Home Main Category Clubhouse

Anyone know anything about hatchets?

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberLiving in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,032 Senior Member
This was my Dad's, who passed several years ago. I know no details, just know we have had it a while. Long enough to replace the handle.
Wondering what the spike is for....

I'm just here for snark.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Maybe for fighting fires?
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,280 Senior Member
    edited August 2018 #3
    I have seen similar that Officers and "Truckees" carried in the Fire Service in some departments back in the day...sort of a small version of the Fire or Pickhead axe...
    I used to carry a small halligan tool...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member VirginiaPosts: 8,337 Senior Member
    We had a few of those when I was a young volunteer FF.  They just called them “entry tools”.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,032 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    If it ain’t sharp, it’s useless. ;-)
    That's some good advice...
    I'm just here for snark.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,659 Senior Member
    You could repel boarders in front of you and behind you without changing your grip.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    You could always bury it.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Living in a van, down by the river.Posts: 14,032 Senior Member
    You could always bury it.
    In whose skull?
    I'm just here for snark.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member In the sticks, OHPosts: 5,617 Senior Member
    Look for small stamps, proof marks,  etc.  Dont sharpen with a power tool, it messes up the temper.
    Much like old guns, the value in old axes and hatchets is in the patina, and original condition 
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Pensacola, FLPosts: 10,826 Senior Member
    Google Mattock.  It’s a tool with an axe blade on one side of the head and a adze or pick on the other used to aid in digging holes.
    A mattock has a horizontal blade for digging. A pickaxe is also for digging. That is a fire axe....

nbb 
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Well, whatever you call it, the full growed version of that the same weight and length as an axe was what was and is called a 'grubbing axe' in these parts. In use the blade is used to cut tree roots, and the pick point is used to dig up/pry up the roots for removal. Also, when digging a ditch/drain line by hand, they come in right handy for removing any deep tree roots that you encounter while digging. They beat the devil out of a mattock for that job.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • ojrojr Senior Member New ZealandPosts: 1,341 Senior Member
    The ones your talking about tenmike we call a Grubber way over here as well.
    Don't see so many about now but when I was a kid every household had one in the shed.
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    ojr said:
    The ones your talking about tenmike we call a Grubber way over here as well.
    Don't see so many about now but when I was a kid every household had one in the shed.
    I guess you and I don't see so many now is because people will hire stuff done rather than do it themselves anymore. I can't even begin to count the times I ended up on my backside pulling up roots cut with one of those things! :D  You'd be straining your guts out trying to get that root to move, and all of a sudden it would release and over you'd go. 

I learned how to use a draw knife peeling bark of black locust fence posts when I was still in single digits age. My Dad showed me how to hold it and do one post, and then left me with a stack of posts that had to have been around 250 that needed skinnin'. At least I could work in the shade! The fence I helped build nearly 50 years ago still has a lot of those same posts in the fence row. Those things seem to last forever on high well drained ground.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    This was my Dad's, who passed several years ago. I know no details, just know we have had it a while. Long enough to replace the handle.
    Wondering what the spike is for....

Looks almost like a full grown axe. I've used the spike end for everything from busting up a stump to digging and busting up the ground. They're pretty useful.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • hawk18hawk18 Senior Member OrygunPosts: 742 Senior Member
    Google "naval boarding axe". I doubt that that's what it is but it's more romantic than "fire demolition tool". 

Hawk
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Miami, FL almost in the USA ;)Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Design looks like the back is used for digging or leveraging in a crack like a door.  Would not be unusual in that time frame for a smith to have made it as a one off.  If the “pick” end is sharp you could also scrape narrow areas creating tinder for a fire.  Imagination is endless.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester: