Not sharing a shooting house with these...

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 17,559 Senior Member

I edited these 2 pics and flipped them right side up, not sure why they're still inverted.

First pic, I used all of the partial can of wasp spray I had in my truck on them.

Went in to check and make sure they were all dead, saw the second pic in the opposite corner.

Being out of wasp spray when I found them, they get a pass until my next trip up in the next day or two.
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,167 Senior Member
    That was very common in Louisiana. On the leases I belonged to, a trio of us would go out a week before the first official"All Members" work day just to get rid of wasp nests. We usually started while the morning was "cool", usually finished by 9AM, then drank beer and grilled the rest of the day. Once, on opening morning, I had something somewhat heavy drop onto my left shoulder, and I thought "Crap....wasp nest!!!" No...it was a flying squirrel, that proceeded to crawl all over me for a couple of minutes. That was pretty cool, and he hung around for a few weeks.
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,483 Senior Member
    Not exactly cute and cuddly are they?

You guys got serious wasps down there compared to the little buggers we got here. Those nests are big.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,559 Senior Member
    edited August 7 #4
    Yep, those red wasps are 1.25-1.5" long and normally have a bad attitude
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Not exactly cute and cuddly are they?

You guys got serious wasps down there compared to the little buggers we got here. Those nests are big.
    The ones we have here in Colorado are wooseys. Not only have I not been stung by one, I've never even been chased by one. The ones KP posted will attack you if you pass within 10 feet, call all their reinforcements, and chase you for a couple hundred yards, while doing their best to put you in the ER. Red wasps raised in the South are the worst. Mike
    KSU Firefighter
    I've sprayed red wasp nests that were 18" in diameter.
    KSU Firefighter
    From  SouthernLiving.com

Red paper wasps tend to be more aggressive than other species of paper wasps, and the females of the species are the ones that sting.

I've sprayed red wasp nests that were 18" in diameter.
    That top one's close

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,695 Senior Member
    Screw spray.  You need a flash bang grenade!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,237 Senior Member
    If I'm out of wasp spray i find break or carb cleaner, is almost as effective.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    jaywapti said:
    If I'm out of wasp spray i find break or carb cleaner, is almost as effective.

JAY
    Didn't have any of that in my truck either

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,586 Senior Member
    I tried carb cleaner on a small nest - seemed to be MORE effective than wasp spray. DRT.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,985 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    I tried carb cleaner on a small nest - seemed to be MORE effective than wasp spray. DRT.
    Yes. HANDS DOWN faster that the “proper” wasp spray. Surprised the hell out of me, to be honest. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,305 Senior Member
    Wasps, mice and snakes are the most common squatters we get in the hunting blinds here.  All 3 get terminally evacuated.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,070 Senior Member
    edited August 8 #15
    Here's a tip for using store-bought wasp spray. Get up at daylight and spray them before the temp passes about 75 degrees. It will actually kill them at lower temperatures. If you wait till the temp gets past 90, you better run when your can goes dry (about 10 seconds). Wait till it's 100 degrees, and you will think they are on steroids and meth.

The last time I tried spraying them on an August afternoon, I had to take refuge in my vehicle for 30 minutes. I haven't tried brake cleaner, but Aqua Net hair spray (hair glue from the 60's) does better than store-bought insecticide.
  • Ken_S_LaTransKen_S_LaTrans Posts: 63 Member
    Brake Parts cleaner works like a WMD on them.  I had a nest in my reloading room a couple of years ago and used some of the Wally Works Super Tech on them.  Instant death.  We've had an issue with Africanized bees here in AZ also, and our exterminator told me that it's what he uses on swarms.  He also says it's good for spiders.
    ONLY THE INFERIOR CRY FOR EQUALITY
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,327 Senior Member
    I had a few smaller nests here & I always use WD40 . Seems to work really well no matter the temp. Only draw back is you have to get closer than the wasp spray cans. Once the nest is soaked they don't seem to try to rebuild there.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,817 Senior Member
    edited August 8 #18
    Had one land on my eyelid as i was spraying wasp spray into my stand last fall, only stung my once on the eyebrow while clinging to me, I launched off the top step on my stand straight backwards fearing for my eyesight, screaming like a little girl and cussing like a sailor, made my friend and my dad laugh once i stood up and continued cussing. I waited until a couple hard frosts past after that and they were done then.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,066 Senior Member
     Wambli Ska said:

BT, DT..

Years ago we were doing some training in an old, abandoned amusement park.  Instructor had us go into a metal building.  No electricity, so it was dark in there.  He had us all get into a circle and tossed a flash bang into the middle of the circle.  That's when the fun started...  Luckily, I was one of the ones closest to the door and made it out without getting stung.  We played outside the rest of the day.

edited August 8 #20

I hate wasps with a passion.  I will kill every one of them I see, if I can.  Brake cleaner, carb cleaner, wasp spray.  Whatever I have on hand.  One of their favorite places to build a nest out here is inside a pipe fence or gate.  It's a big surprise when you go to open a gate and have a bunch of PO'd wasps start coming out of it.  For that exact reason, I hate fences and gates that aren't completely sealed.  I have about 400 yards of pipe fence along the front of my property.  There is only one hole in the entire fence big enough for a wasp to get in, and that's the hole the gate latch goes into.  And, every year wasps get in there.  Have to wait till they're all in there in the evening, cover the hole with duct tape and leave it sealed for a few days till they all die.

At least the wasps out here aren't generally very aggressive.  You have to really make them mad to get them to chase you and even then they'll usually give up pretty quick.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member

Cheap hair spray works well, but it's more effective if it's combined with a BIC lighter.  There's something about a 3 foot diameter fireball that takes the "fly" out of flying insects in a hurry.  Once they're reduced to being crawling critters, doing a flamenco dance on them is very satisfying revenge!

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,586 Senior Member
    edited August 8 #22
    Just remember that flamenco dancers ALWAYS wear shoes! This isn't the place to dance barefoot...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member

Original formula Right Guard deodorant also makes a good flame thrower, but the fumes it generates when it burns would choke a horse!

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,985 Senior Member
    Carb cleaner with the straw attached is MUCH better than hairspray when you add a lighter. You can have a flame thrower. Shoots 7-8 feet. Burns the wings right off carpenter bees. 😬
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,883 Senior Member
    Jay said:
     Wambli Ska said:

BT, DT..

Years ago we were doing some training in an old, abandoned amusement park.  Instructor had us go into a metal building.  No electricity, so it was dark in there.  He had us all get into a circle and tossed a flash bang into the middle of the circle.  That's when the fun started...  Luckily, I was one of the ones closest to the door and made it out without getting stung.  We played outside the rest of the day.

@Jay,  Was that Magic Landing?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I believe it was.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,212 Senior Member
    edited August 8 #27
    We've had an influx of bald-faced hornets in PA recently. Angry little bastards!!!! And they are able to keep stinging.

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,472 Senior Member
    Whatever you do Paul, dont shoot the nest with a 12g. It really pisses them off.

Will tell you about it one day ..........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 275 Member
    Around my house I have the occasional Mud Dauber and Cicada Killer to deal with, but they really just leave people alone for the most part.  I have however been waging a 2 week war on a ground nesting hornet nest.  Its in the tall stuff behind the garage and I cant find the nest opening.  I discovered there was a nest while felling the forest behind the garage and noticed a lot of sudden hornet activity around one area.  I dont do well with hornet and wasp stings (been at least a couple decades since my last actual bee sting, so I dont know what reaction I will have to them) and I boogied out of the area before they figured out I was the invader of their territory.  Hosing down the area with foaming killer has done a number on the nest, but they are still there somewhere.
    Jay said:
     Wambli Ska said:

BT, DT..

As soon as I posted this I KNEW someone here had tried it... 🤣🤣🤣
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    And by the way as I read all the suggestions on how to deal with these I remember why I worry about some of you... 🤪