Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

DOE falsely reports school shooting numbers

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberKaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member

NPR fact checks the feds. Kudos!

The Department of Education (DOE) says that there were 235 school shootings in the 2015–16 school year. But when NPR double-checked the figure, it found that only 11 could be independently confirmed. A full 161 of the reported shootings—some two-thirds of the alleged total—did not happen at all. Another four incidents were miscategorized. (In one case, for example, a cap gun was fired on a school bus. In another, a student posted a picture online of himself holding a gun, at home, on a Saturday.) And 59 could neither be confirmed or disconfirmed, since the districts never responded to NPR's inquiries.

The DOE's figures appeared in 2018's Civil Rights Data Collection (CRDC) survey, a biennial report that asks districts about everything from school disciplinary rates to the availability of advanced placement courses. This was the first time the survey asked schools if they'd had any shootings.

At the very least, this shows that a lot of time and effort was spent collecting useless data. At worst, this raises the possibility that these bad stats will be used to direct millions in federal school safety grants toward unproductive or even counterproductive uses.

Ventura Unified School District in Southern California reported 27 school shootings to the DOE but told NPR that the correct number was zero. An assistant superintendent speculated that someone had hit the wrong button by mistake.

Cleveland's school district reported 37 shooting incidents to the DOE, then told NPR that this was actually the number of times people had been caught on school grounds with a firearm or a knife. Someone had accidentally entered the number on the wrong line.

The DOE tells NPR that all this data will have to stay in the system, as the department's deadline for corrections has closed. But the department will amend its latest survey with a note about the problems NPR uncovered.

http://reason.com/blog/2018/08/28/federal-government-survey-wildly-overest

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    Talk about making stuff up
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    The numbers should drop substantially once all of the plastic drinking straws are phased out of circulation.😒
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Yeah, Early. Those danged kids are good at making guns out of straws, Pop Tarts, and Play Dough. Ingenious cookie munchers. :D

Seriously, it looks like someone diddling with the statistics to match their already formulated conclusion. The figures lie because the liars did the figures.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,280 Senior Member
    I had to steal your post...hope you don't mind....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,659 Senior Member
    Huh, fake news. From the Govt. And it can't be corrected.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Somewhere north of MozambiquePosts: 6,637 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    "Sorry, but the deadline had passed.  We'll be sure to make a footnote though."🙄
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,659 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    "Sorry, but the deadline had passed.  We'll be sure to make a footnote though."🙄
    Be nice to do your job this bad and still have a job, wouldn't it.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Lake County, FloridaPosts: 7,927 Senior Member
    Government agencies are still filled with left-wing holdovers from Obama. No surprise that the lies are still flying out of them.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,908 Senior Member
    Government agencies are still filled with left-wing holdovers from Obama. No surprise that the lies are still flying out of them.
    And Clinton, and Carter...  and that's the deep state that needs purging.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,401 Senior Member
    'Gasp'................You mean to tell me that someone somewhere in a Govt Department made up figures to promote their own agenda?

What is the world coming to!
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Somewhere north of MozambiquePosts: 6,637 Senior Member
    orchidman said:
    'Gasp'................You mean to tell me that someone somewhere in a Govt Department made up figures to promote their own agenda?

What is the world coming to!
    Hard to believe, ain't it?
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin