Home Main Category General Firearms

Ranger T-Series/New Black Talons Ammo

My son saw some .40 caliber 180 gr. Ranger T-Series ammo for sale on RECOIL GUNWORKS website for $18.95 a box of 50. He surprised me and had them shipped to my home. They arrived yesterday. I owned some 9mm Black Talons back in 1989 and from my research, these Ranger T-Series are the NEW & IMPROVED BT's. I'm sure there is LE here that can verify these as being the same and/or improved BT's from the past. I'm very interested to here any input on these, as well as anything about past BT's. 
THANK YOU!

Replies

• BLUEOVALFITTERBLUEOVALFITTER Posts: 4 New Member
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,862 Senior Member
    Must be so; they wood knot lie.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,862 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard
    Move out of classifieds to General Firearms.
    I'm sorry where I posted. I'm not familiar with the forum yet.
    NN said:
    Welcome aboard
    Thank Ewe.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,082 Senior Member
    Welcome, hey, shoot up some of that ammo and post up a range report please.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,278 Senior Member
    I've heard some people swear by the old BTs. The reliable expansion and the sharp edged bullet jacket petals that result after target impact being the reason. I also remember a board member here that chronographed the Winchester Ranger brand once and reported getting the lowest standard deviations in round to round velocity of any ammunition he'd clocked. I don't advocate or disdain the brand/type, but I consider the reputation to be credible.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    Was working in the industry at the time.  Here's how it went down:

1.  Winchester introduced Back Talon in accordance with the FBI's research that resulted from the '86 Miami shooting.  All the other manufacturers came out with the own flavors using the same data. . .and ya know. . .the stuff all worked pretty well.

2.  Liberal outrage weenies expressed their liberal outrage and threatened to ban all expanding ammo if Winchester didn't pull their sinister black bullet off the market.

3.  Winchester left off the black molycoat and called it "SXT".  Supreme eXpansion Technology or Same eXact Thing - you make the call.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Ken_S_LaTransKen_S_LaTrans Posts: 108 Member
    ...........and the dreaded Black Talon has been FAR eclipsed by more modern defensive ammo in the last 20 years.  But then again some guys still believe that cutting an X into a 38 SWC will make it a super deadly expanding death pellet instead of the semiwadcutter with an X cut in it for no useful reason that it is.
    ONLY THE INFERIOR CRY FOR EQUALITY
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Weren't Black Talons used in the train shootin in Long Island where the killer used a Ruger 9mm pistol and walked from car to car blasting away?

The Antis blamed the evil ammo and got their panties in a wad.

OK here ya go.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    edited August 2018 #12
    Other test show it performed quite well.

Here is a write-up about the Long Island train shootin.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,918 Senior Member
    I have a butt load of .40cal Ranger “T” Series ammo. In 165gr bullets, I believe. 

I’ve tested it and given some to Knitepoet to play with years ago as well. 

I don’t currently run it in any of my handguns. Just have it in reserve. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    I still have a few of 9mm black talon stashed away from several years ago. I didn't know they were Nuclear Tipped 
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,644 Senior Member
    edited August 2018 #15
    Zee said:
    I have a butt load of .40cal Ranger “T” Series ammo. In 165gr bullets, I believe. 

And in my tests, it worked best in my PM40 of anything I've tried, before or since.

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    edited August 2018 #16
    I look at it this way: Remington Core-Lokt ammo will still kill a deer just as dead as it did 50 years ago, when IT was the 'latest and greatest.' Yes, there are dozens of bullets that test out better and make lovely expansion 'flowers,' but an old technology bullet placed into a vital zone will still get the job done.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    I have found this website to be a useful tool for selecting self defense ammo:
    They very clearly explain their testing methods, which very closely resemble the FBI testing protocols.  They do not attempt to tell you which ammo is better than another, they just post the results and let you make your own decision.  The .40 caliber 180 gr. Ranger T-Series ammo you were given is one of those tested.

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,720 Senior Member
    edited September 2018 #18
    A few months back I scored a box of 1k Remington golden saber JHP’s for the whopping sum of $40. Pretty sure I’m going to run those a while.... 

Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,082 Senior Member
    Elk creek said:
    A few months back I scored a box of 1k Remington golden saber JHP’s for the whopping sum of $40. Pretty sure I’m going to run those a while.... 

Oh, that deserves a you suck!
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Well thank you!
    I had a buttload if BT ammmo from way back when.  I was going to shoot it off and/or carry it, then I found out what folks were paying for it on GB.  Sold all of it one box at a time for very good money... 😎
    Probably paid for a downsizing find!🤣
    Elk creek said:
    I had a buttload if BT ammmo from way back when.  I was going to shoot it off and/or carry it, then I found out what folks were paying for it on GB.  Sold all of it one box at a time for very good money... 😎
    Probably paid for a downsizing find!🤣
    Maybe...
    🤣love it!
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,289 Senior Member
    Zee said:

I have a truckload of this stuff in .45 acp sitting in storage.

These days, I just use PDX1 because it's easily bought over the counter at the LGS.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain