Defense Carry Insurance

North ForestNorth Forest MemberPosts: 297 Member
Do any of you carry policies from any of these companies that offer coverage of legal fees etc. for the inevitable deep moose plop that you'd be in, in the unfortunate event that you actually had to drop a bad guy for personal or home defense? Seems like a good idea but I wonder if anybody here uses this, and if so by what companies that are reputable.

Anyone?

Replies

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 909 Senior Member
    edited September 1 #2
    I use U.S. Law Shield.  Under $40 a month and covers me in all 50 states and my entire family in Florida.  Unlike the NRA Carry Guard, you don't have to finance your own defense and get reimbursed if you win.  U.S. Law Shield supplies the attorneys (who are up to date on gun law), there is $0 out of pocket and there is no cap on the amount they will spend for your defense.  Members also have free access to attorneys via phone for any gun law related questions.  It started in Texas as Texas Law Shield and is expanding to other states.  Membership is not available in all states yet though. The guy who recommended them to me is the commander of the local Sheriff SWAT team and has used them for his own defense in civil cases resulting from Officer involved incidents.......cases where the Florida Department of Law Enforcement cleared him quickly but lawsuits were filed anyway.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,128 Senior Member
    I'm not against it - I just haven't seen any testimonials from folks who have benefited from it. The last thing I'm gonna do is take a lawyer's word on what he says he will do.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,633 Senior Member
    bisley said:
    I'm not against it - I just haven't seen any testimonials from folks who have benefited from it. The last thing I'm gonna do is take a lawyer's word on what he says he will do.
    That’s my thoughts. Other than I’ll roll the dice. The chances of me getting in a shootout are slim. The chances of me getting in a shootout where I’ll need legal assistance is more slim. 

Yes, I know.  I’m wrong. I should spend money for a retainer.  The instant a self defense shooting happens I should lawyer up and hide.  My life’s  over. Financial ruin. Gloom, despair, and agony on me.  I’m so ignorant of real life events, because I haven’t talked to lawyers,  judges, politicians or the Flying Spaghetti Monster. 
    But if something bad does happen, I’ll glady eat crow. Till then, let them fly around and mess with owls and eat dead stuff along the road. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 17,348 Senior Member
    I use U.S. Law Shield.  Under $40 a month and covers me in all 50 states and my entire family in Florida.  Unlike the NRA Carry Guard, you don't have to finance your own defense and get reimbursed if you win.  U.S. Law Shield supplies the attorneys (who are up to date on gun law), there is $0 out of pocket and there is no cap on the amount they will spend for your defense. ...
    The guy that taught the CCW class I was in recommended these guys as well - said the NRA program sucks pretty much for the reasons you state here.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,511 Senior Member
    edited September 2 #6
    I have a personal/business relationship with a VERY good attorney who does my all my legal work and was a past DA in my state.  I have his card in my wallet, his phone number on speed dial and his commitment that he will immediately show up and counsel me should the need ever arise.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,394 Senior Member
    In Fla IF you act under the SYG law and it is ruled as such, you can't be sued in a civil court.

However, if it is not immediately ruled justified under SYG and the state goes after you I don't know then and those Ins policies could help in your defense. I don't think they can file a civil suit until after the criminal trial is over, I could be wrong.

It is a shame folks get sued for justifiable SD in a civil court where the burden of proof is much lower which amounts to nothing more than a jury feeling sorry for the thugs family and what he 'Might' have become...... like when the family says he was a good boy who wanted to attend college ..... I mean if the perp was committing a crime while he got shot why should anyone have to pay for his bad actions which resulted in him being justifiably shot. 

Sure something to look into.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,394 Senior Member
    I hope and pray none of us ever have to be placed in a situation to be forced to shoot someone in SD, but it does happen. 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,713 Senior Member
    I think $500 a year for insurance you'll probably never use is a cost way too much to be practical. SD shooting is so rare it's reported on Facebook by the NRA etc.  If you're justified, you're justified, and most of us know when to shoot (very rare) and when to sit it out.

If you're extremely paranoid, you can get asteroid insurance with about the same amount of having to use it.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Even if it is justified, that doesn't mean the DA sees it that way.  Keep in mind they are political animals.  Even if you successfully defend yourself against an aggressive, politically motivated prosecutor, you still have to pay for your defense out of your own pocket.  I would not want to trust my freedom to a court appointed attorney.  Maybe some of you can come up with that kind of cash on short notice.....I know I can't.
    To me, it is like fire insurance.  Just makes sense to have it, but you hope you never need it.  I am not going to cry about all the money I wasted on fire insurance if my house never burns down.
    Even if it is justified, that doesn't mean the DA sees it that way.  Keep in mind they are political animals.  Even if you successfully defend yourself against an aggressive, politically motivated prosecutor, you still have to pay for your defense out of your own pocket.  I would not want to trust my freedom to a court appointed attorney.  Maybe some of you can come up with that kind of cash on short notice.....I know I can't.
    To me, it is like fire insurance.  Just makes sense to have it, but you hope you never need it.  I am not going to cry about all the money I wasted on fire insurance if my house never burns down.
    Yep.

I had been thinking about US Law Shield for some time, this thread made me go ahead and sign up. For well less than HALF of a typical smartfone plan, my derriere is covered.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,199 Senior Member
    Nope...at least in Michigan if you are prosecuted for a self-defense shooting and you are found not guilty, the state/municipality is responsible for the costs of your defense....

Since Michigan and other states law was based on Florida law, it would be wise to peruse your states law closely and thoroughly...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Assuming a justifiable shooting (and what other reason on earth would I ever have to draw and shoot) and the counsel of a VERY competent attorney I expect to be held up no longer than what it takes to take my statement and get my gun back.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    If you get such insurance, what is the quality of the attorney you're assigned?  Excellent lawyers are usually not pool lawyers.  Is there a guarantee on the lawyer, or is he/she going to be a recent law school graduate?  If I'm ever charged with a crime, I'm going to get someone I know to defend me.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    U.S. Law Shield does not use pool lawyers.  They have independent attorneys on retainer in the states that they cover who are very familiar with the laws of that state.  The guy who recommended them to me had personal experience with U.S. Law Shield supplied attorneys defending him in court.  He was very pleased with the experience.

Too each their own, if you can afford to hire a quality lawyer at the drop of the hat, that sounds like the best solution for you.  I can't afford that, hence I do what I can do, which is to use a service that came recommended to me by someone who has personal experience with their services.
    BTW I’m NOT against insurance and I look back into it periodically.  Someday I’ll probably find my personal tipping point, just hasn’t happened yet but I highly recommend everyone makes their own assessment like folks here have done.  Not everyone has a great lawyer on speed dial so you need to adapt to your individual circumstances.  It’s the smart thing to do.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,694 Senior Member
    Florida law specifies that you can use "deadly physical force" only in certain circumstances: when you or another person is in danger of imminent death or serious physical injury by an attacker. Mr. Zimmerman was justified in his case under the law, but was only prosecuted because of political reasons. Most state laws are probably similar to this, and I can't imagine shooting someone for any other reason. However, having some kind of lawyers insurance is probably a good idea.
    I HAVE HATED COMMUNISTS EVEN BEFORE THEY CHANGED
    THEIR NAME TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES
    I wouldn't trust my freedom to a $600 a year lawyer.  I can't afford a primo lawyer until (unless) I needed one.  Then it's the best I can afford/hire.  Ten years of NOT needing one will get you a pretty competent one as needed.  Save your money, or if you're paranoid, get the insurance plan.  Me, I don't plan on needing one.

With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,435 Senior Member
    edited September 18 #19
    Wife and I both have US Lawshield. $200 per year is cheap for having an attorney on retainer. Not to mention substantial bail money guaranteed. You may be arrested even in a justifiable shoot.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    I sincerely hope you never have to use it.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Gene L said:
    I sincerely hope you never have to use it.
    Yep, just like my medical, car and home owners! I hope I never need it for anything substantial.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    The only insurance I no longer carry is life insurance. Since I am debt free and my funeral is already paid for this is the only insurance I am sure I no longer need!
    Life insurance is a ripoff in most cases - and I'm sick and tired of EVERYBODY trying to sell me life insurance. Everybody from banks to the local hooker on the street corner sells life insurance!

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,071 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Life insurance is a ripoff in most cases - and I'm sick and tired of EVERYBODY trying to sell me life insurance. Everybody from banks to the local hooker on the street corner sells life insurance!
    I thought it was just me. Maybe an age thing?
    I thought it was just me. Maybe an age thing?
    I dunno. I fail to see what a late middle aged man needs with life insurance. It can be a good thing (tm) for the young with families; but for those of us who have more runway behind us than ahead of us, not so much.

I refuse to believe Ward Cleaver was in a rip-off business.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,633 Senior Member
    My life insurance is one times my salary for free. Then each additional whatever amount I pay for. Ionger you work here the more you are allowed to get. I’ve got like 4-5 times my salary, and it costs literally less than a buck a week. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,335 Senior Member
    I view this insurance like any other insurance. If something happens can I handle the loss and is the insurance affordable and provide good coverage. I have not found any insurance that fills that bill for me but I have not heard of US lawshield so I will look at it. I am not worried about something happening where I live but when traveling in other states. 
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,924 Senior Member
    I view all insurance as a bet. The consumer is betting they'll need it, and the insurance company is betting that you won't
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 5,967 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    I view all insurance as a bet. The consumer is betting they'll need it, and the insurance company is betting that you won't
    This seems to be the gist of it... and I agree. For the comparatively small amount, anti bad guy insurance makes some sense... but, then so does NOT getting the coverage...🤔
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,924 Senior Member
    This seems to be the gist of it... and I agree. For the comparatively small amount, anti bad guy insurance makes some sense... but, then so does NOT getting the coverage...🤔
    Contrary to all the friendly ads, Ins company aren't "there" for their customers, they're "there" for their stockholders.
    That's why premiums go up and/or customers get dropped after a claim.

I love the one's that offer money back for not filing a claim, that you no longer get back after a claim, but thanks to the semantics of it, "Your premium doesn't go up" But instead of getting a percentage of it back, the ins company keeps it all.
    Technically, your premiums didn't go up, but the amount it's costing you every month did
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.