Home Main Category General Firearms

Why the XD hate?

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,864 Senior Member
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,187 Senior Member
    edited August 2018 #33
    I guess none of you ever had this?   :D

I have had similar, just not in such fancy packaging............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,297 Senior Member
    Once it gets cycled, it makes the same unglamorous departure.🍺
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,381 Senior Member
    I had not cared for the XD, but shot Kansashunter's and found the compact version easy to shoot.
    Even thought about purchasing one, but haven't
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,500 Senior Member
    Not exactly hate but:

One-time use roll pins.  Pretty much every manufacturer of these "modern" pistols who uses them (or compressing spline pins) to hold in their firing pins, extractors, etc... recommends that you put new ones in every time you take them out.  Meanwhile a certain pistol marketed by the same company designed dang near a century earlier by some hick in Utah does not have this problem, going right back together after deep cleaning with all the parts it started with.

Three extra parts and who knows how many added machining operations to install a loaded chamber indicator, which a non-idiot doesn't need.  Meanwhile, a certain pistol out of Austria simply re-sculpts the extractor (which the pistol DOES need) to perform the same task.

Having to completely let out and re-stage the trigger every shot for the pre-M models.  Probably not an issue for those who didn't own a Glock first, but for those who did. . .pretty unfriendly.  Odd that the Glock, which is technically double action, shoots more like a single action than the XD, which IS a single action. 
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Ken_S_LaTransKen_S_LaTrans Posts: 108 Member
    I don't have  XD(m)(s)(2.0) "hate"....I merely have XD "ambivalence".  I have fired all models and incarnations over the years.  I have even fired Rob Leatham's match guns (I shoot Tuesday Night Steel at Rio Salado in Mesa every Tuesday for the last 25 years)...and I have never found they do anything better than Glock (or better any other striker fired pistol from a quality manufacturer),  I do admit to having some positive feelings for the XDm 45 Compact, having won one at the Northern Arizona Classic about 6 years ago and I like the feel of it better than the Glock 30. 

The only thing I truly have a dislike for is the grip safety.  It's like one of those extra levers and gadgets (I feel) you don't need, but makes some people feel better for having it.  I have seen, and I mean personally seen not "heard about on the internet", one tie up when crud got into the grip safety recess and stop it from disengaging.  It was at an IDPA match...so it wasn't in a critical incident.  Admittedly, this was a one-time thing...but it is definitely something to be aware of and to make sure you keep the safety recess on your own XD (or any gun) clean and free of debris.  (It is also notable that the entire gun itself was FILTHY and the shooter was using W231 in his 9mm recipe which is a FILTHY powder, and it was a cumulative effect of many matches without cleaning the gun).

To be fair to the shooter...he was using W231 during the Obama Panic when reloading components were hard to come by for a lot of guys.  If he would have cleaned his gun every once in a while, it probably wouldn't have happened.  It was a learning moment for him.  It took about three minutes and a good blast of brake parts cleaner to get his gun up and running again to finish the match.

I tend to think of the Glock, XD, Ruger SR, Smith M&P, Sig P320...etc...as "Ford, Chevy, Dodge"...they will all do the job, and it really just boils down to what YOU like and shoot best.  My bigger question is "Would I take one to a fight?".  Yeah.  I'd take one to a fight.

ONLY THE INFERIOR CRY FOR EQUALITY
    orchidman said:
    I guess none of you ever had this?   :D

I have had similar, just not in such fancy packaging............
    Ugh....I am old enough to remember buying this when we were in high school.  Hell, I am old enough to remember this, Pet Rocks, Billy Beer, and mood rings.  Oh yeah....and all that Ronco **** they used to sell like Mister Microphone and the Pocket Fisherman.  And K-Tel records on TV!

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,291 Senior Member
    Pet Rocks, Billy Beer, and mood rings.  Oh yeah....and all that Ronco **** they used to sell like Mister Microphone and the Pocket Fisherman.  And K-Tel records on TV!

"Hey good lookin', we'll be back to pick you up later..."

