Home Main Category General Firearms

Why the XD hate?

13»

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,922 Senior Member
    It’s interesting how many scoff at a dislike for a gun as “hogwash” or being a “glockofile”. Because many don’t express the reason for their dislike. 

But, disliking a Glock is accepted because it doesn’t fit their hand or point right. 

Interesting. 

I’ve expressed legitamate issues I have with the XD models and they are ignored by many. 

The two facedness of gun dislike is about as legitamate as politics. 

Folks only see one side. 

I like guns. I like all guns. But, if you are gonna give me a chance to be particular. I will. 

You like it. Great. I don’t like it. Great. 

Accept my reasons when explained and justified. Just as I will accept yours when explained and justified. 

If you can’t articulate your like/dislike...........learn how to think and communicate. 

Pretty simple. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    My first carry gun was an XD45, when they were new on the market. I hated it so much that I kept it for about 6 years, and then swapped it even for a pristine Kahr K-40, because the K-40 was a gun that listed for about $800, new, vs the XD45 listing for about $550. I promptly bought the first XD45 Compact I ran across, because with the 13 round extended mag that came with it, it was exactly the same feel as the original XD45, and the ten round mag made it easier to conceal. When the XDs .45 hit the shelves, I bought one, and it is now my primary carry, sharing the duty almost equally with a 9mm Shield, which I had to spend an additional $150 on an Apex kit to make the trigger as good as the XDs45.

My personal opinion is that the XD is equal to the Glock in every way that is important to me, but is $100 cheaper and has metal magazines. The grip safety is maybe unnecessary, but harms nothing and is completely unnoticeable to me, while shooting it. The XD has been torture tested as stringently as the Glocks, and has passed them all. They are made in Croatia, but serviced by Springfield, which works fine for me. I like Glocks just fine, and shoot them as well as I do the XD, but they are not better, in my opinion. I think any XD hate that is out there is irrational. People all have their own preferences, based on their personal perceptions, and they are not necessarily logical.
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 358 Member
    I'll just say I've had good experience with all the SA handguns I own. XD9, XDM .45, XDs .45, and 1911 RO .45. The XDs is still my primary carry, I use the 7 round extended mags for control and comfort because of large hands. They have all proven to be reliable, durable, and fairly accurate for me. The 1911 is "better than I am". Plastic guns in general now get a big "meh" from me and to be honest what really gets me going these days are S&W revolvers.
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,876 Senior Member
    Zee you make a good point. I have my preferences and will admit I have been at this a shorter time than most but I never could understand the hate. When I bought my first handgun I looked at several and the one that felt the best in MY hand is the one I bought. I like the grip safety because it makes me feel safer.  My carry holster is a little hard to reholster and so I grip the sides without disengaging the grip safety, if my shirt or something happened to catch the trigger I am still good. Should I lose weight so my fat isn't in the way, yes. Should I carry in a different position, I carry where it is best to draw it. Is my xds ugly, I don't care. It is a tool. I have revolvers that are pretty but I wouldn't carry them. That's why I carry an xds and have an xdm beside my bed.  
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I'll just say I've had good experience with all the SA handguns I own. XD9, XDM .45, XDs .45, and 1911 RO .45. The XDs is still my primary carry, I use the 7 round extended mags for control and comfort because of large hands. They have all proven to be reliable, durable, and fairly accurate for me. The 1911 is "better than I am". Plastic guns in general now get a big "meh" from me and to be honest what really gets me going these days are S&W revolvers.
    Me two/tu/2/to/too and have for my gun life.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,379 Senior Member
    Zee you make a good point. I have my preferences and will admit I have been at this a shorter time than most but I never could understand the hate. When I bought my first handgun I looked at several and the one that felt the best in MY hand is the one I bought. I like the grip safety because it makes me feel safer.  My carry holster is a little hard to reholster and so I grip the sides without disengaging the grip safety, if my shirt or something happened to catch the trigger I am still good. Should I lose weight so my fat isn't in the way, yes. Should I carry in a different position, I carry where it is best to draw it. Is my xds ugly, I don't care. It is a tool. I have revolvers that are pretty but I wouldn't carry them. That's why I carry an xds and have an xdm beside my bed.  
    @kansashunter I was hoping you would post here. I was in the not like crowd  until i shot yours. Never liked how they felt in my hand at the store
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • MarvinMarvin Member Posts: 126 Member
    I picked up an XD about 10 years ago because I really like the way it felt in my hand.  The trigger was just ok but it seemed like a good carry option.  In the end I sold it to a friend and haven’t really missed it.  Not a hater but it’s not something that I get excited about.  
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,266 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    It’s interesting how many scoff at a dislike for a gun as “hogwash” or being a “glockofile”. Because many don’t express the reason for their dislike. 

