Headed out for our first night hunt for hogs

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,224 Senior Member
edited August 12 in Hunting #1
External batteries for the NV are charged, Fresh batteries in both scopes, in case the externals get disconnected, mags are loaded (wife and I are both using ARs, her 300BO, me 5.56) and have fresh batteries in both IR illuminators.

Been seeing more hogs on my game camera in the field she'll be hunting over, but seeing a larger boar, less frequently, on the cam watching the field I'll be hunting.

Hopefully, in a few hours I'll have some pictures and scope videos to post up.

Wish us luck
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,494 Senior Member
    If you wish upon a falling star just before shooting a hog its good luck.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,258 Senior Member
    Good Luck
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 28,144 Senior Member
    edited August 12 #4
    Best of luck amigo!  Slay them  piglets!!!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,285 Senior Member
    Kool, dude. Hog hunting during the best meteor shower of the decade has to be a thing to remember. Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 18,004 Senior Member
    Cool!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,603 Senior Member
    Good luck Paul. And stay safe.
    Just remember the unwritten rule., If you wound a large hog, dont go hunting for it in the dark.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,224 Senior Member
    Well, they came out for the wife, of course technical difficulties got in the way.  the cord for her external battery pack won't make contact on her scope for some reason, but will mine. And without the external, her batteries died at the worst possible time..
    Ahhh the learning curve of new tech toys
    I watched a raccoon, it wass all I saw.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

edited August 12 #9
    orchidman said:
    Just remember the unwritten rule., If you wound a large hog, dont go hunting for it in the dark.
    Alec, this time of year, if they make it off the field, I won't be trying to track it

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,117 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    orchidman said:
    Alec, this time of year, if they make it off the field, I won't be trying to track it
    It’s worth the track!!!  Better tasting than deer any day!!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    It’s worth the track!!!  Better tasting than deer any day!!!
    Not happening.
    These woods and I have a history, with all the buried stump holes, snakes etc, not happening at all.
    2 shoulder surgeries, 2 partially torn Achilles tendons.

Plan was/is head shoot the first one to drop it in the field, and then get lead in as many of the others as possible.

And I've had wild hog, not terribly impressed. The one that gets head shot will end up ground and mixed with venison, seasoned, cured and turned into smoked summer sausage

edited August 12 #12
    Well, whoever cooked it sucked. 

Cause it beats whitetail hands down. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,258 Senior Member
    edited August 12 #13
    knitepoet said:
    Well, they came out for the wife, of course technical difficulties got in the way.  the cord for her external battery pack won't make contact on her scope for some reason, but will mine. And without the external, her batteries died at the worst possible time..
    Ahhh the learning curve of new tech toys

First time I went hog hunting in Florida, that is all I saw also.

Not sure how that scope or external power works, but am sure you will work it out before the next knitehunt.

I am with Z on the meat. While the one I shot was large, even the meat we didn't turn into sausage was good.  Guy told me that getting it cut up quickly and on ice kept it tasting good.  Good luck with the next one
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,280 Senior Member
    Hey, at least you were out hunting, and Mr. Racoon sounded like a volunteer to check your scopes zero at night in the field.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,285 Senior Member
    I've had mixed results eating feral hog. Some was great, some pretty funky. Seems to depend on the individual hog.
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    edited August 12 #16
    Well, I may have created a monster... B)

Wife said she initially went along with purchasing the NV because she knows I've been wanting/trying to kill a feral hog for over 8 years.

Now that we have the technical difficulties are straightened out, she's contemplating taking a half of a day off tomorrow so she can go with me tonight too. (She gets up @ 0400 to go to work)

We shall see. I suspect one of us will get a shot at a hog tonight

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 24,220 Senior Member
    Sows and young pigs are fine eating. The boars have a pretty strong taste to them compared to the sows. Kind of like a buck all pumped up on hormones and testosterone during the rut has a strong taste to it. No different from an old boar domestic pig in that respect. They have a strong taste to them, too. Marinading the meat in milk, buttermilk, or vinegar and water improved the taste of boar hogs considerably. There are plenty of new marinades out there for wild meats. Try them out and see what works for you.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

Zee said:
    Well, whoever cooked it sucked. 

