Suggestions to keep deer out of the hog corn????

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 17,893 Senior Member
I should have the depredation permit for hogs in hand by this weekend. Game cams are showing quite a few hogs coming to the corn I have out.
The problem is, so are quite a few deer. A bachelor group of 3 bucks (8, 6 &4pt) at one field and the random doe at the other.

So, anyone have any suggestions on how to make the corn less attractive to the deer, while still attractive to the hogs???

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,008 Senior Member
    Post a sign?

No deer allowed.

😄
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,574 Senior Member
    I’ve heard somewhere, and honestly sounded like bull **** to me....pour diesel fuel over it. Hogs will eat it, deer won’t. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    Google says it’s a thing. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Zee
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,982 Senior Member
    Now that's a technique that I never would've guessed.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,893 Senior Member
    I've heard of it before, still not sure if I believe it or not.

Have also heard of taking post hole diggers and digging a narrow but deep hole, supposedly the hogs will root down to it, and the deer won't? IDK if that's a thing or not either
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,352 Senior Member
    I'd like to keep the squirrels and coons out of my deer corn fields. :D

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,790 Senior Member
    I used to ferment corn in diesel fuel for several days. Then bait my multiple hog traps. 

Caught a butt load of pigs. Never caught a deer. And the doors were big enough for deer as well. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,008 Senior Member
    These animals are frightening. 🐷
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,407 Senior Member
    Assuming these hogs will not be eaten, no?  Other wise would feeding them corn laced with diesel be Ok?
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    edited August 7 #12
    1) That's undecided at this point, leaning towards not

2) No clue

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,777 Senior Member
    The problem is typically the other way around.
    I wouldn't worry about it.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

And NORMALLY it would be for me too. (Except that baiting deer is illegal in this state) However the depredation permit, that's valid until 1 week before gun season for deer opens, changes things drastically

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,312 Senior Member
    To my understanding,( and I hunt in Crenshaw county Alabama) you can feed/bait deer all you want, you just can't hunt over it. Stop putting corn out before the season opens. I've also eaten quite a few hogs that I shot on my lease from 10lbs to 145lbs and they taste like store bought pork to me other than being a little tougher once they get over 100lbs or so. Why waste food?
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    To my understanding,( and I hunt in Crenshaw county Alabama) you can feed/bait deer all you want, you just can't hunt over it. Stop putting corn out before the season opens. I've also eaten quite a few hogs that I shot on my lease from 10lbs to 145lbs and they taste like store bought pork to me other than being a little tougher once they get over 100lbs or so. Why waste food?
    Corn fed deer is good eats.  I'd just put out enough to keep all the critters fat and then go meat shopping...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,790 Senior Member
    Assuming these hogs will not be eaten, no?  Other wise would feeding them corn laced with diesel be Ok?
    I ate them. 

Maybe that’s what is wrong with me. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,705 Senior Member
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    One other reason for keeping the deer out of it,
    In actuality, corn's not that good for deer. The bags i'm buying say 6% crude protein, deer need 2-3x that amount to be healthy according to to biologists I've spoken with

Zee said:
    I ate them. 

There’s plenty wrong with you, it ain’t the diesel. 

Zee
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,777 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:

And NORMALLY it would be for me too. (Except that baiting deer is illegal in this state) However the depredation permit, that's valid until 1 week before gun season for deer opens, changes things drastically
    Let them eat it!
    You are baiting hogs, whoever else shows up is not your problem
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Let them eat it!
    You are baiting hogs, whoever else shows up is not your problem
    Probably what I'm going to have to do, but being the penny pincher that I am, it hurts my feelings

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,541 Senior Member
    edited August 7 #23
    Dont know if it would work but maybe build a roof at the height of a pigs shoulder and wide enough so the deer cant stretch their heads underneath it. Four posts, a frame and a couple of sheets of roofing iron would probably do.
    The pigs will walk under it to get the feed but the deer wont be able to reach it.
    Cut a hole in the centre so you can drop the food in........If it works, put skids on it so you can move it around to different locations....

The bonus would be that you can leave it 'working' during deer season and it may prove you are not baiting for deer.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Zee said:
    I ate them. 

Hummmm maybe... 🤪

knitepoet said:
    In actuality, corn's not that good for deer. The bags i'm buying say 6% crude protein, deer need 2-3x that amount to be healthy according to to biologists I've spoken with
    We used to open bags of corn for the deer in our property so they could survive the winter in better shape.  It’s like candy for a human.  It won’t help with putting on muscle but it does help them put on fat for the winter and just like with cattle, I think it makes the meat taste better.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,293 Senior Member
    Electric fence will work for a week of so.

Alec's idea the best 
    This message has been deleted
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,703 Senior Member
    Inside a circle, draw a picture of a deer and put a slash across it. 

GA made it legal to hunt over bait this year.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    "Supplemental feeding" is legal here, but there are set guidelines between "feeding" and  "baiting"

Here's the langauge, as published by the state in the '18-'19 regs magazine

The“Area Definition” is still in effect. Regulation 220-2-
    .157, “as it applies to the hunting of deer and feral
    swine, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that
    any bait or feed located beyond 100 yards from the
    hunter and not within the line of sight of the hunter,
    is not a lure, attraction, or enticement to, on, or over
    the area where the hunter is attempting to kill or
    take the deer or feral swine. “Not within the line
    of sight” means being hidden from view by natural
    vegetation or naturally occurring terrain features.”

knitepoet said:

Could you list or link the biologists that you've spoken with? Everything that I've researched stated no such thing. A high protein level is required for antler growth but corn is not at all detrimental to a deers health, it just makes  for small racks.
    First, NOWHERE did I say it was "detrimental"

Second, You have internet access, GOOGLE is your friend.

Though it's none of you're '**ing business who I spoke with, I spoke to the state district 3 biologist and his boss in Montgomery

Proof google is your friend...
    Protein recycling allows deer to use sub-16-percent protein food items, such as those in the 8-10 percent range, but their body can break them down and re-combine them, more or less. This process takes additional energy however, so although deer are surviving they are not thriving. This will keep them alive and breathing, but do not expect a bumper crop of antlers, fawns and otherwise healthy deer.

knitepoet said:
    First, NOWHERE did I say it was "detrimental"

Second, You have internet access, GOOGLE is your friend.

Though it's none of you're '**ing business who I spoke with, I spoke to the state district 3 biologist and his boss in Montgomery

Proof google is your friend...
    Protein recycling allows deer to use sub-16-percent protein food items, such as those in the 8-10 percent range, but their body can break them down and re-combine them, more or less. This process takes additional energy however, so although deer are surviving they are not thriving. This will keep them alive and breathing, but do not expect a bumper crop of antlers, fawns and otherwise healthy deer.

What has me confused is that South Central Alabama is supposed to have the highest population of deer in the state of Alabama and the area is primarily timberland and cotton and a little bit of peanuts fill in the cracks. The protein level of timberland forage is in the two to five percent range so according to your statements, deer should be extinct in South Central Alabama.