Today, that would be harassment.  :D

Back then, it was just clean, silly fun. B)
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,939 Senior Member
    My bigger question is "Would I take one to a fight?".  Yeah.  I'd take one to a fight.

If the alternative is a harsh word and a stern look...........wait.......I’m thinking about it.  
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    My issue with the grip safety is not it’s existence, but it’s design. 

I would rather it be a more integral portion of the grip like a 1911 bevertail grip safety or an HK P7 squeeze cocker. 
    Makes sense.  
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,561 Senior Member
    When I shot XDs I never noticed the grip safety. 

Guess I don't have sensitive hands.

And I wasn't high volume shooting. 
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,953 Senior Member
    I'd rather do without the grip safety on those, but it never really affected anything for me when I did shoot them.  The safety device that really bothered me was the two part trigger on my M&P Shield.  Using the high grip that I normally use, I can on occasion grab the trigger too high. When that happens, the trigger safety won't disengage. Once its got tension against the safety, it's difficult to get it to disengage without letting go of the trigger and re positioning my finger.
    I haven't found W231 to be that dirty, but in all fairness Id likely be well served with Old Ron's avatar.😯
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,540 Senior Member
    I have never used W231, but HP-38 gummed up my CZ-97 to a point that I could watch the slide move forward and stop short of going into battery after less than 50 rounds.  
    Same powder IIRC.

Must be the pistols. I run it in my Colt 1991A1. No problems, no worries.🔫

I like 231.  It works great in my experience in 38 Special, 45ACP and in 44 Special.  Even in revolver use, when I do any volume of shooting (IDPA, or USPSA) with a wheelgun and use W231, I take off the sideplate and spray the guts out of the action after the match.  Between stages, I make sure the spaces under the extractor star are de-gooped  because I have noticed some cylinder drag after as few as 100 rounds.  But the upside to W231 is that it is an economical powder and it turns out some very accurate loads, so in those applications I am willing to put up with it.  

On the down side, it is definitely smokey, and in the 9mm...again...in my experience...it is dirty because a lot of it is left unburned which turns into the creepin crud.  My own Hi Power does not like 231 at all. 

Add all that to the lack of overall cleaning he did on his XD 9mm add the fine dirt and sand at the range where he shoots and you have a recipe for his grip safety getting enough crud in the recess to stop it from disengaging.  Once it was cleaned out...the gun ran again.  Realistically, it's not even the gun.  It's the lack of basic maintenance. 
    I couldn't find w231 here last trip, so Ive been trying 700x as a replacement. I like it, but I'm not sure if its any cleaner.
    edited August 2018 #49
    I’ve found Titegroup to be a better substitute for my use. But, as I always state, it can be very unforgiving. Often, the difference between starting and max load is less than one grain. + or - a tenth measuring accuracy is pretty necessary when trying to be accurate with it. It only takes a tiny bit and isn’t as dirty. I wouldn’t call it clean. But it’s not bad. 

ETA, and, ive been able to get good accuracy with it and it can be used in damn near any handgun cartridge. Just a good, accurate all around powder and a pound goes a long ways. Just requires some caution. 
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    I have an XD and like it.  The grip angle works better for me than a Glock, and it shoots very well for how light it is.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    edited August 2018 #51
    We use tite group for very light bullets in light loads.  Quick follow up shots using a 90 or 100 gr .380 bullet in a 9mm case.  About 2.8 gr. in a PCC works well.  Like shooting a ..22
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    edited August 2018 #52
    Ive loaded Titegroup in everything from 9mm to 45 Colt for lighter loads. A 250 grain rnfp or 255 grain SWC with 5.7-5.8 grains of TG in 45 Colt makes a nice, mild and very accurate load, in my experience. 

