Home Main Category General Firearms

The 10-22 faux Thompson kit arrived

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
Nice walnut furniture; just needs an oil finish on them to make them right. Metal parts all look good, too, especially the receiver. I'm gonna be busy the next few days with finishing the stock. The kit comes with all necessary wrenches to put it together. I think this will be a fun range toy! I bought a new 10-22 yesterday especially for this kit.

I HAVE NOW TRIED 9 TIMES TO GET A FREAKIN' PICTURE TO UPLOAD. THIS SCREWED UP FORUM SOFTWARE WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO UPLOAD A PHOTO BY ANY METHOD WHATSOEVER. I'M TIRED OF THIS CRAP!

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
― Douglas Adams

Replies

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,540 Senior Member
    Look forward to seeing a picture when you can get one uploaded.  The pictures on the site from the other thread were all small on my computer.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,190 Senior Member
    It takes 10 times...

Shoot me a PM if you like, I can upload it for ya!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,291 Senior Member
    Check your picture format (.jpeg/.jpg works well just about everywhere)

If you have a slow connection, you may have to resize the photo before you try to upload.

I'm assuming you don't have a firewall/security issue.

Otherwise, send to someone on here and they can upload it.

I want to see what it looks like! :o
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I resized the photo to 15% of original size. Format is ALWAYS jpeg. I did a speed check today and I'm back up to 1.3 mbs download and 0.9 mbs upload. THAT was never an issue before the forum changeover, however. It just took a long time for pictures to upload.

I AM NOT taking that mess out of the safe just to take ANOTHER picture on ANOTHER platform that won't upload. Since the OLD forum software worked, and this NEW forum software is the one causing me problems, I think that narrows the problem down quite a bit.

I'm one straw on the camel's back away from just going back to hanging out a lot more on a  couple of OTHER forums where I can upload pictures FULL size without this stupid "File Failed To Upload" error message every time I try to upload a photo.

I'm past tired of putting up with this stupidity trying to upload a 500x520 photo.
    ― Douglas Adams
    I don't think much will help unless I move to someplace that has high speed internet. And the chances of me moving are like 10 raised to the power of negative infinity. If I feel froggy tomorrow I may drive over to the interstate and see if I can upload a picture from there. I can transfer the picture to my phone.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,817 Senior Member
    I have no problems loading pics from down here despite using the old, memory-overloaded work PC or my phone and the cheesy internet speed we "enjoy, BUT have found that depending on the internet browser (Firefox, Explorer or other) I'm using in what computer, sometimes due to reasons I don't know I wouldn't be able to perform ceirtan tasks that usually show no issues in other "combinations".

Not a fan of the "dress up" kits for rimfire guns but still curious to see this one; in fact there's another kit for a 10/22 that will turn it into a MG-42 that seems also quite interesting to say the least
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    I had awful  issues with the new forum software when I was using Internet Explorer.  I tried Google Chrome and the pop-up ads were so aggressive I almost stopped getting on here.  Then someone suggested Mozilla Firefox and that mysteriously made all my issues go away.  I am finding fewer and fewer websites work correctly on Internet Explorer now days.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,953 Senior Member
    I tried to upload a pic on my iPad the other day.  Wouldn't do it.  I gave up.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,071 Senior Member
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    edited August 2018 #11
    Man, glad you likey the kit, anyhow.

Got some weird stuff going on with Spectrum Cox cable. @ 6am it said it was downloading new software, by 10am it almost downloaded was at 96%, I wuz thunkng finally.

The TV screen MSG says do not turn off your box................then lo and behold...............my power flickered a few times and the darn thing started from 0% again. It was quick beep beeps and even the digital clocks didn't have to be reset...............but not the cable box.......any hint of a power flicker and it starts going through a reset menu in the best/normal times.

So I called them and they said viewers in my area are experiencing MSG errors.......and their techs are working on it. No crap Sherlock. I wonder if this was a scheduled forced down software upgrade they knew about, but it ain't working. I was hoping to hit 100% this morn and see if that fixed the problem.

3 hours later and after a trip to Walmart I'm at 54% (Cd 54% on box)................Internet working just fine though. Oh boy..........Cd 56% now.........wow...............
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,297 Senior Member
    Lookout squirrels!
    The Chicago type writer's stalking the woods.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,381 Senior Member
    Looks like lots of fun
    IOU a brick of .22s next SE Shoot
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,295 Senior Member
    Does that have one of those crank up plastic drums ? Years ago I had on in .45 that you wound up a metal drum ...... didn't work well at all.
    I haven't tried the drum yet. I bought it and stuck it back and promptly forgot I had it. I DO have a couple of 28 round .45 ACP drums that work like a champ in my Mech Tech .45 ACP carbine, though.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,653 Senior Member
    <3
    Looking good sir
    <3
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,728 Senior Member
    That does look good, now how does it shoot.
    rberglof said:
    That does look good, now how does it shoot.
    I'll find that out tomorrow. It's hotter 'n' Hoo Ha right now. I'll take it out tomorrow morning and see how it does.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,879 Senior Member
    OH I like it! That's a new bucket list item.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,817 Senior Member
    Looks fine; too bad you can't cut the barrel without having to register it as a SBR. Looking forward to the range test.
    The long barrel makes it balance well. It's butt heavy now, and a light short barrel would make it a bit twitchy shooting offhand. It was 91° and 70% humidity from noon to about 6:00 p.m.  Too hot for me to be messing around along a hot hayfield fence row with the sun beating down on me. I need to build a shooting house down there this winter so I can shoot in the shade.
    ― Douglas Adams
    Oh I don’t care how she feels it needs a short barrel and fins brother, fins!!!  Now I want one!!!
    I like MINE the way it is! All y'all can build yours any way ya want to, though! :D
    ― Douglas Adams
    THAT Tommy gun is not in WWII normal configuration. That would be right at home at the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, though! Green Mountain makes the finned barrel you're looking for, too, but they're out of stock right now.

I can turn out a Cutts Compensator on the lathe and mill in an afternoon when it gets a bit cooler, though.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    I like it. Looks good.

• FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    I’m able to get an Auto Ordnance one from my wholesaler for $1200. I’ve been thinking on it real hard lately.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    That is pretty cool.  I just the other day saw a show that had a reproduction made by Connecticut Shotgun co.  Can't imagine its cheap.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,732 Senior Member
    I’m able to get an Auto Ordnance one from my wholesaler for $1200. I’ve been thinking on it real hard lately.
    A friend of mine made a replica wwII Thompson. It’s an SBR and a hell of a lot of fun to shoot, but it’s heavy! 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Did you get a violin case for it yet? 😎
    It fits in my tennis racquet bag like my Ruger carbine, Mech Tech carbine, and Kel Tec Sub 2000 do, and with room to spare. If I carried it in a violin case, some anus chapeau would ask me to get it out and play them a tune. I have a feeling they wouldn't like the music! :D
    ― Douglas Adams
    The Auto Ordnance semi auto replicas are NICE! They're also pretty doggone heavy. I wish I could find the money to get one; I got other things coming up that just happen to be a LOT more important. Guess I'll have to be satisfied with a semi auto faux Sten firing from closed bolt with an AR 15 fire control group. Anyway, I already have 20 Sten magazines and need something to use them with, and that is an easy build.

My shootin' range is too wet to mess with shooting today. Might set up a target in the back yard between the bands of showers and try that if it will ever stop these off and on showers.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    There plans for that STEN?