Silent Sam Falls On His Face

sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior MemberPosts: 1,570 Senior Member

The well over 100 year old statue sponsored by the 'Daughters of the Confederacy' in 1909 at the University of North Carolina has been illegally toppled. Long Nicknamed 'Silent Sam'. What upsets me the most is that It represented the common Infantry soldier of the Confederate army. They with their Union army counterparts were the "cannon fodder". US Military deaths (both sides) during the Civil War were barely less than US military deaths during WW2. The civil war common soldiers in the South had a small farm at best or nothing at worst. Why would you vilify them. The woman speaking on TV stated That it is time to remove symbols of the white supremacist, racist, slave owning murderers of her ancestors. I'm not positive it was Stacy Little but the statements attributed to her in the written article were quite similar. My first impression of her "racist" comments were that the "murderers" missed the important ancestors as she is now here. Does that make me a racist which I am definitely not? I also found it ironic or sad that she is currently pursuing a Doctorate degree in history when she apparently has no idea what history is.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/protesters-topple-silent-sam-confederate-statue-at-unc/ar-BBMbY07?li=BBnbfcL

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,816 Senior Member
    The ones that toppled the statue remind me of nothing less than the Taliban and ISIS. Destroy anything that they don't like and claim it's a protest and that they are just protesting. I can remember a time when such 'protests' would entitle the protesters to all the pop knots their head could hold, and being handcuffed and taken to the jail for arraignment in the morning, unless it was Friday night; they'd have to wait until Monday morning then. That statue represented around 100+ former students that fought in the Civil War. A communal headstone of sorts since a lot of those students were placed in common grave trenches after battle. So brave of those filthy little snotwads to tear down a monument to the dead.

Rumor has it that the police were told to stand down and let them do it. If that is so, then they need to turn in their badges for obeying an illegal order. Refusing to uphold the law they swore to uphold is reason enough to do that.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,282 Senior Member
    I saw that on tv. Having recently read extensively about the early years of the civil rights movement. I'm of the opinion that such actions are taken up by lazy sensationalists that are not willing to take constructive action to achieve their goals. I see no useful purpose achieved by statue/symbol removal. Legal or otherwise. The true freedom fighters I read about would not waste valuable time and resources on such frivolity.
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,570 Senior Member

More information. I remember the 1960s anti war protests with most protesters only doing it because it was the "in" thing to do being peaceable. The violent destructive ones were so much like todays ANTIFA!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hands-off-police-response-to-two-silent-sam-protests-were-far-different/ar-BBMhUWN?li=BBnbcA1

• GilaGila Posts: 993 Senior Member
    They need to pay for the repair of the statue, plus serve about 1,000 hours of community serve.  Destroying property is not free speech, it's vandalism.  Every one of them who participated needs to be charged.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    The 'v' coverage I saw show'd officers standing by not interfering.

Maybe the best policy at the time, I don't know.
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 427 Member
    Within the next few years all of the confederate statues will be gone. Save for a few in museums. It's sad the things there getting by with. It will probally be a crime to fly the stars and bars before long. They say it is a symbol of racism.
    NPR broadcast a statement by a student saying the statue was in violation of federal law that made it illegal to promote hostile race relations or something along those lines. I can't recall the exact wording.

Law and policy would make more constructive targets of focus than historical symbols subject to as much misinterpretation as interpretation. 
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,652 Senior Member
    Things are getting real close to coming to a head.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.