Crash Course in Philosophy

JermanatorJermanator Senior MemberPosts: 15,045 Senior Member
Got a few minutes? I paid thousands of bucks for this information in college that you can now get for free. The episodes are about 10 minutes long. Each episode from my experience covers about as much material as we did in 90 minutes of class. This is no bull, straight philosophy. It is taught exactly how I was taught. There is no political agenda, just a transfer of knowledge that you can decide to believe or not believe.

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,045 Senior Member
    #2= "How to Argue"

Bisley... I made it to #12 on these so far, but thought of you on #4. I can't remember why at the moment, but it is all you buddy.  Below is #2..

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,551 Senior Member
    OK, I'm listening, and willing to learn. Give me some hints. Where do I fit in, in your estimation? Relate this to what I have, or have not said, and we will be off to the races.

BTW, I just discovered this thread, so No.4 is all I have to go on at this point. I have a busy day ahead, so give me something to ponder while I'm chopping vegetables for 13 people.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,073 Senior Member
    I'm gonna have to check this out when I have a bit of time!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    bisley said:
    OK, I'm listening, and willing to learn. Give me some hints. Where do I fit in, in your estimation? Relate this to what I have, or have not said, and we will be off to the races.

BTW, I just discovered this thread, so No.4 is all I have to go on at this point. I have a busy day ahead, so give me something to ponder while I'm chopping vegetables for 13 people.
    Nothing to ponder. If you are interested in the lessons and have 10 minutes of free time, watch episode #1. If you are still interested after that, keep watching until you at least get past episode #4.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,551 Senior Member
    I have done 1 - 4, and although I have never dissected my posts to see if they fit these rules, I agree with the rules.

Anyone who is interested in history, has researched a doctor's diagnosis, or has tried to solve a fictional mystery has probably used some or all of these methods, and probably knows that their conclusions have different degrees of probability. An example of this would be something like comparing the Kennedy assassination to the Huey P. Long assassination - one is inconclusive as to who the perpetrator was, while the other was absolutely proven. It is why we will never have a perfect conclusion to one, and why most living people probably don't even know who Huey P. Long was.

There can be an almost overwhelming probability that a conclusion is true, without having proved that it is an absolutely correct conclusion. Criminal law is based almost entirely on the concept of 'reasonable doubt,' which is about as close as one can come to having a fair and workable rule.

Anyway, I intend to continue with the videos because I want to learn more about the 'appetitive' part of rationality. I have always tried to rate my own rationality based on what I think of as the logical side of my brain vs. the spiritual side, but I haven't given much thought to the appetitive part of rationality. I have just always passed it off as the enemy of reason and spirituality, and not really considered it much, at all. Since I eat too much bacon, and it is apparently going to be one of the examples, I have to stick with it. :)

Thanks for posting this thread, and please feel free to contribute any examples found in the political threads that might be instructive. I'm not overly sensitive about reasonable criticism.
    Somewhere around lesson 10 or so, he starts talking about religion, god, and how it fits in the whole picture. I am very impressed with how diplomatically he covers it.

Anyway, I am glad you are enjoying them. I have been finding them fun and enlightening.
    I'm watching now, on #3. This is FANTASTIC!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,949 Senior Member
    edited August 2018 #9
    I took four philosophy courses in school. Four semesters down the drain! Not because the material was boring but the professors sucked!!!!!

One professor apparently hated teaching Phil 120, so he patterned it after his graduate work which, of course, didn't resemble the lesson plan at all.

Another professor thought every class should end in a debate and would actually be a bit upset if it didn't. We made him mad often. :D

Two other courses were later made unnecessary due to a catalogue change during an accreditation year.  What a waste of money!

Thanks for bring up memories I tried so hard forgetting. So much beer down the tubes ;)

BTW, thx for posting. B)

Beware of false knowledge -- it is often more dangerous than ignorance.
    On #7 now. Making complete sense so far!