Cause it beats whitetail hands down. 
    I agree with this statement.  I’ll eat wild pig anytime over venison.  I like venison but hog beats it without a doubt.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    edited August 12 #19
    tennmike said:
    Sows and young pigs are fine eating. The boars have a pretty strong taste to them compared to the sows. Kind of like a buck all pumped up on hormones and testosterone during the rut has a strong taste to it. No different from an old boar domestic pig in that respect. They have a strong taste to them, too. Marinading the meat in milk, buttermilk, or vinegar and water improved the taste of boar hogs considerably. There are plenty of new marinades out there for wild meats. Try them out and see what works for you.
    What most folks call a strong taste I just call pig taste.  Growing up on an island I grew up on local farm or backyard raised pigs.  None of them got castrated and the meat had a definite strong taste to it.  When I first came to the US someone had to tell me I was eating pork when I first had the supermarket variety, because it didn’t taste like much of anything to me.  When I eat wild hog it tastes like home to me.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 18,004 Senior Member
    This is an interesting conversation. I've never had wild hog - I'm going to have to try it as I've always disliked (regular) pork - has all the taste of cardboard...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,266 Senior Member
    I've eaten feral pig exactly once.  It was ok, but nothing to write home about.  It did not have a strong taste.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,077 Senior Member
    Have a great time out there, Paul!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Thanks Luis, Mrs just got up from a nap, because she decided she'd like to go tonight.

The only meat I eat all year is Axis, Blackbuck, Feral Pig, Whitetail. 

In that order of preference. 

I shoot a truck load or more of pigs a year. 5 last week, even. 

I am selective about the the ones I take home or give away. Anything under 250lbs is good eating. Over that, and they are a little old with the boars tending to be scared up and rank smelling with testosterone and wounds. 

A lot also also has to do with their feed. In Ag areas where I cull crop raiders, they tend to be good tasting. 

Brushy areas with little to ko suppliments and they can they can be skinny, lean, and tough. 

A fat feral pig cleaned and cooked well is some damn fine eating. I actually like to mix pig and deer together when I grind burger to make the deer taste better. 

If its an eater and you you don’t want it, find someone who does. It’s a lazy waste not to. When my freezer is full, I give them away to others until there are no more takers. Only then will I leave them lay. Or, if they are non-eaters. 

Really good stuff. I live off them!!
    I doubt the few bags of corn these have eaten over the last couple of weeks has done much for their flavor

Here piggy, piggy, piggy.

edited August 13 #27
    Well, that was fun.
    Got there "early" figuring I'd put another bag of corn out for them before we settled down to hunting.

Actually we were late. There's a small rise just before the shooting house and when I topped it, the hogs were in my headlights. Grabbed my AR, loaded it, powered on the scope and got out. Wife couldn't reach her rifle.

This sounder is 7 hogs, one BIG (compared to the rest of them) sow, 2 medium sized hogs and 4 shoats.

Aimed half-way between eye and ear of one standing broadside and broke the first shot.

I forgot to turn on the recorder on my scope, but game cam took a pic with my headlights on them, and "momma" isn't in the pic. So I'm guessing the one I shot in the head was one of the "mediums". It went down, back legs first, so I figured it was on it's way to the cooler.

Lined up on the shoulder of one of the shoats, fired a second round, it jumped, turned and started running. Piggie #1 stood back up and I got on it and popped off a 3rd round. All from ~25-30 yards off hand. (Man I love hunting with a silencer)

After the 3rd shot, all the pigs decided it was time to seek life elsewhere.

Contrary to what I'd said earlier in this thread about not going to track a hog in these woods at night, I put that 13# AR back in the truck and grabbed my Glock22.
    HEAVY blood trails ran together and were quite nice for about 50 yards, then they made about a 5' diameter circle and we (wife and I) couldn't find anymore.

FYI, was shooting my handloads, Hornady 62gr Match HP bullets and 25.0 of TAC. Those Hornady bullets aren't cataloged and are a Midsouth Shooters Supply exclusive (according to Hornady)

While tracking, I found a 1x2" chunk of what appeared to be lung tissue, I have no idea which pig, but I'm GUESSING the shoat (2nd shot), just because I was aiming in the area of its front shoulder when I shot it.
    First shot was half-way between the eye and ear of that hog and it had turned away from me and I tried for the back of the head on the 3rd shot.

Here's what the game camera captured while I was prepping for the shot. IGNORE the 68° on the data strip. It was 80° according to my truck. Not too mention the forecast low for tonight is only 74°

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,409 Senior Member
    Well...that seems to have worked out...anxiously awaiting update...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Back home now Jayhawker.
    From the looks of the ground I trailed them through, they went "home" to lay up and die.

Considering the purpose, I spent a LOT more time tracking them than I intended to on a hog.

Figured the rest wouldn't be back tonight, so made an early evening of it.

Will possibly look tomorrow and see if I can at least find them to document  whether they were boars or sows, for the state. However, in this heat, that'll be all I do, if I do manage to locate either or both of them

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,494 Senior Member
    Looks fun.

Night time can be a special time outside.
    Yes sir, it can be.

Though I'll be honest, I like it better in the fall and spring when it's not so freakin' hot and humid