Home Main Category Personal Defense

What do you think the national mood will be as 12/21/12 approaches?

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,096 Senior Member
I can see some people stocking up on supplies, generators, ammo etc like they did prior to Y2K.
Other than the hysteria, I don't expect anything else to happen. I won't be surprised to hear of an increase in individual suicides, and maybe a few cult mass suicides.

Do you have any preparations, or plan on making any between now and then?
Can't say as I do, nor do I plan on making any.
My "normal stock" should be plenty, though I might make sure the spare gas cans are full just in case.

How about you?
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    Is that the Inca countdown day?

Wake me up on Dec. 13.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    you mean the 22nd?
    and that's the last day on the Mayan long count calendar
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    Whatever. What happens Dec. 12?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,926 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    How about you?
    They need to put it off for a couple of days...I will be hung over from my 61st Birthday for a spell...
    All our preparations are pretty much made...got some food, guns, plenty of ammo, a generator, saddle horses. a bunch of toilet paper...neighbor down the way has a still...what more could you need...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I call my mom and wish her a happy birthday :roll2:

Jayhawker wrote: »
    They need to put it off for a couple of days...I will be hung over from my 61st Birthday for a spell...
    All our preparations are pretty much made...got some food, guns, plenty of ammo, a generator, saddle horses. a bunch of toilet paper...neighbor down the way has a still...what more could you need...
    Sounds like you've got it pretty well covered :worthy:
    The hay burners and still are the only two on your list I'm lacking :tissue:

• QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    I'm gonna get some popcorn and watch the world burn! No seriously though I'll just sit on my couch and watch tv like I did during Y2K.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Hmmmm- - - - -that will be about a month after the election. If the dummycraps figure a way to lie, cheat, and steal their way back into power, we'll be so busy lynching congress critters we won't even notice the date. Maybe it's only going to be the end of the world for a bunch of politicians!
    Jerry
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    I've got new batteries in my Sub-etha Sens-O-Matic just in case.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,742 Senior Member
    There will be the people who prepare and worry, and the people that make sure everyone else knows that they're SOOOO cool because they didn't prepare and aren't worried :jester:

Seriously though.

I don't predict widespread panic in the way of riots in the street, etc... Probably more along the lines of parties, some stocking of supplies, etc.

I will probably stock up on SOME stuff in anticipation of not being able to get it when everyone rushes to go buy it.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    On the other hand, I DO believe we're going to see some weird stuff....Remember the Hale-Bopp Comet? Y2K?....
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    Everyone knows the world will end Dec. 2015. That's when the "future planning" section in my Franklin-Covey calendar ends.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    After Y2K and the recent "rapture" predictions went south, I actually think that people will be less panicky. There will of course be the "sucker born every minute" who will stock up on apocalypse food supplies and such. Smart businessmen are already charging huge fees to build and sell these "fallout shelter" type hideaways.

There will of course be plenty of Nostradamus-type shows on the history channel and such, and when the time arrives I'm sure there will be various sorts of minor scurrying for last minute supplies, like beer. Dec 22 is on a Saturday so it coming then will relieve a bit of the traffic and other tension. I'm hoping for some nice "end of the world" parties to enjoy.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I had to check and the 21st falls on a Friday and it's during the deer season. Every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday during the deer season I'm up in a remote part of central Alabama with my phone turned off. I'll just read about what happened in the paper after I get home.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    samzhere wrote: »
    Smart businessmen are already charging huge fees to build and sell these "fallout shelter" type hideaways.

I recently saw a guy hawking a sort of luxury resort/hideaway for survivalists...selling "time shares" for the place at really outrageous prices...In retrospect, it would really suck to wrap all that cash in a "retreat" and then have the balloon go up when it's not your turn...
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,153 Senior Member
    Same thing that always happens. The true believer's get Rapture'd to heaven, and none of us notice either of them missing.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    I don't think the mood will be as bad......as when Nov. 6 2012 gets here...............Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    I always have plenty of food and emergency stores on hand. Ammo and implements of destruction are covered, too. Electric power is kind of iffy in the winter, but I have a propane stove and plenty of fuel, and propane and kerosene lanterns. Guess I'll just make sure I have a couple of bottles of good rum on hand. My cousin, Alfred, and I can drink it and sing "What Do You Do With a Drunken Sailor", and repel all boarders.
    Here's a picture of my cousin, Alfred.
    alfred_e_neuman.jpg
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    I used to read the comic he was in, what is his name again?

P.S Sad Sack?

Sorry for the detour.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I do believe that's Alfred E Newmann
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    shush wrote: »
    what is his name again?

Alfred E. Neuman...Mad Magazine...
    That's it. MAD mag. I remember now, long time ago.
    Thank you.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,495 Senior Member
    Nothing different.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    The least I can do is give you guys a 'heads up' 24hrs before it happens.

..........Thats provided I am still in a fit state to drive my computer cos I intend to finish the last barrels of 70 yr old port prior to that........I mean, wouldnt it be a terrible waste if the world ended and it got destroyed in the explosion!!

Open invitation to the 'Count Down' party at my place to all members.....
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    Is that the calendar carved in a flat circular stone that is on display at Mexico's Museum of Anthropology, maybe that was the largest stone they could find and they just ran out of space...?
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member

My dad turns 50 years old.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    I'm really not going to be concerned unless the Chicago Cubs start having a VERY good year. Even if they make it to the playoffs, I won't be TOO worried. If they make it PAST the playoffs START TAKING NOTE! If they actually WIN the World Series in October, that's going to be my sign that December 21 will probably be a very bad day.

I think this is the first year since about 1979 that I've wanted the Cubs to have their typical year.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    bruchi wrote: »
    Is that the calendar carved in a flat circular stone that is on display at Mexico's Museum of Anthropology, maybe that was the largest stone they could find and they just ran out of space...?

truth-about-2012-mayan-calander.gif

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
  • temmitemmi Member Posts: 230 Member
    If the press hypes it up folk some folks will get jittery.

If the world will end it will end... why worry about it?
    Have a business plan along these lines sitting in my back pocket, think it would probably be pretty profitable, but given that I've currently got a well paying and fairly stable job and not enough free time to build a new business on the side so it's gathering dust for now. Would be a perfect time to launch it though.

Not expecting much mythical or crazy to happen in 2012, but there are a few grey swans floating out there that could cause some major problems including the Euro crisis and Iran.

Euro crisis?:silly:
    What Euro crisis?:silly:
    There is a crisis over that Monopoly Money?:deadhorse: