Home Main Category General Firearms

Cannon Safe Question

terminator012terminator012 Senior MemberPosts: 3,929 Senior Member
This might not be the right forum but here goes.  My safe has the push button keypad with a 4 digit code. Every time I enter the code the first time it will not open. Usually does in the second one but sometimes it takes three. Installed new batteries and it didn't fix it. It's been doing it awhile but it's starting to get annoying. Anyone ever had this problem? If so how did you fix it? It usually gets opened 2 or 3 times a day because I keep some of my every day stuff locked up in there at night.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,304 Senior Member
    Have the same type safe...no issues like you describe...have you called customer service?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Have the same type safe...no issues like you describe...have you called customer service?
    Not yet. It's probably 10 years old now. I will give them a call soon.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,381 Senior Member
    You might try resetting the combination
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    May have to call this guy...........

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,331 Senior Member
    I have the exact same issue with my Cannon safe. Called them a while back and they said be sure to use a "new fresh" battery. Did that and it hasn't really changed. 

Need to call back and get it repaired. 
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,125 Senior Member
    I had a problem with my digital lock on a 10+ year old Cannon safe last spring. I got hold of customer service and had a new lock assy sent to me within about 10 days. As long as the door is open, the lock is very easy to replace. I was expecting to have to pay for the part due to the age of the safe but it was all free of charge.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
    I have had the same combination all these years. Guess I need to give them a call after the holiday to see what they suggest. I'm not even sure where the book is. I'd have to call or Google to remember how to change the code. Thanks for the replies thus far.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,653 Senior Member
    Probably good advice from Wambli.

I agree it's probably worn/dirty contacts on those exact numbers from 10 years of constant use
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,295 Senior Member
    Touch pads do that after long term use. The cheapest way is to change #s or try to get a free one from the company. That is why I like the combo. locks better than the touch pads. I have both types but will only buy combos. here on out. On my ATM safes I will keep touch pads because I want to get in & out quick ..... with the gun safes I don't need to rush.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,190 Senior Member
    Mechanical dials where-every possible, mechanical push button combos in fast access situations. "Technology" needn't apply.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    I am going with a different idea.  10 years of daily use three times a day is about 11,000 openings.  The pad actuates a bolt release mechanism that allows the bolts to be then moved with handle.  I am guessing, but that bolt release must have a actuator and it is likely weak after 10 years and 11,000 actuations.  Just my humble opinion.
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS said:
    I am going with a different idea.  10 years of daily use three times a day is about 11,000 openings.  The pad actuates a bolt release mechanism that allows the bolts to be then moved with handle.  I am guessing, but that bolt release must have a actuator and it is likely weak after 10 years and 11,000 actuations.  Just my humble opinion.
    You may be on to something. When I put the code in it makes the sound like it should open but the handle won't turn. Enter it again and most of the time it opens.