Handgun Caliber "Debate"?

1235»

Replies

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,949 Senior Member
    Stop yelling at us! We're sorry for the thread drift.

Discussions like this have been talked about many times before on here, so drift was bound to happen.

Stick around long enough and learn the hidden secrets of the .270. The mystic ritual behind barrel break in and why members in heels shouldn't be toyed with!

;)
    Beware of false knowledge -- it is often more dangerous than ignorance.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,978 Senior Member
    Hey, maybe I should install my .22 LR cylinder in my NAA .22 Mag and load it with .22 shorts...and shootem in the shorts with it..............or would the BG be gettin the short end of the stick..........maybe not ...........if it hit him in the.............

Heck, should I step up to a .410 Derringer?

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,233 Senior Member
    Hey, how come no one advocated the devastatingly lethal 410/45colt revolvers?

I guess water melon mayhem only goes so far?
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,072 Senior Member
    LeMat. Its all you need to know!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

There was a .410 guy on here who got banned.........he really thought it a real fight stopper.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    edited September 2018 #127
    zorba said:
    Those things had to be expensive to make. Yet Civil War movies love to show them. Makes me wonder if they were sort of anomaly.
    Big Chief said:

There was a .410 guy on here who got banned.........he really thought it a real fight stopper.
    I wouldn't call it a show stopper but at very close range, a .410 is lethal.

As for those .410/.45 colt revolvers -- if it's loaded with .45 colt loads, it's nothing to sneeze at.
    Here's an interesting page.
    http://www.410handguns.com/410_gel_results.html

edited September 2018 #129
    Interesting.
    Kind of like the various opinions of buckshots effectiveness. In an account of the 4/11/86 Miami FBI shootout, survivor Edmundo Mireles tells of it's failure. An opinion shared by many and disagreed with by many. In that particular case, the automobile being used for cover was of imperative influence, leading me to believe that shot loads are a specialized weapon, extremely effective in the right circumstance, and a toothless dog in the wrong circumstance.

Still, alternate loadings of 45colt with 410 shot shells would seem to alleviate the pit falls.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,072 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Those things had to be expensive to make. Yet Civil War movies love to show them. Makes me wonder if they were sort of anomaly.
    The reproductions are over $1K! I'd like to have one, but not that much...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Interesting.
    Kind of like the various opinions of buckshots effectiveness....
    leading me to believe that shot loads are a specialized weapon, extremely effective in the right circumstance, and a toothless dog in the wrong circumstance.

Yep. It's up to you to find the truth -- Some folk make all-knowing blanket statements about small sample sizes (limited encounters).
    Reality check -- It works sometimes and not others. Kinda like what happens with handguns. :/
    The guy was promoting .410 pump shotguns for HD..............not and .45 Colt combo revolvers IIRC.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,046 Senior Member
    He sais copper-washed pellets penetrated farther. They were heavier than plain lead.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    edited September 2018 #134
    I can speak from experience that 12ga 00 Buck is the Hand of God..........within a given distance. 

And utterly useless one step further. (Figuratively)

Up close its amazing!  Outside of that, penetration and coverage sucks yam sacks!

There is a reason I’ve gone to slugs almost exclusively. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,829 Senior Member
    To our .22 RF for self defense fans....whatever floats your boat I guess...
    During my time working EMS, I have had the opportunity to see enough gunshot wounds from various firearms to thoroughly destroy any idea of one-shot stops...one of my last calls was a guy who was shot by his wife with his own .44 .Mag...three hits from across the kitchen...two extremity hits and one through the left chest...following that he disarmed his wife and rendered her unconscious , then called 911, he was still alert, oriented and extremely pissed off when we got there...at which point I realized that even multiple hits with a hand cannon isn't a sure thing, so that whole NAA .22 thing just falls flat in my world...

Of late I have been carrying an LC9 after years of toting around a 1911 or other .45 ACP of some stripe and even knowing all the stuff about improved projectiles and such, I still find myself feeling somewhat undergunned...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,319 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I can speak from experience that 12ga 00 Buck is the Hand of God..........within a given distance. 

And utterly useless one step further. (Figuratively)

Up close its amazing!  Outside of that, penetration and coverage sucks yam sacks!

There is a reason I’ve gone to slugs almost exclusively. 
    Yes. And going full on slugs does away with the old, “pump, pump, push, push, pump.”
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,658 Senior Member
    Like Jayhawker, in my EMS career I've seen/treated folks shot with most of the common SD cartridges.

