NEW CHALLENGES IN AIR TRAVEL WITH FIREARM

I am flying to Wash. D.C. next month.  The airline will not allow me to check my gun in my luggage because "transporting" firearms in D.C. is illegal.  I then decided to have my FFL ship my gun to Virginia and I would pick it up there.  Wrong.  Must have a VA driver's license to retrieve it.  In checking other surrounding states, the problem is the same.  I was unaware of this aspect of the slowly tightening noose around 2A and private gun ownership as it relates to travel.  I do have t he publication which outlines all gun laws in all 50 states, but that only works if you drive. 

Replies

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,743 Senior Member
    Which airport are you flying into? None of them are actually in DC. They are all in VA or MD. I've flown out of Reagan with firearms. Now if you're staying in DC then I wouldn't recommend it. But if you're staying in VA I don't see the problem. Which airline?
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,599 Senior Member
    Never had a problem with SouthWest.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,660 Senior Member
    You can legally mail the gun to yourself as long as the receiving party does not open the package and “take possession”, and just holds it for you AND you are legally allowed to posses the gun at your destination you are good.
    I'll have to check on that again.  Last time I wanted to do that I couldn't get a straight answer from anyone.  Going through TSA with guns is a nightmare least ways in Los Angeles.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.