John McCain has stopped his treatment for brain cancer

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 25,810 Senior Member
I put this in 2A/Political because it has a high probability of going political, and that don't belong in the Clubhouse.

Anyway, McCain has stopped taking the treatments for the brain cancer he's been fighting for a year now. Sounds like it isn't responding and getting worse. My Aunt, my Dad's sister, died of brain cancer, and it's an ugly way to go. And because of that I feel sympathy for him and his family knowing what they are and have been going through. Since his cancer is aggressive and he's stopped treatment I doubt he'll see the end of September. Whatever I feel about him politically, I'll put aside for now. I wouldn't wish what he's going through on anyone.

https://www.arcamax.com/currentnews/newsheadlines/s-2117030

WASHINGTON -- Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., is suspending treatment for brain cancer. He is 81. Here is a statement from his family.

"Last summer, Senator John McCain shared with Americans the news our family already knew: he had been diagnosed with an aggressive glioblastoma, and the prognosis was serious. In the year since, John has surpassed expectations for his survival. But the progress of disease and the inexorable advance of age render their verdict. With his usual strength of will, he has now chosen to discontinue medical treatment. Our family is immensely grateful for the support and kindness of all his caregivers over the last year, and for the continuing outpouring of concern and affection from John's many friends and associates, and the many thousands of people who are keeping him in their prayers. God bless and thank you all."

(c)2018 Los Angeles Times

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,670 Senior Member
    From what I've seen, not a pleasant way to go.

Politics aside, I hope his passing is easy
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,958 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:

Politics aside, I hope his passing is easy
    This...

He deserves respect for his service. I'll be a difficult period for the family in the coming days.

Beware of false knowledge -- it is often more dangerous than ignorance.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    Yes, even though I don't care for his politics that is a hard way to go.

My prayers go out to him and his family.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 3,277 Senior Member
    +3👍
    Anyone know how his replacement will be selected........special election, wait for the midterms or appointed by the AZ Gov/some other protocol? 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    OK, found it the Gov does, but depends on the timing of the vacancy as to when the appointed one would face an election.

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member
    Dont wish this on anyone. I hope the family isnt shy with the hospice nurse when the time comes.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 260 Member
    Hard way to go, I really wouldn't wish it on anyone.  I was wondering if he would stay until the very end, however long that may be.  Prayers be with him and his family.  
    "Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,868 Senior Member
    I myself have to lay politics aside on this one. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Hope he can be without much pain.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    Hoping he goes in a good way....
    Don't care for his politics but his service to this country in the military is deserving of respect...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    edited August 2018 #12
    I feel terrible for his family, especially his daughter, who has openly taken this whole journey pretty hard.  

I have a high school friend whose dad passed from a glioblastoma just a couple of years back.  She said that the treatment period was mostly horrible, and that if her dad could have done things over, he would've simply skipped it altogether and just enjoyed whatever days he had left with some dignity.  

We've come a long way with some forms of cancer treatment, but brain cancers are still a serious killer.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,068 Senior Member
    I always admired him and voted for him over Obama.  I feel a great deal of sympathy for what he's endured and what he will endure very shortly.  Not a pretty way to go.  My wife had kidney cancer that went to her lung and then to her brain.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06