Trump revokes Brennan's security clearance

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 6,539 Senior Member

Justified or payback?

In my humble opinion, there is no reason why Brennan should be been allowed to keep his clearance, regardless of his behavior.  The reason for a clearance is to benefit the government, not the individual holding the clearance.  At least that's my cut at it.

To take it a step further, I don't understand why any ex-officio should keep their clearance once they leave their government post UNLESS there is a legitimate reason.  I realize it's be customary to allow guys like this to keep their clearance, but I do not believe it's law.

I figure others will wish to weigh in on this.  Please do.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,095 Senior Member
    Justified. Brennan has been making statements for a long time that are just barely short of sedition. He has REPEATEDLY LIED under oath to Congress, and is actively attempting to undermine a sitting POTUS. The others having their clearances revoked are much the same. They aren't being consulted or doing consulting for the government so they don't need or require their clearance to continue.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,047 Senior Member
    There is no reason a person who is no longer in government service should maintain a clearance...fer crying out loud.
    "Customary" is not a regulation...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,841 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    There is no reason a person who is no longer in government service should maintain a clearance...fer crying out loud.
    Let's see...
    1. He NEEDED his clearance to do his job.
    2. He no longer HAS said job, that required the clearance
    NOPE, I don't see a problem with that at all.

Let's draw a simpler situation...
    1. I work for someone, and my job requires me to have a key to the shop so I can access everything in it.
    2. I quit, or get fired from said job
    Why in the world would I expect my former employer to let me keep my keys to his shop?

In all honesty, I would think the employer was ignorant for NOT asking for my keys back when I left their employment. Either that, or change the locks. Something to prevent me from having access to someplace I no longer had a legitimate reason to have access too.

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,589 Senior Member
    It was my understanding that such folks keep their clearance as a job perk after employment in order to sell consultation to private business????

True? False?

Looks to me like a case of swamp slinging.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,679 Senior Member
    I totally agree that nobody should be allowed an active security clearance unless they are performing a task that requires one. Retirement doesn't require one. When I worked for General Dynamics and Lockheed both, we only had our clearances put on our ID badges when we were working on a project that required it.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,072 Senior Member
    It was my understanding that such folks keep their clearance as a job perk after employment in order to sell consultation to private business????

True? False?

One must have a "need to know" to access classified information.  The need to know is gone as soon as someone leaves an agency, so they are no longer authorized access to any classified information.  However, they retain the clearance for a specified amount of time, making them eligible to regain use their clearance if they are hired by another company, if that is a condition of employment, without going through the entire vetting process again.  If someone has their clearance revoked, they must then go through the entire vetting process again to regain it, as well as overcoming the reason it was revoked.  For a private company, obtaining a clearance for an employee is a long and expensive process.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,539 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Jayhawker said:
    Let's see...
    1. He NEEDED his clearance to do his job.
    2. He no longer HAS said job, that required the clearance
    NOPE, I don't see a problem with that at all.

Let's draw a simpler situation...
    1. I work for someone, and my job requires me to have a key to the shop so I can access everything in it.
    2. I quit, or get fired from said job
    Why in the world would I expect my former employer to let me keep my keys to his shop?

In all honesty, I would think the employer was ignorant for NOT asking for my keys back when I left their employment. Either that, or change the locks. Something to prevent me from having access to someplace I no longer had a legitimate reason to have access too.

Paul, change that to "I am the CEO of a company, and my job..."
    Jerry

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,539 Senior Member

So it's to the governments benefit to keep those clearances current.  It is also specified that in order to maintain the clearance the person needs to maintain the same demeanor and exercise the same care in their communications concerning ANY sharing of information as they did when they were under government employment.  Brennan has not...

Enzo, let's take it a step further.

If Brennan is so positive that Russia meddled in the 2016 presidential election, or that there was collusion between the Russians and the Trump campaign, why didn't he do something then when he had the power and authority to do so?  Not only has he failed to maintain the same demeanor, etc., I submit he was derelict in his  duty when he was CIA director.  I also submit that this applies to other high ranking officials, such as James Comey, James Clapper and a whole laundry list of DOJ and FBI upper level personnel.

Why should they continue to hold a security clearance when they failed to act at the time the problems were occurring?

Jerry

edited August 2018 #10

True? False?

From the time I was 18 in the Army and worked with nuked until the time I retired from DoD 40 years later, I had clearances ranging all the way up to Top Secret Crypto...those clearances were upgraded and downgraded as necessary as my need to access different levels of Classified information changed over the years....When I retired my clearance was suspended...however the Non-disclosure Agreement remains in force..Once you are no longer in government service your "need to know" ceased....
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I turned in my Ovaltine Decoder ring when I retired.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,144 Senior Member
    edited August 2018 #12
    That commie sonofabitch should never have had a secret clearance in the first place. The screening of candidates for the CIA must be sorely lacking. Brennan voted for the communist party presidential candidate Gus Hall in 1976, I believe. In 1980, when he applied for a position in the CIA, he was worried he wouldn't pass the poly.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,841 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo said:
    Paul, change that to "I am the CEO of a company, and my job..."
    Jerry, I don't see being the director of a Gov't agency as a CEO position. That may just be me though. I see them more as a "district manager" type position

They work at the pleasure of others, hence their being fired at the whim of whomever holds the WH at the moment
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,589 Senior Member
    All of this forthcoming information begs the question.

Exactly how is revocation of his security clearance punitive???
    All of this forthcoming information begs the question.

Exactly how is revocation of his security clearance punitive???
    It's not.. it's common sense...unless he did something to get his clearance revoked for...which it looks like he did.
    Back when I was working under the Personnel Reliability Program they would suspend your clearance if you were prescribed a bottle of G.I. Gin at the dispensary...
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    Folks that are wrapped around the axel over this don't understand how the process works. Especially at that level.

Unless you have committed an action, or fallen into a situation, that requires further investigation and adjudication (Felony, certain misdemeanors, financial issues) then turning a Clearance on and off is just a paper work shuffle at CAF and OPM.   
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."