What goes up, must come down.

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 8,725 Senior Member
And it came down on my roof.
Having the fascia replaced on my house. at the very peak this was in the roof. Hardly penetrated the shingles. No deformation, just a little tar on a .223 round.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Wow, somebody shootin into the air on the 4th or New Years?

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,940 Senior Member
    Glad it wan't more serious
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

A .270 would have just rolled into the gutters like rain drops.

Laughing Tears animated emoticon

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,757 Senior Member
    I found this lying in a parking lot of a golf driving range around 1995 or so in San Angelo, Texas:

A fired 50BMG slug.  No idea how it got there, but judging by the lack of damage I don’t think it was recovered from a backstop. I think it went over the top of a berm, and ran out of steam in the air. 
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Some guys from a Psyops unit in Baghdad on camp Victory in 04 just down from where I was a few hundred meters came over and asked what a bullet was they found. We told them it was a an expended .50 cal rd. They said it went through the wall of their area and landed on a bat-mitten table they had set up outside adjacent to their hooch.

Things started to get hot and heavy again in 04 and a lot of gunfire near the wall in the fields and they said a Hummer was chasing and firing at insurgents who had been firing mortars into Camp Victory that morning.  
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,341 Senior Member
    Glad that no more damage was done.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,725 Senior Member
    Pretty sure this was fired into the air from quite a ways away. Just the tip was stuck in a shingle at an angle.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    edited July 2018 #9
    The Injins is after yer scalp! Your house built on sacred burial grounds Wambli?
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,180 Senior Member

A few years back I came out of my office to find an arrow stuck in the grass just about 3 feet in front of the driver side door of my car.  It was definitely not there when I had parked that morning.  By the angle and how far it went into the ground I'm glad I was not standing by the door when it went by my car.
    Somebody was bow hunting and got lost. They were firing into the air to let rescuers know their location...........
    :D :D :D
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,807 Senior Member
    One of the coaches at my daughters swim club brought me a 7.62 bullet from an AK they found in the pool .

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    edited July 2018 #12
    cpj said:
    The size of my wife’s butt says  your thread title is false. 
    Dude, you didn't..............yes you did. Hope fer your sake she doesn't read the forum.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,779 Senior Member
    BigDanS said:
    One of the coaches at my daughters swim club brought me a 7.62 bullet from an AK they found in the pool .

Someone threw an AK into the pool?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    edited August 2018 #14
    The more I look at that bullet and how deep you say it penetrated, the more I think that HAD to be a ricochet off another roof before it hit yours.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,725 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    The more I look at that bullet and how deep you say it penetrated, the more I think that HAD to be a ricochet off another roof before it hit yours.
    No telling for sure, but I think it has been there a while. 
    Diver43 said:
    tennmike said:
    No telling for sure, but I think it has been there a while. 
    The reason I say that is that a bullet fired up in the air still has a terminal velocity with enough power to do some damage to whatever it hits.