But, disliking a Glock is accepted because it doesn’t fit their hand or point right. 

Interesting. 

I’ve expressed legitamate issues I have with the XD models and they are ignored by many. 

Folks only see one side. 

I like guns. I like all guns. But, if you are gonna give me a chance to be particular. I will. 

Accept my reasons when explained and justified. Just as I will accept yours when explained and justified. 

If you can’t articulate your like/dislike...........learn how to think and communicate. 

Pretty simple. 
    Your experiences aren't wrong. It's just the difference between a heavy user and a casual user.

Some of the Glockofile stuff is just ribbing, and some is because we don't get free ammo and shoot long enough to get a pistol hot or rub enough to break skin. If I shot 300-500 rounds at once, I notice different things..

I have never even noticed the grip safety on any pistol. I pick it up, I shoot, I don't even feel it is there.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,922 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Dislikes:

-High Bore Axis
    -Squared controls that chew up my shooting and support thumbs. 
    -Magwell that pinches my shooting hand palm on reloads. 
    -Grip Safety
    -Excessive heat in prolonged fire. 

I’m thinking. 

Give me a minute. 

Stil thinking. 
    Hey Zee, I’m bumping this because I think you missed it since it rolled off on page one and I’m very curious as to why you think the reason for this heat build up might be?
    The most simple answer I can think of is “design flaw”. I know that sounds like a cheap shot. But, that’s gotta be it. I have put as many and more rounds through other handguns as I did that day with the XD. Only one other handgun has ever heated up so uncomfortably as the XD did and that’s the HK PSP I have. 

I’m sure there are more technical reasons and if I had the gun in front of me, I could probably do a better job of decifering them. I don’t, and don’t remember what it looked like disassembled. So, I’m of little help there. 

I just know it was noticeably uncomfortable relatively quickly when going through multiple mags. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    I just transferred myself a XDs 45 yesterday. Haven’t shot it yet but I like the way it feels. I usually carry pocket guns, so I’m looking at holsters at the moment. Can’t stand IWB. Too fat for them. I’ll drop my opinion once I put range time on it.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Zee said:

Interesting. 

Folks only see one side. 

Pretty simple. 
    I actually stated that while the Glock doesn't fit my hand well, the most accurate polymer pistol I ever fired was a Glock long slide in .40 S&W. I found it very shootable. But it won't be on my list to buy. 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    Who could hate this? 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,862 Senior Member
    Gee Zee:
    I disliked Glocks because I shot a Glock .40 S&W------did not like the trigger' the trigger pull was too heavy.
    Shooting it made my trigger finger sore after a few rnds. So dislike was created by Glock.

I did buy a Glock 20 as a backup for a revolver and it fills my hand full----still did not like the Glock trigger pull.
    I got a 3.5 lb connector and the pistol shoots well enough------so like it-----but,

not sure I want any other  Glock models.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,086 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Zee said:
    Dislikes:

-High Bore Axis
    -Grip Safety

I’m thinking. 

Give me a minute. 

Stil thinking. 
    Hey Zee, I’m bumping this because I think you missed it since it rolled off on page one and I’m very curious as to why you think the reason for this heat build up might be?
    The most simple answer I can think of is “design flaw”. I know that sounds like a cheap shot. But, that’s gotta be it. I have put as many and more rounds through other handguns as I did that day with the XD. Only one other handgun has ever heated up so uncomfortably as the XD did and that’s the HK PSP I have. 

I’m sure there are more technical reasons and if I had the gun in front of me, I could probably do a better job of decifering them. I don’t, and don’t remember what it looked like disassembled. So, I’m of little help there. 

