Home Main Category Hunting

Judge Temporarily Halts Wyoming, Idaho Grizzly Hunt

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberKaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
I'm still baffled how one judge can override the USWFS. 

“The judge relied on a dubious 9th circuit case law reference by stating that irreparable harm can be caused by the death of one bear in this year’s hunt instead of the more reasonable and scientific approach of evaluating impacts on population levels.”

Specifically, Christensen wrote, “The threat of death to individual bears posed by the scheduled hunts is sufficient” to temporarily halt the hunts, adding the restraining order was put in place because anti-hunting groups “were likely to succeed” based on their arguments. He also wrote, “Organizational plaintiffs…have established personal interests in the enjoyment of the species.”

Plaintiffs include the Humane Society of the United States, Alliance for the Wild Rockies, Center for Biological Diversity, Wild Earth Guardians and nine Native American tribes, among others.

http://www.petersenshunting.com/conservation-politics/judge-temporarily-halts-wyoming-idaho-grizzly-hunt/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_term=sportsmanchannel&utm_content=grizzly
When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,656 Senior Member
    I just read about the proposed hunt in the most recent "Outdoor Life" , seems like the states had their ducks in a row, they are already shooting quite a few annually as a nuisance or attacking bears, they were going to halt the entire hunt once 2 sows were taken regardless if they reached their quotas for issued tags in WY, same crap we have with wolves in MN, I wonder if you can sue these groups back as sportsmen.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    edited September 2018 #3
    Let me guess...there are absolutely no anti-hunting special interest groups lining this judge’s pockets.

The notion that a single bear’s death can cause irreparable harm is hilarious given that plenty assuredly die from natural attrition and existing human/bear conflict euthanasia, but whatever.  We knew this transition toward sanity was not going to be a straight and easy path.  We also knew that the idds of the hunt kicking off without a hitch were also low.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    As politically screwed up as the state game agency is here in Colorado. They are the only ones capable of managing the wildlife resources for a sustainable future. The states game agencies have to be allowed to do their jobs or these special interest groups will be just as out of luck as everyone else that wants a future for wildlife species.
    Policy hast to be determined by hard data collected in the field. Available habitat, numbers of animals, seasonal weather, etcetera and so on. My point being such litigation should be a slam dunk for the state.

And hunters are the only people that put their money where their mouth is, except maybe also ranchers and farmers.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    As politically screwed up as the state game agency is here in Colorado. They are the only ones capable of managing the wildlife resources for a sustainable future. The states game agencies have to be allowed to do their jobs or these special interest groups will be just as out of luck as everyone else that wants a future for wildlife species.
    Policy hast to be determined by hard data collected in the field. Available habitat, numbers of animals, seasonal weather, etcetera and so on. My point being such litigation should be a slam dunk for the state.

And hunters are the only people that put their money where their mouth is, except maybe also ranchers and farmers.
    The problem is that a lot of the people represting the base for these anti-hunting special interest groups would literally rather have a species go extinct than allow it to be hunted and save it via the North American conservation model.  Look no further than the scimitar horned oryx’s plight in its native African territory and the movement to ban hunting them on Texas ranches.  The ranches are some of the last self-sustaining populations negating functional extinction, but bleeding hearts want the hunting to stop, even if it means the species’ demise.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Kaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:

The problem is that a lot of the people represting the base for these anti-hunting special interest groups would literally rather have a species go extinct than allow it to be hunted and save it via the North American conservation model.  Look no further than the scimitar horned oryx’s plight in its native African territory and the movement to ban hunting them on Texas ranches.  The ranches are some of the last self-sustaining populations negating functional extinction, but bleeding hearts want the hunting to stop, even if it means the species’ demise.
    And when the species finally goes extinct, the same special interest groups will claim it was because of humans regardless. 

If the grizzly hunts are allowed to resume, the first guy taking one will be in a world of hurt. I remember the guy who took the first wolf in Idaho. He had death threats, harassment, and complained of the local militia guarding his house. I can imagine the first grizzly in the lower 48 will generate the same reactions from the loonies.  
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    These animal rights people are worse thsn Uncle Joe let loose in Berlin.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,692 Senior Member
    The antis will cry that it's so horrible that a game management system would put a dollar value on the life of a bear, lion, elephant, whatever.  The reality they can't wrap their little pea brains around is that, without the monetary input of those hunting fees, the animal becomes either a nuisance or a protein source, and its habitat becomes more valuable either plowed under as farmland, or bulldozed as a housing tract.  In short, it's the dollar value of those things that will quickly supersede the dollar value they do not allow the creature and its habitat to have.

The irony here is that both hunters and the antis want preservation of the species and habitat, but which of the two is actually putting forth the financial incentive to stop the decline?  The disinterested middle doesn't give a fig about anything but its own comforts - the hunters are willing to pay to keep "progress" at bay, where the antis want to accomplish this with "feels".  Cash is going to tell the tale, and if wildlife isn't allowed to have a price tag, it's going to be gone.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member

The problem isn't anti-hunting groups.  It's judges who wield way too much power.  Don't like a law or Presidential order?  Just find a like minded judge and problem solved.  One single person can over-ride the will of millions of people.

It's not just a tactic used by the left, either.  During Obama's reign, some of his proclamations were stopped or over-turned by judges. 

Perhaps this should be moved to the 2A forum.  It's a political issue, not a hunting one.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.