They've ranged from stone cold, cemetery dead from 5 22 shorts, to surviving a 12ga through the left arm and into the chest (quarter sized hole in the chest wall)
    "suck starting" a 12ga or a 270 makes a MESS.
    A 22 mag ricocheting down after hitting the left clavicle can WRECK a heart, to even a 10 year old that took a load of 00buck to the chest and was still alive after being stabilized at a local hospital then transported nearly 2 hours to a trauma center. (Was an interesting X-ray to say the least)
     A 7.62x39 to the thigh (through and through) and the guy was walking the halls of the hosp the next day
    A 1oz 12ga load of 7.5 in the throat, from close enough range for the wadding to be protruding from the throat can wreck your day too.

They're all deadly, given right circumstances and none of them are with the wrong ones.

We all pick what we feel is best for "us", or should, and as the old saying goes, "you pays the fees and takes your chances"

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,353 Senior Member
    There will come a day, when the title of a thread like this will be, "Phasers, Set to Stun or Disintegrate?" Someone, undoubtedly, will suggest beaming down a cat...
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    Couch cat is the Stun Cat.  This is the Disintegrate Cat:
    Instructions:  Set cat to "Shred", throw cat at perp, watch perp bleed.
    She also pulls guard duty for my daughter's  guinea pig.

My preference fer the house is a .44 Spl loaded with Gold Dots and a Ruger LC9s loaded with good HPs and usually my NAA .22 Mag in my pocket and  a P-64 9X18 close to the front door loaded with Hornady XTPs.

The NAA is something I slip in my pocket in a pocket holster and I ,at least, will have it with me. Yes, it is the only gun (CCW) on me at times........again better than no gun.

I like a .357 in the house too, just depends on what mood I'm in. I even keep my Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt handy at times loaded with 225 grain Winchester PDX loads.......so I'm liable to have anything in my collection available at a given time. 

I think my M-1 Carbine loaded with 110 grain soft points is a handy house gun too with 2X spare 15 rd mags on the stock in a pouch.

And yes, I have a couple ARs around too, but usually they aren't my go to SD/HD choice.  If a SHTF/Zombie attack or natural disaster like a hurricane and no power and the infrastructure collapses like scenario, yes I'd get one out along with a stack of loaded 30 rd mags.

Just my way of thunking, we are all different. I ain't no 'Operator' by any stretch of the imagination. Doesn't bother me if you got a cannon loaded with nails and chain covering yer front yard, each to his/her own.

Again, if someone asked me what a good CCW/HD/SD choice would be for them, I would not recommenced a NAA revolver, I'd tell them a good .45/9mm/.380/.38 or .357 revolver. If they have other guns/experience and want something different, get a NAA and enjoy it keeping in mind its limitations.  

Heck, maybe my Marlin lever 1894 in .45 Colt would be a handy house gun, my 1895 45-70 would be too much...................I like choices. 
    Big Chief said:
    Doesn't bother me if you got a cannon loaded with nails and chain covering yer front yard, each to his/her own.

Hey, great idea Chief!  Now, I wonder if the local Army/Navy surplus still carries cannons......
  • KurtKurt New Member Posts: 21 New Member
    Sorry! I don't mean to "holler" at ya. It's the formatting of my Word program, sized for the nearly blind.

I once had a cat that looked amazingly like the example above. We had her for almost 18 years. One day, my son comes running into the house saying, Dad, Dad, the cat (PooPoo) has a squirrel under your car. I drag myself off the sofa and go into the garage, bend down and sure enough, there was PooPoo holding a squirrel by the throat, one third bigger than her. The squirrel was deader than yesterday's fish. She looked at me and growled at me as if to say, "Go get your own bloody squirrel, you lazy duff!". Needless to say, I let her have her way.

To this day I believe she would be more effective than any 25 ACP. 
    “The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user.”
    Col. Jeff Cooper
  • KurtKurt New Member Posts: 21 New Member
    PS   I also have an 870 with #7, OO buck and slugs for short range home defense. There is also a Winchester Model 94 stuffed with 44 Specials (Hornady XTP) as additional options should time allow.
    “The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user.”
    Col. Jeff Cooper
    My shotgun is just a little bit scarier looking than an 870. :D  If I ever do have to pull it out for defense there is a good chance that just the sight of it will stop the bad guy in his tracks.  That would be good.....less paperwork and less cleanup.  There is something to be said for the intimidation factor and it makes my "evil black rifle" look......cute.
1235»