I just know it was noticeably uncomfortable relatively quickly when going through multiple mags. 
    K, thanks.  I’m going to rent one next time I’m in town to try to figure that out.  I’m really curious now.
    You have to hold it against your shirt to see if it starts on fire
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    When I get mine really hot, I put it agains the small of my back to relieve back pain. Saves money on Chiropractors...

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Every plastic, striker-fired gun I own is either OK, or not OK, in which case I get rid of it. If I want to feel joy while shooting, I shoot my Springfield 1911, or a S&W revolver. But I don't intend to carry either, so I practice more with the ugly guns that I don't mind sweating on or getting an occasional ding on.

The XD line is just one out of about a dozen low to medium priced handguns that are reasonably accurate, durable, and priced competitively. The first one I tried was the XD, and I liked it, so I bought it, and fired thousands of rounds through it with no malfunctions, and I learned to hit fairly small targets at medium pistol ranges, so it became an old friend, like the Craftsman ratchets in my tool box.

I own one Glock, a G20, and I like it a lot. If I decide to buy a 9mm in a 'full sized' pistol, I will handle the G-19. But, if I do, chances are I will once again buy an XD, for the same reason I bought the first one. It's cheaper than the Glock, and just as good, for a person of my abilities. My upbringing (I guess) always prevents me from paying more for features that I can't take advantage of, or in this case, can't even find. I went to buy a Sig, and came home with a CZ. I went to buy a Benelli, and came home with a Stoeger. My Depression era male role models have scarred me, I reckon.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,559 Senior Member
    edited August 2018 #78

But, disliking a Glock is accepted because it doesn’t fit their hand or point right. I'd say disliking any handgun is acceptable if if doesn't fit your hand right, or point right.  I admit I love 1911s with an arched MSH, but the flat ones don't point right for me.  Some folks say, "just use the sights" but for my uses for a handgun, some natural pointing is preferred.  Just like folks don't like to use a rifle that doesn't fit them well.  I actually wish Glocks fit my hand well.  Just can't warm up to them.

Interesting. 

I’ve expressed legitamate issues I have with the XD models and they are ignored by many.   I had forgotten the heat issue, but the other issues just weren't issues to me. 

The two facedness of gun dislike is about as legitamate as politics. I thought politics were verboten outside of the Second Amendment Forum?  But, not to bash Glocks (I'm really not) here's an article about some of the Glock devotees. 

http://www.gunsandammo.com/gun-culture/glock-owners-are-the-new-1911-crowd/

Folks only see one side. My side is right, your side is wrong.

You like it. Great. I don’t like it. Great. Seems like dissing the Glock is what all the cool kids are doing now. 

Accept my reasons when explained and justified. Just as I will accept yours when explained and justified. So we don't need a reason to buy a firearm, but need one not to buy it?  What kinda logic is that?

If you can’t articulate your like/dislike...........learn how to think and communicate. As Grug Crood said, "Big words make me angry!"

Pretty simple. 

Overkill is underrated.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,401 Senior Member

You know, you CAN like both.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,401 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Zee said:
    Dislikes:

-High Bore Axis
    -Grip Safety

I’m thinking. 

Give me a minute. 

Stil thinking. 

Since I had the XD out of the safe, I poked around to see if there would be a reason it would get hotter than any other similar gun.  On my Wife’s early sample, it has a steel (magnetic) trigger that is in rirect pinned contact with the big steel chassis that has the slide rails and locks in with the barrel.

Looks like it would be pretty easy to conduct heat down to the trigger finger.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Don't forget the mono-block in the action. That might warm up a bit and it's a good chunk of metal. 

Maybe the aluminum does a better job of dissipating the heat while the polymer insulates it?
    Overkill is underrated.
    I think it's that monoblock/locking block Dan C. talked about.  Seems more substantial in the XD vs. the Glock.
    Or could be a different polymer.
    Or we're looking at the wrong cause.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,086 Senior Member
    When I get mine really hot, I put it agains the small of my back to relieve back pain. Saves money on Chiropractors...

Shoot 2 magazines and call me in the morning if it is not better.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11