Point with TG is, while Trail Boss is a great powder for mild loads as well, a 1 pound container is actually 9 ounces of powder. A container goes pretty quick. A pound of TG goes a long ways. 
    I couldn't find w231 here last trip, so Ive been trying 700x as a replacement. I like it, but I'm not sure if its any cleaner.
    I usually order 4 x 8lb jugs of powder at a time.  I still have 3 1/2 full jugs of W231 from some I ordered last year.  I expect this will last me until I croak...if not, pretty close.  Clays FINALLY became available again, and I ordered 4 x 8lb jugs of that in January, as of yet I haven't opened the new stuff because I had one full jug left, but it is about empty now so it is getting close.  Most places around here that sell powder have TiteGroup all the time.  I have about 10lbs of in my powder storage.  Then, of course I have the mish mash of different powders I have bought and tried like Power Pistol (which is okay, but I am not hotrodding anything to make Major, so for me it's not a great fit), I have Green Dot Blue Dot, and 2600, and a few more.  I have 4 presses (all Dillon) and they get used weekly so I burn a lot of powder.

I am not in love with the 700X because I don't like the way it meters in the Dillon powder measure.  It's inconsistent...but my friend runs an RCBS progressive and it works fine as wine.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,304 Senior Member
    Issues with the grip safety?  Guys who hated the grip safety on 1911s came up with a solution a long time ago...pin it! Grip tape it for a less permanent solution....unless doing that would somehow interfere with the operation of the XD that I haven't considered...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,939 Senior Member
    Held a couple XDs today to see if the newer ones were any better. 

The XDM is an improvement in the mag pinch and tapered controls aspect. 

It pointed fine and the trigger was serviceable. The grip safety is still an annoyance, though.  And the bore axis is still not preferential. 

Then I held an XD-E with an exposed hammer and no thumb safety. 

Its a no-go as i would be bleeding all over myself after reloads. 

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Jay said:
    Ive loaded Titegroup in everything from 9mm to 45 Colt for lighter loads. A 250 grain rnfp or 255 grain SWC with 5.7-5.8 grains of TG in 45 Colt makes a nice, mild and very accurate load, in my experience. 

Point with TG is, while Trail Boss is a great powder for mild loads as well, a 1 pound container is actually 9 ounces of powder. A container goes pretty quick. A pound of TG goes a long ways. 
    I use Trail Boss for my .38 puff loads.  I can get 1900-2000 rounds out of a "pound" of TB.  I should really chronograph that load some day.  Its slow, but still enough to clear a 6" barrel.  I have a couple 1 pound cans and an 8 pound jug some place.  Overall, maybe 7 pounds in total between all the sealed containers.

Never tried Titegroup.  I might once I burn up some of the other powders I have tried and didnt care for.  Gotta make paper punching loads out of something, right?

I had a G29 and one of the reasons I got rid of it was due to the pinch between the magazine and the end of the grip.  If I tucked my pinkie under the magazine it wasnt an issue, but that wanst the most comfortable way to shoot it.  It was a riot at the range though.  The G40 is fun, but I think the G29 was more entertaining.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,291 Senior Member
    How about the Tactical Zone?

For those that need to be reassured that they're using -- The Right Stuff!
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

They really do make a Glock look not seem so ugly.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Hey Jay, look on Hodgdon's reloading site and pick Ruger Only loads. It shows Titegroup and a Hornady 250 grain XTP bullet that gives you more than a standard .45 Colt load, but less than the full house stompers, 9.5 grains @1124 fps

I fired some outta my Blackhawk and Marlin. Fun load.

Usually, I load about 8.0 grains Unique or so under a  255 grain hard cast poly coated bullet. Shoot them and a lighter charge of Titegroup (6.0 grains?) from both my New Vaquero and Blackhawk.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Don't think I ever fired an XD pistol, but only the 1911 Springfields.

I've seen and handled them in gunshops, like Glocks they just don't do it for me. I may be missing something and I know they are good tools, but not for me.

Was it last year or the year before all kinds of XDs were on sale with rebates.........9mm/.40/.45 and that bought the prices down into the 200s. Musta been because a newer versions were coming out. 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    edited August 2018 #61
    3 grs of trailboss with 125 gr bullet in 38spl works fine out of a lever gun and pistol.  Feels like a .22 in the 1873.  I know cowboy shooters who use even less.

I like TG for PCC loads.  2.8-3.0 gr.  For 100 or 115 gr bullets.  That light a load won't work in my pistol though.  Costs a little more then TB so it works out about the same.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician