger and pulling them a wee bit left

LOL :D :D :D

AJA, NICE shooting <3 <3
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,353 Senior Member
    Yea, I know. The funny thing is, the shots that hit the bull weren't the first shots, but later in the string. 

It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • Ken_S_LaTransKen_S_LaTrans Posts: 108 Member
    I was an unrepentant gun snob for years.  All my 1911s had to be Colt or Springfield Armory.  A friend picked up a used Rock Island GI for $250 off an ad.  It ran like a freight train with nothing done to it.  He used it in USPSA Single Stack for a whole summer before I put on a beavertail, new sights, trigger, and did a trigger job on it.  then he ran it for another year.  As I recall, the only failures it ever had were 3 or 4 ammo-related ones over a long series of matches.

Since then, I have purchased a 9mm RIA 5" and a 45ACP RIA 5" and built them for carry/match use.  They really are great pistols.  I can't see you not being well served with the one you bought.

IMNSHO
    ONLY THE INFERIOR CRY FOR EQUALITY
    BAMAAK said:
    I have a 10mm similar to Pauls.  I don't have the large lettering on the side, just a small logo at the rear of the slide.  I like those grips myself.  Gives good purchase.  Mine has been very reliable with nothing but reloads shot in it.  Not as accurate as my ruger .45 but that could be me cause well, 10mm.  Welcome aboard.
    My friend purchased one of the 10mm pistols as a field gun when hunting.  He had "decent" accuracy, then he simply had me fit a tighter Wilson bushing and it went from a 6" at 25 yard pistol to a 3.5" at 25 yard pistol.  It was a $30 fix and decreased group size by 40%.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,720 Senior Member
    Welcome, hey 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    I was an unrepentant gun snob for years.  All my 1911s had to be Colt or Springfield Armory.  A friend picked up a used Rock Island GI for $250 off an ad.  It ran like a freight train with nothing done to it.  He used it in USPSA Single Stack for a whole summer before I put on a beavertail, new sights, trigger, and did a trigger job on it.  then he ran it for another year.  As I recall, the only failures it ever had were 3 or 4 ammo-related ones over a long series of matches.

Since then, I have purchased a 9mm RIA 5" and a 45ACP RIA 5" and built them for carry/match use.  They really are great pistols.  I can't see you not being well served with the one you bought.

IMNSHO
    As a (sometimes) gun snob I have to agree with you.  The first time I got to shoot an RIA was a while back and everything I'd read at that time had comments about QC issues like frames not up to mil-specs and a lot of "hand fitted" parts etc.  I think they did have some real issues at their early start with machining etc.  

This gun was purchased by a recently retired Marine (friend of my BIL) on a budget for an EDC and I really thought it was a bad mistake but did not say much.  I had some pretty hard-wired preconceived notions of what I was going to find quality-wise from a gun that back then he paid sub $300 used.  To make it worse it was an Officers size which are usually the worst to keep running right.  We had a couple of fail-to-feed with the first few mags he ran and I was ready to open my big mouth and tell him he'd made a mistake.  Then it occurred to me to take out a few on my mags and try it again.  The next 10 mags ran at a 100% they way God meant 1911s to run, and I was REALLY impressed with the accuracy while the gun was a little rough on the finish it felt solid and tight.

I gifted him a handful of my "good mags" so he could carry it confident that his gun would do it's job if ever needed, and since then I have never had a bad experience with an RIA.  As a matter of fact I was going to buy a 10mm RIA this year but my wife decided to upgrade my budget for me while I was shopping and I ended up with a Dan Wesson instead, which needless to say I'm really happy with.  BUT I know there is an RIA in my future for sure.  I will bump into the right one that just whispers to me to take her home.

Welcome to the forums.
    The reality is, I believe, that Colt and to a lesser extent Springfield, have let QC go down the drain and smaller upstart companies where you wouldn't expect it are coming on really strong with their 1911 offerings.  I have been building them for years and years for competition (I carry a Glock...30 years as a duty gun, and I am not changing) because I have a life long appreciation for the 1911 so I have worked on just about all of them at one time or another so I get to "feel the steel" when the file hits the metal, and the RIA just feels "right".

I was really disappointed in the Remington when it came out.  I was excited at the price point and thought "Remington" will put a really good American made 1911 on the shelf at a decent price...but the first two I worked on were nothing short of horrible.  

2»