What's A Good Distance To Pratice Shooting ???

Replies

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 2,174 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I love a challenge. Nothing to do with Gene. I don’t care if he can. I wanted to know if I could. 

Yep. 

All those who doubt themselves......all you gotta do is get out there and do it.  It can be done. And you can do it.  

Unless you're "Tex" then you might shoot yourself in the leg! :D

Beware of false knowledge -- it is often more dangerous than ignorance.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,612 Senior Member

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,662 Senior Member
    edited September 2018 #64
    Looking forward to your test data

Damn fast time with no practice
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,845 Senior Member
    Didn't see the video, but have been to the range with you in the past.
    I don't want to be on the other side of a gunfight with you
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

edited September 2018 #66
    Always improving .  As should we all. 

😉
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,043 Senior Member
    Thanks for read guys.  Thinking about reaction time, made me think about a first time experience that happened around a number of people.
    The only thing I have done fast recently, was to come very close to dropping/hitting a guy at a restaurant several Saturdays ago.  No timer, but my world went from relaxed/enjoyable to action when someone was touching/tugging where my 43 was.  I shocked the manager (who is a friend) as i was paying for our breakfast at our local Perkins at the front counter.  Ironically, we were chatting about his most recent gun purchase when all of this happened.
    I responded the way I thought I would, with the exception of tunnel vision.
    I also noted a day later that it took me awhile to let go of him and drop my fist, once I recognized he was a friend.
    He is a bit of prankster, but he had no idea there was a handgun there.  I doubt he will repeat his antics in the future.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Never say never....................... 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    I'll be at the range a week from today.  I'll see how much slower I am....  :D
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,845 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    A bunch????
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,600 Senior Member
    Im not going to try it when I go to the range. Between Tex and Kermit, I'll just focus on being deliberate.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,662 Senior Member
    I am going to try it next time i go south to the non nazi run outdoor range. Doubt i will post my embarrassing time
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 2,174 Senior Member
    Im not going to try it when I go to the range. Between Tex and Kermit, I'll just focus on being deliberate.
    You're not as fast as Tex but you'll be a lot less perforated! :D
    Beware of false knowledge -- it is often more dangerous than ignorance.
    knitepoet said:
    Jay said:
    A bunch????
    I SHOULD be close. But, it’ll be with a level 3 thigh rig... So I’m guessing a bit slower. Only one way to find out. 
    Tear it up, TURBO!!
    I will say, as originally posted, I was thinking fully extended, one handed at 6’. While we know that index shooting at 6’ works and is logical, it wasn’t specified when the drill was originally described. It’s possible I misunderstood that originally. Since a fully extended, one handed draw is really not much faster than two handed when using a good draw motion, and index position makes sense at that distance, seems logical. 
    edited September 2018 #77
    I plan to compare the two against a timer on Friday.  

6’
    5 Shots
    Index vs Aimed

Just because I want to know the difference in what I can do. I expect the Index to be faster. I just want to know by how much. In regards to me. 
    You must have espn...  ;)
    Yes
    👍🏻
    edited September 2018 #81
    Videos for proof were sent to Chris, Jerm, JBOhio. 

6'
    HK P2000
    No Retention 
    Hands Front
    1st Shot .62
    5 Shots 1.34

6'
    HK P2000
    No Retention
    Hands Below Holster
    1st Shot .68
    5 Shots 1.37

6'
    HK P2000
    No Retention
    Position 4 (All the way out)
    Hands Front
    1st Shot .69
    5 Shots 1.39

It’s a theoretical wash for me. Hands front, hands side, both within a few 100ths of a second. 

Suprisingly, index shooting and pushing the gun out to Position 4 were also within a few 100ths of each other. Don’t know what I expected, but I expected a little more. 

I will say the accuracy is better from Position 4. But, not enough to write home about. Difference being, from index, I was “hoping” I’d hit the target with all 5. From Position 4, I “knew” I would. For whatever that is worth. 

I used my HK today and I think that was a mistake. I hate the trigger and feel I would have been a little faster with a Glock. 
    I didn't expect that there would be much difference between shooting at 2 or 4, but I didn't know you would be that close between the two.  Excellent work.  A fully extended 2 hand grip shouldn't really take any longer either, since you're just picking up the support hand at 3 on the way out.  
    Jay said:
    I didn't expect that there would be much difference between shooting at 2 or 4, but I didn't know you would be that close between the two.  Excellent work.  A fully extended 2 hand grip shouldn't really take any longer either, since you're just picking up the support hand at 3 on the way out.  
    It’s funny, watching the video in slow motion, I fire the first shot just shy of full extension at Point 4. Then the rest were at full extension. 

But, that’s point shooting. I knew the sights were on target as I was looking at the target. But, I didn’t need to focus on them to know that. 
    Zee said:
    Jay said:
    It’s funny, watching the video in slow motion, I fire the first shot just shy of full extension at Point 4. Then the rest were at full extension. 

But, that’s point shooting. I knew the sights were on target as I was looking at the target. But, I didn’t need to focus on them to know that. 
    I do that a lot.  Which is why I believe the difference between index and fully extended was so small for you.  Shooting at index, you can't do anything with the trigger until you get to two.  Shooting at full extension, you can start the trigger press on the way to the target and get the first round on target just before full extension.

In a course I went to recently, I missed reaching the highest level of achievement for the course doing that.  I had just completed an empty gun reload, dropped the slide on the way up and fired the first round just before full extension.  While a perfectly acceptable center mass hit, it was a few 16ths above the score line, which was a 2 second penalty.  I missed being in the highest score bracket by .7 sec.  Speed vs accuracy.  I can definitely always improve.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Impressive.  When I shoot IDPA, the SOs time me with a calendar...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,233 Senior Member
    I only shot five times because the pepper-popper fell at five.  Also, I think my overall total time would have been less (not first shot time) because I was dealing with greater recoil with the .45. The Askins Avenger had no retention on it except a fairly tight fit.  It does have a hammer tab for retention, but of course it wasn't engaged.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Gene L said:
    I only shot five times because the pepper-popper fell at five.  Also, I think my overall total time would have been less (not first shot time) because I was dealing with greater recoil with the .45. The Askins Avenger had no retention on it except a fairly tight fit.  It does have a hammer tab for retention, but of course it wasn't engaged.
    Correction: I feel my overall time was GREATER because I was shooting a .45.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    I’ll break out the .45 ACP, next. 

Cause........I gotta know. 

😁
    I traced the gun in the holster with my drawing hand and at the tone, went up with my trigger finger locating my hand for me, if that makes sense.  I came down firmly with the web of my hand on the grip safety, and fired (I think) on the way to extension.  By the time I got to three or four, I was fully extended.  I've never tried it with anything but a 1911.  Which I had not practiced speed drawing with, actually.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,837 Senior Member
    How about the same drill from concealment? It would be interesting to see the difference with a world class shooter.
    My early training was FBI training which was all that was available at the time where I went to the basic course.  Naturally, it was Uniformed training, with six rounds fired at 50 yards from the prone.  At any event, at some point I was instructed the FBI draw, predicated on wearing an FBI suit jacket.  You were instructed to sweep the jacket aside with your strong hand, draw the revolver, and hold your weak palm of your off hand in front of your chest ???? and fire.  Very strange, but that was 50 years ago. Maybe it was to get your body aligned or from other FBI reason.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06