Last Straw

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,985 Senior Member
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 3,660 Senior Member
    The straw & plastic problem came from a kids research . The pollution is 90% coming from China. I wonder what they will do in hospitals with the straws they need. ( exempt ? )
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    Paper straws suck and metal ones ...................would have to be sterilized. The impact of plastic straws is very very insignificant and the 'Carbon Footprint' of paper/steel is much worse.

Idiotic ban and people can be fined and arrested ............and yep guess what, if their parents get arrested they separate them from the kids............imagine that. 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • GuntGunt Posts: 33 Member
    When does this end?
    Maybe when Trump drains the swamp. 
    Brooklyn Johnny
    Delta Co. 1/22Inf. 4th Inf. Div.
    6/67 ~ 6/68

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,816 Senior Member
    Starbucks is going to paper straws.............................in HUGE individual PLASTIC WRAPPERS YOU COULD MAKE THREE PLASTIC STRAWS FROM! :D :D :D :D :D You can't fix stupid!

The solution is simple, and the laws are already in place. Litter laws have been around for as long as me, and probably longer. Here's how it SHOULD work. Get caught littering on the beach, or ANYWHERE, and go to court and get 30 days sentence picking up litter. That litter would disappear, and people would stop doing it. An unenforced law is no law at all.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,553 Senior Member
    Good grief!

Put the straws in a separate can, like aluminum cans. When you get a couple of tons of them, have them compressed into blocks (like concrete blocks), and stack them up on a vacant lot. People will steal them and use them for building materials. If they throw them into the ocean, big deal - they're just a weird looking rock on the bottom of the ocean.

Or...melt them down and make plastic straws out of them.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,118 Senior Member
    I was "over" paper straws in the 1960s. I'm now "over" straws in general, seldom use them at all anymore.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    What are them icy drinks called.... Slurpees/Big Gulps ............paper straws would suck at sucking them.  
    Slurpees and Icees, both basically frozen shaved ice drinks, REQUIRE a plastic straw to suck up that sugary goodness. And SOUTHERN SWEET TEA just about demands a straw of some sort.

And all y'all that don't like straws have obviously lost touch with your inner child. If you don't find fun in chewing up a paper wad and shooting it out of a straw and smacking someone in the back of the neck with that soggy paper wad then I'd say you've reached old crusty no fun to be around curmudgeon status. :D

If it hadn't been for my shortened and easily concealed 'big bore' assault straw in nuke power classes I'd have gone insane. POPS ear plugs (Synthetic cotton with a plastic cover) soaked in my cup of water was welcome relief. Soak 'em and tear in half, load straw, and smack a classmate in the side of the neck, or splat one on the white board the instructor was writing on at the time. Good times! :)

Oh, I'm a curmudgeon all right - I own it!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba said:
    You are starting mighty young there whippersnapper!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    But but sea turtles get them stuck in their nostrils!  Based on pictures of a single sea turtle with a straw stuck in his nose....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,904 Senior Member
    Plastic are more better for shooting spit balls
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Big Chief said:
    zorba said:
    You are starting mighty young there whippersnapper!
    I remember in 6th grade, we were doing a class play that included a crotchety old man - guess who played him? By unanimous vote.

I just don't tolerate idiocy well, never have.

Bic pens like we used 'Back in the day' were great fer classroom spitballs. Heck we all had paper available and the pens were easily taken apart and put back together fast fer what they call plausible deniability these days. 

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 852 Senior Member
    How are kids supposed to make pea cannons (think spud gun but with a 20oz bottle and straw) without a plastic straw?  

This is one of the dumber things that people have tried to ban.

Jayhawker said:
    But but sea turtles get them stuck in their nostrils!  Based on pictures of a single sea turtle with a straw stuck in his nose....
    That was a California sea turtle, and it was snorting coke. The party got raided, and the turtle tried to make a getaway with the straw still in its nose and the straw got shoved up its nose. Which just goes to prove the point that you shouldn't stick things up your nose, especially if you don't have opposable thumbs to easily extract it. One of the other turtles could have pulled it out, but they were too stoned to really help.

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,010 Senior Member
    Did the Nuns throw chancletas??😎
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    tennmike said:

And all y'all that don't like straws have obviously lost touch with your inner child. If you don't find fun in chewing up a paper wad and shooting it out of a straw and smacking someone in the back of the neck with that soggy paper wad then I'd say you've reached old crusty no fun to be around curmudgeon status. :D

I used to roll my moms sewing pins in chewed up paper napkins to make darts. Many classmates ended up with them firmly stuck on the back of their necks which lead to a school wide ban on straws.  

How I ever survived Catholic school is still beyond my wildest level of comprehension...  🤣
    A friend of mine went to catholic school all his school life until college. He said he still has nightmares about Sister Angela beating him with that paddle. LOL!!! He was friends with one of the priests at the school.and used to complain about her to him. He said all the priest would say is, "My hands are tied. She's been here forever and rules the roost!" LOLOLOL!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited August 2018 #23

I used to roll my moms sewing pins in chewed up paper napkins to make darts. Many classmates ended up with them firmly stuck on the back of their necks which lead to a school wide ban on straws.  

How I ever survived Catholic school is still beyond my wildest level of comprehension...  🤣
    Amateur! :D  You roll small paper cones out of notebook paper to fit the straw bore and use a tiny piece of tape to hold the cone together.. Shove the straight pin from the rear through the pointy end of the paper cone. Very aerodynamic and VERY fast!
    When I was in grammar school (that's grades 1-8 back in ancient times) we did one better. Take a creek cane pole and cut out a section that is slightly smaller in diameter than a dogwood berry. Polish the bore nice 'n' smooth. Take a dogwood limb that is slightly smaller in diameter than the i.d. of the cane section. Square both ends flat. Debark and mark this stick 1" shorter than the cane section. Get a white corn cob and some wood glue. Cut a three inch section off the big end and shave and sand down the corn cob to smooth it out. Drill it completely through lengthwise with a drill same size as your stick. Put glue on the stick and in the corncob and slide the corncob to the previously marked place on the stick. While letting it dry, gather up all the dogwood berries you can find.

Use: Take a dogwood berry and shove it into the end of the cane and push forward until the corn cob handle stops at 'breech' of the cane. Now place another dogwood berry in the 'breech and shove it about 3/4-1" forward. You are now 'locked and loaded'. Hold cane in off hand and smack the end of the corn cob, or just shove the stick forward rapidly by holding the corn cob and sliding the cane section backwards. Also can just shove the cane backwards with the off hand. Air compresses between the two dogwood berries, and the forward berry leaves at great speed. Enough speed to cause bruising and sting like the devil. None of us put an eye out with one, though. Got our 'popgun' confiscated regularly and generally a whoopin', though. Those old biddy school marms didn't have ANY sense of humor!

Back on point.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,282 Senior Member
    Having just spent too much time in a car rolling fat. Straws come in handy. However, the coffee cup lids at the roedside fuel stations have tab slots for spill free drinking that would work just as well for soda.
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,570 Senior Member
    tennmike said:

I was public school grade 1 through 12. I experienced two bad teachers. My female third grade teacher was a young first assignment teacher. She for some reason hated children and was very abusive. Very poor choice! My fifth grade male English teacher was about 5' nothing with "coke bottle glasses". I suspect he was bullied and had his lunch money stolen while in school. He exacted his revenge by bullying 10 year olds. I was once rapped on the knuckles with a ruler for the crime of finishing my current assignment and starting the next assignment in the textbook. My physical punishment was minor compared to others. The "teacher" was gone the next year.  
    sgtrock21 said:

I was public school grade 1 through 12. I experienced two bad teachers.
    Same here. 1st bad teacher was 1st grade. She wasn't mean or anything, but she just wasn't a good teacher.

The other was my Sophomore English Composition teacher. She was the class A1+ bitch from Hell.

Otherwise, I liked all my teachers. I often took from teachers reputed to be "mean", and I liked them because they didn't put up with any crap in their classroom - fine by me!

Meh, thinking of it, my 2nd grade teacher wasn't any prize either - similar to the 1st.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,553 Senior Member
    edited August 2018 #28
    I made one once out of a sheet from one of those big desktop calendars. I straightened out a large paperclip and made a cone for it that fit the 'bore.' It would stick in a concrete block, and it took a pair of pliers to remove it.

We also used Bic pens for shooting spitballs at school. Spit-wads, on the other hand, were big balls of chewed up, spit laden paper that splattered on impact, which made a nice 10" 'snowflake' on a blackboard. They were thrown, and if you had the misfortune to 'wing' a female, they would go berserk, and end up telling the teacher. They thought it was hilarious, until they caught one themselves.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    it makes my head hurt thinking about the very first 911 one to report a fellow citizen seen using a leftover plastic straw, but you know its coming.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.