My power company is EVIL!

QuinianQuinian Senior MemberPosts: 707 Senior Member
So the jerks annouced today that they will be turning off the power to over 1K Lockwood residents for 5 hours in the middle of the night thrusday night/friday morning...in the middle of winter. :mad: :cuss: I for one don't have a fire place, my stove is electric, the munchkin needs white noise to sleep, WHEN she wakes up I won't be able to feed her because no microwave for a bottle. And what's that gonna do to my fridge and 2 freezers?! Well I guess when the temp in the house drops to 30-40 the food will stay cold... This piece of crap house I'm in was built before building codes existed and if it ever had insulation it's long sense gone.

They said they were doing it so they could fix a transformer. Colorado Spgs Utilitys (where my mom is) has blown transformers non stop and they never have to have power off for more than the time it takes to reroute then re-hook it up to the new box. This place is ****. City is over budget so what do they do? Spend the entire snow removal budget for 2011 back in feb, then build a 2 million dollar library. I really need to move.

/rant

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,044 Senior Member
    Absolute lack of power corrup. . . nevermind. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,536 Senior Member
    likely a big transformer at a sub station.

Its done in the middle to help keep people safe, most people are not using much power then and it will affect people in the least.

Your alternative is to wait until it blows, then be out for 10-20 hours.

You really need to get a plan for when power goes out. Like a sterno stove for heating a bottle, batt driven radio, learn that a freezer will keep for 24 hours at a minimum as long as you dont open it. 7-P rule applies.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    I have a plan for when power goes out and have all the gas burning goodys but this is still a buncha crap IMO
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    Yeah, we civilized humans have been made accustomed to electrical pwr and the thought it will always be there, at least in your case you have devices to keep the family alive until they fix it; a lot of the eldery do not and if they did can't use the stuff if they had it.

Pwr coop does that stuff in summer and that can be problems for the eldery as well.

I am seriously considering getting a whole house generator, I realize you might not plan on living in that house long enough to do that.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • airheadairhead Member Posts: 424 Member
    Yea, I'd either be gassing up the generator or running a cord from an inverter in my car.
    Gotta have a CPAP to sleep.

Don't know where you are, but in FL, being without power is almost normal a couple of times a year.

Prior planning prevents poor performance.
    This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,865 Senior Member
    Ok,, first off, fridge and freezer will be fine for that length of time without power as long as you're not constantly opening them.

Secondly, get you three to six BRICKS (not the concrete cinder blocks) wrap them in a layer of aluminum foil. put them in your oven a few hours before the scheduled power outage, with the oven turned up towards its highest temp(450+). That can provide some heat for the house, if needed, plus be a source of heat for the baby's bottles.

Even if you have an electric hot water heater it will take quite a while for those ~40 gallons of water, in an insulated "barrel" basically, to cool. So you'll have hot/warm water for a while. Just use it sparingly, since you'll be introducing cold water into it with every use.

At least you're getting a couple of days notice. I lost my power a couple of weeks ago due to a stupid women running off the road and snapping the next pole up from my driveway. Took them about 7 hours to get it replaced and the power back on.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,865 Senior Member
    Oh, and if you're still worried about the fridge and freezer, FILL THEM UP. The more stuff in them, the more heat it will take to warm the temp inside. If that means gallon freezer bags full of water, so be it. Put them in and let them freeze.
    You can even add a pinch of salt to the water and lower it's freezing point.

I made some "gel ice" packs with 1/3 rubbing alcohol 2/3 water and a teaspoon of salt and they'll be completely "melted" and still be @ 20-25 degrees and frosty on the outside
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,744 Senior Member
    Do you have any good friends or family that live close by but not in the outage zone? You could always find someone else to stay with. Also if you absolutely can't live without the power you could always spend the $40-50 to stay in a hotel for the night.

Also even if your house is poorly insulated, I can't see it dropping much below 60 in 5 hours without heat. Try turning up the furnace to maybe 80 that night before you go to bed and it'll give you a bit more room for the temp to drop. Also if you house really is that poorly insulated sounds like a very good way to spend your tax refund. I'm pretty sure there are quite a few home energy efficiency tax credit programs and your power company may even have incentives. For a few grand you can probably significantly drop your winter heating bill and assuming you're going to live in the house more than a couple more years you should easily make your money back and more.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,148 Senior Member
    Power outages are routine in my area. After the hurricanes of '04 and '05 here, I invested in a 6.5 KW generator. It runs everything but the air conditioning/heat and the stove.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    power going out isnt that rare actually due to ice build up snapping power lines. I just hate my power company. Last time power went out at night temp dropped to 50 in less than 2 hours in here. This house has some bad leaks on top of the insulation issues. It's a rental and I've complained but they wont do anything about it. Found out from last time that if we close all the bedroom doors and hang a sheet between the kitchen and living room, the living room will stay at a livable temp.

Yeah I planned on crankin up the heat before it goes out and doing the living room trick. I don't own a generator but aside from that I've got just about every bit of camping/survival gear you can imagine so I'll be fine. I just like to whine ;) plus like I said I really hate my power company. I really don't see why they wouldn't do it in the day though. The county built a new road in front of my place and had to have the power out for a few hours between like 10am and 2pm or something. Hardly even noticed it had even turned off and I was home that day.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,148 Senior Member
    Quinian wrote: »
    Yeah I planned on crankin up the heat before it goes out and doing the living room trick. I don't own a generator but aside from that I've got just about every bit of camping/survival gear you can imagine so I'll be fine.
    OK, so if you have a few of those propane powered camping heaters or stoves, you can heat and cook...no problem. BTW, I live in an electrical cooperative area, and they are a little better, but the number of power outages we get are ridiculous, and we don't even have any ice in the winter...mostly exploding transformers are the problem. Must be Chinese made crap.:rotflmao:
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,536 Senior Member
    It isnt done during the day because during the day is when most people are using the service. How do you thing that all of the bus. in the area, not accounting for hosp., EMS, police and fire would do if they wanted to cut in the middle of the day. Also, between 1200-0600 is called the maintinance window. They can take it down without warning. That are pretty nice to let you know ahead of time.

Not accounting for the fact that when the power is being drawn it is a tad more dangerous than when it is dead. Sure the transformer will be cold when it is being installed, but you have to connect it and bring it on line. It isnt like plugging in a light.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,661 Senior Member
    What exactly would you have the power company do?

I'm surprised they even gave you a early warning.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Buford wrote: »
    What exactly would you have the power company do?

What ever it is that CSU does. I don't know what they're doing other than "replacing a transformer" which CSU does all the time. When they do it, they just reroute power from another line while repairs take place. Powers only ever out for 5 mins or so unless a tree fell on a line or something. If I had my own place it wouldn't be an issue at all. I'd just be like fine cut the power have fun with that doesn't matter to me, but here my stupid landlord wont let me hook up the solar goodys.

Mostly I'm just worried about the temp in here. I can still make some food and a few hrs with no power isn't a big deal. If you're bored grab a book, but the temp thing bothers me. I have no way at all of heating the place and you guys seriously don't understand how bad or how fast the temp changes in my house with no power. If I were single I wouldn't care just put on more clothes and deal with it but I'm gonna have Mrs I don't like being cold and the munchkin who hates wearing any clothes at all muchless a coat for extended times. Luckly the kids a polar bear so I doubt she'll mind being a little cold.

They seriously picked a bad time to kill the power at night.
    The three of you in bed with heavy covers should put out some good heat.
  • 44special44special Member Posts: 64 Member
    As with most folk, you have no clue as to what it takes to replace a step-down transformer at a substation. The good news is, it will be on site as well as the heavy equipment to make the replacement. The bad news is, it's fairly massive and the crews DO have to work safely and deliberately to prevent damage to utility and customer equipment, as well as safegueard the lives of the workers. One more thing, your utility is a city owned utility. if it were a investor owned utility, they would have arranged for alternate power supply to their customers. City owned don't have that luxury. Of course that's the price you pay for not having "evil corporate" power supply. They did give you advance warning. So, if you don't trust your domicile to keep from freezing or your appliances to keep your food from spoiling, ship the family out to friends and family, shut off your water, and either buy dry ice for your freezer or ship out all your perishables to friends/family. Keep the baby's bottles close to you and they will be comforateably warm. Lastly, QUIT WHINING!

BTW, I reread your post. Your power will be off as you sleep. Where is the inconvenience? Meanwhile, the repair crew is out in the cold and dark in the wee hours to replenish power. Don't tell me you'd prefer the juice out during the daylight hours. I can't imagine any commercial business in your area griping about such service.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    My electric power is provided by a co-op. The switchyards have spare transformers already in place to take care of a bad one. Your city owned utility may have opted not to have the spare transformer in place, so they have to cut power to replace the bad one. It does take a good amount of extra equipment to set it up.

Regarding doing the work at night, along with the above reasons already given, there is one more. After installation, the new transformer needs to be tested at lower power before it is forced to supply full power. An unforeseen problem with a breaker may crop up. Best it is found at low power rather than full power. A breaker fault can be excessively nasty and destructive, taking out a major portion of the switchgear.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

Well are you still there?
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,611 Senior Member
    Dec '08 lost juice from ice storm for 6 straight days- neighbors 5-10 miles north no power for 18 days. It could happen anywhere to anyone anytime. If you are totally reliant on the work of others for your quality of life, maybe you should rethink your lifestyle and what is important to keep you and your people safe and warm when the doo-doo hits the fan.