Home Main Category General Firearms

Ok Enzo...... It's old and broke down

2»

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,671 Senior Member
    Excellent find BTW, I am quite fond of my Browning I picked up earlier this year.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    That is one slick rifle. The  Browning .22 I got to shoot years ago pointed like my finger. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    The Kleenbore is a nice touch! The box and the rifle look prestine!
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Lima, PeruPosts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Very nice Remington!

It's "popular wisdom" that this Browning pattern made by Browning, Remington and FN (Later copied by Norinco) is considered as the finest massive production semiauto .22 ever.

I have a FN-made one; inherited from an uncle who's father bought it brand new, shoot it a few times and due to some failure in the assembly system that no one back then was able to solve, had a lot of cycling issues and ended up storing it for decades with no more use:

Took it apart and found that the circular nut's teeth used for tightening the barrel were damaged probably due to incorrect/clumsy assembly, and also that the tiny spring that is fitted inside a notch of the wood handguard that fixes in place the locking button was missing (Be careful with that spring!), so had to get those replacement parts to allow both sections to properly set tightly against each other so the rifle will fire properly....problems solved!

I strongly suggest avoid taking it apart constantly since the locking system is kinda weak and after a few times you'll need to re-tighten the nut. If you NEED a take-down semiauto rifle, a Ruger 10/22 Take Down model is a much better option due to its price and a lot more robust system (I know since I have both and have been able to compare both at the range & field).

Mine is an open sights rifle, and is surprisingly accurate and reliable even with bulk ammo; tried to fit a scope once but if you rest it against the forward section, no matter how tightly assembled it is,  you'll probably end with a wandering zero since pressure applied in this area "tweaks" the gun a little and wrecks accuracy.

Always wanted to see a Remington one in person, but so far no luck since the few I've seen here were old FNs & Brownings, modern Miroku-made Brownings or a handful of Norinco copies.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,690 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    You are in WI? If so, are you heading further west?

I'll be in Washburn near the end of the month and may make it to Duluth/Superior.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Very thorough Antonio.
    Yours is a beauty.
    I will follow your advice and keep takedown to a minimum.
    Your rear sight has a much longer base. Is it windage adjustable ?
    Mine is not.
    That's the "Old style" or "Wheel" rear sight, dumped around the mid-'50s in favor of a simpler, more conventional one. Pretty much the same as a Marlin 60 rear sight but with a small round washer instead of the stepped strip to adjust height by rotating a numbered dial attached to it.
    It's fit in a dovetailed notch over the barrel so for horizontal adjustment you'll have to tap sideways both sights until you zero it properly, just like in most modern iron sighted rifle.

Seems like Remington chose the conventional rear sight style from the start, unlike FN and Browning.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,671 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    CHIRO1989 said:

I'll be in Washburn near the end of the month and may make it to Duluth/Superior.
    I will be north of Hibbing later in the month if you feel like going another couple hours, no good gun shops up that way except in Grand Rapids, the pawn shop in Hibbing is hit or miss, mostly miss for me, I quit looking there.
    Stop at the Pickwick in Duluth for lunch/dinner, excellent clam chowder and steak sandwiches, if the head cook/manager is there, tell him the younger of his favorite chiropractors sent you.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Looking at the wood on yours
    Antonio. I may attack the one I have.....see if it will shine.
    Original finish on mine; if yours is BLO or similar, I've found after working on the flat, dull stock originally issued in my .22 Zastava Precision Mannlicher, that adding an additional coat of oil while gently sanding the wood (Following the grain) with 2500 sand paper (Pretty much as coarse as cheap toilet paper :D) will give the stock a nice, shiny finish pretty much like the one in my FN.
    Will require lots of patience and elbow grease though...
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,690 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Big Al1 said:
    CHIRO1989 said:

I will be north of Hibbing later in the month if you feel like going another couple hours, no good gun shops up that way except in Grand Rapids, the pawn shop in Hibbing is hit or miss, mostly miss for me, I quit looking there.
    Stop at the Pickwick in Duluth for lunch/dinner, excellent clam chowder and steak sandwiches, if the head cook/manager is there, tell him the younger of his favorite chiropractors sent you.
    Image result for homer thumbs up
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,759 Senior Member
    I've got a Model 25 that is a fine rifle.  Tube magazine.  Very lightweight compared to my Henry pump.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    This is the rear sight Antonio.
    It has height adjustment but pretty sure windage is all front sight.
    Mike she is spiffy/ ship shape now.
    Threw 5 stingers in, not firing,  to test feed and ejection .... smooth.

I read one of those screws actually goes into the barrel.
    Haven't tried either yet in experimental phase.
    I want to try it first as quite a few used guns are dialed right in and I hate to waste ammo..........LOL
    I hope you don't inherit it soon.
    Read about dump shooting rats before must be almost as fun as prarie dogs.
    Weatherby said:
    I want to try it first as quite a few used guns are dialed right in and I hate to waste ammo..........LOL
    Yeah I get it, you have to hoard your money for the next ridiculously good find  :D
    I won't argue that.
    Interested in a K 22 outdoorsman wearing stags ? 
    Weatherby said:
    Weatherby said:
    Yeah I get it, you have to hoard your money for the next ridiculously good find  :D
    I won't argue that.
    You always do this to me when my gun find is in the red!!!!!  I just found one of my Grail guns and trying to work it out.  If it falls through I'll give you a call for sure.

It was 800 with the stags they are pre war service style.
    I'm broke too
    Weatherby said:
    Weatherby said:
    Weatherby said:
    I won't argue that.
    You always do this to me when my gun find is in the red!!!!!  I just found one of my Grail guns and trying to work it out.  If it falls through I'll give you a call for sure.

It was 800 with the stags they are pre war service style.
    I'm broke too
    You are killing me...😭

After our PM I'm not posting a picture.......".that" would be cruel.
    The gun does have you written all over it though...........it's styling
    Brought it out in the woods to function test. Loaded 10 Winchester T22's  in it she just chewed em up and spit em out.  
    The  Action is pretty clackity.
    All were nicey centered windage wise. The elevation is very close may adjust a bit after checking from a range.
    Your rear sight seems to have a system like the one in the Winchester 1906.....you loose the screw and it can be mover sideways in the dovetail cut to adjust windage.

Glad to know it worked OK with the T-22s since some semiauto rifles can have cycling issues with the standard/subsonic velocity ammo. Remember it usually has a lower POI than HV so be sure to set it to what you'll be using regularly in it.
    I think this ones old enough it was mainly meant to shoot standard velocity lead. That's all I intend to run through it if function stays good.
    SV is scarce/expensive down here, so at least my SA-22 only sees bulk HV. Fortunately it's in almost mint condition since as I stated above, failures to work properly made the original owners to store it after a few shots back in the time when it was brand new.

Anyway, seldom shot it since I already have my 10/22 TD to scratch the semiauto plinking itch; once this year so far in a silhouettes match where despite the difficulty to reload the rather odd rear tubular system, it secured me a podium spot thanks to its excellent accuracy. Only have to remember the bottom ejection that might be bothersome in some situations, and not to apply excessive pressure when grabbing the handguard.